SST-90-R My first custom build

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
About a month ago I asked for recommendations on Red hunting lights. For a long range unit, one recommendation was to use an SST-90-R
A month later I am happy with the results..

My first custom light, Purchased parts:
Mag 2D
SST-90-R
H6FLEX
2 x 26700 Emoli (free)
DX reflector
Arctic Alumina epoxy

The rest is all DIY machining. The switch was replaced with a modded momentary switch, a sleeve was made for the bats, and the tail cap and spring were changed a bit to get the bats to fit.

100_0372.jpg

100_0373.jpg

100_0375.jpg

100_0377.jpg

testing the setup on 2 1100mA VPX A123 cells
100_0378.jpg

BIGRED_10.jpg

BIGRED_11.jpg

BIGRED_12.jpg

BIGRED_13.jpg

BIGRED_14.jpg

BIGRED_15.jpg

HB021

Newly Enlightened
Nice job, maybe stupid question but what is the red light used for in hunting?

Al Combs

Enlightened
I agree with Epsilon about the excellent machining effort. Is that a modified Der Wichtel heatsink or a homemade one that looks like it? Can't wait to see the beamshots.:naughty:

Curdog92

Newly Enlightened
Nice job! What kind of throw do you get? I have red and green filters (made by Olight) for my SR-90. Green has a noticably greater reach when it comes to throw. (Or, humans see green much easier than red.) Red light is known for being less likely to spook most animals. I have found the same with green.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Very nice work on that heatsink, how long did it take you make it? Looks like it was well worth the effort. Please post some beamshots if you can, can't wait to see this thing in action.:naughty:

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
Heat sink and head are home lathed and milled. Reflector is from DX. I laid out the heat sink in AutoCAD14, but did the head on the fly. If I did it again, I would rather have done it as one piece and eliminate the stock mag head, but I didn't have the proper sized aluminum stock to start with and was too anxious. (was a piece of thick walled axle tube from a stockcar rear end?) Also the LED tower I'd make shorter. the reflector doesn't need to go down around the LED for best focus, and better heat sinking could be had if it was shorter. I may make a copper donut insert to plug it up?

Will work on taking beam shots this weekend. In the basement compared to my cheep 3AAA reflector host with red luxeon and my 2c task force with same, BIG RED lights up the whole room. While shining at our barn from 50 yds to focus it, I noticed a set of eyes WAY off to the left down the road about 200 yds. When directly aimed, it turned out to be a black cat coming down the road. Really lit him up good. I thought my 2C task force with the red Lux LED had some throw, but BIG RED is just awesome! Shine it into the trees and I see tasty bunnies everywhere!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
would you be interested in making 1 more head extention just like yours?? same one, doesn't have to be one piece head, i would buy one from you.

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
After seeing how good it runs, I am interested in making another, but with a regular white LED. That being said, I may end up locating stock to make another, but in a one piece. Maybe I'll shoot to make a few more to sell if that happens, but no promises.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Very interesting. I use red for hunting foxes (custom XP-E pill in a Solarforce M3)