Torn between G25C2 and SC600

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I've been wanting to get a high lumen 1X18650 for a while. The G25C2 and SC600 both really intrigue me. I like EagleTacs in general, especially now that they are upgradable through the drop-ins. But I really like what I have read about the SC600 - small size, the beam, the side switch, the various output levels. I've read the threads covering both lights - lots of good info. But not exactly answering the question in my head.

So, I come to you for input. This will be an all purpose light for me: bedside, take the dog on a nighttime walk, power outage - whatever the case may be. I think the beam quality is comparable, with the SC600 giving me closer to what I want (a lot of light over the area where I point vs a thrower). I want whatever I get to be easily operated with one hand. If I have the dog on a leash in one hand, that hand won't be available to rotate the head of whatever I'm carrying.

All of that said - what say you? Anybody who owns both? Can you tell me the G25C2 is good in one hand? Will the SC600 be a faithful companion for many years to come, one that won't leave me jealous of the new kid on the block? Have the lights lived up to your expectations?

BTW - hat-tip to Tod at Illumination Gear for the feedback he has provided me already!

Thanks to all!

gibnej

Newly Enlightened
Since you don't mind the limited throw of the SC600, I think it is the one to get for you; it really is the ultimate all purpose light. The user interface might not be for everyone, but it is truly one of the best once you learn it. The SC600 is definitely without a doubt the better light for one handed use. Also, while I don't really have any complaints about EagleTac quality, the Zebralights (and in particular the SC600) feel like higher quality lights to me.

If I could change anything about the SC600 I would probably actually make it a bit longer. It's too big to EDC for me, and since I have big hands, it feels a bit small for an every day all purpose light. However, it's small size also means it's easily pocket-able, which can be really nice sometimes. You should probably think about what size you want your flashlight to be, since these two flashlights are really almost in different size classes even though they are both 1x18650.

I think the SC600 is probably the better choice for you, and it will certainly be a faithful companion for years to come. In fact, the SC600 is such an awesome light it almost takes the fun out of being a flashaholic... it makes justifying other purchases really hard! :sick2:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and they are different. I don't think you could upgrade the emitter on the G25C2 but I may be wrong. As you have stated, you prefer a wall of light and I think the SC600 would be a better choice. Among these two, SC600 is my primary go to light for all situations. It is smaller, covers a bigger area, has instant low and high output, and is easily manipulated with one hand. I bought the G25C2 primarily for the extra throw in situation where the SC600 couldn't do so and that's what I primarily use the Eagletac for. I have the optional diffuser fitted to the G25C2 but I still end up using the SC600 most of the time. If you are going to get one then I think it makes more sense to get the SC600 for the very reason that it's smaller form factor makes it easier to EDC.

thaugen

Enlightened
I have had both and still have the SC600w...I would recommend the SC600w. The Eagletac is a great light, but the G25C2 is not upgradable like the T25C2 and is much larger than the SC600. The size is not a negative because the ET felt a little more substantial in my hand, but it wasn't as compact to carry in the pocket or bag.

Both lights are very bright, run on 18650's and have multiple levels of brightness. However, the SC600w will not run on primaries and the ET does not have a very low, low. I prefer the UI of the SC600w to the ET.

Both lights are great, but I would have to give the SC600w the edge...All the best on your search!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Once switched on, it is possible to turn the G25C2s head to change modes, but you need to change hand grip to go from turning the light on to changing modes, and it takes quite a lot of effort to turn the head from the highest setting.

The SC600 would make more sense for one handed use.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the drop-ins for the Eagle Tac definately ids appealing. I have a P20A2 Mk II for that reason. Ultimately I chose a Thrunite TN11 over the G25C2, but it was a very close call.

aimxplode

Enlightened
The G25C2 and SC600 are really two different lights for two different situations. The SC600 would make a better general use light, but I would say the G25C2 would be a lot more fun.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the responses. My mistake on the replaceable drop-in for the G25C2. I was also looking at the T20C2 Mk II XM-L and got that mixed up. I am definitely leaning toward the SC600. Do most of you prefer the warm version?

I considered the TN11, but not sure about the UI. The SC600 seems much better to me.

Harry999

Enlightened
I have the SC600 and the SC600w. I prefer the SC600 in urban environments where there is a lot of ambient light. I keep it in my bag as a back up light. The SC600w is the one I prefer for the warmer tint. When walking your dog I suspect the warmer tint might be more useful for helping clean up after it and also if you are walking it in areas with lots of vegetation then the better colour rendition might make the walk more pleasant.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint is subjective but I share the same sentiments with the other 3 posters above me in opting for the SC600w, and like Harry999 I do also use the SC600 for urban use.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the tint like pjandyho said tint preference is subjective so my own opinion is if your not certain you really prefer a neutral tint or if you would even really notice it a big difference between neutral and cool than my thoughts are don't sacrifice the extra 100 lumens you get with the cool XM-L.

Obviously you may feel different once you get a certain cool tint light and then wish it was a little more neutral but on the other hand you may get the neutral and wish you had the brighter cool version, in general from my own experience and others on this board the cool SC600 has a pretty good tint, of course there are exceptions from time to time but in general the SC600 has a nice tint.

So as you can tell I suggest the cool version and you will probably be satisfied with the tint without sacrificing lumen count, if you do decide after getting the cool version you want a more neutral tint and could live without the extra lumens then you could either just buy another SC600 this time in neutral or trade the SC600 for a SC600w at the Marketplace (or trade a cool for a neutral). I don't believe you would have to hard a time finding someone to trade with and one thing is for certain the SC600 in either tint is the right choice, that is IMO of course and it's the best light I've ever owned.

Anyway early congrats on your upcoming purchase there isn't much better than gathering info like you are now then hitting the purchase button and then waiting on the delivery person and getting that cardboard box with a Zebralight in it.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the responses. Curious about liking the cool for urban use, but warm tint for dog walking. Do most of you consider urban as an area with many buildings not having much foliage? Just trying to understand what is driving more and more people to the warm tints.

Somewhat off topic - the SC600 is 18650 only. How many of you keep primaries as backup in case your 18650s crap out? I guess I would just need to pick a few more 18650s and keep them charged. I do have a new unused laptop battery pack lying around that won't fit any of our laptops...:whistle:

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the SC600, I own two of the cool white and love them. One for work and one for home ;)
The G25c2 looks like a good light, but I like my floody lights

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G25C2 has a 39.5mm bezel for 640 lumens ANSI for 245 meters of throw ANSI FL-1 standards.
The TN11 has a larger 41mm diameter bezel for a fraction more throw at 254 meters, running on the same 1x18650.
Both the tail end clicky and head twist UI of the G25C2 and TN11 are very similar.
These two are very good tactical lights, and very good for gun mounting.

The SC600 is compact and easy to carry EDC.
It has a simple side switch which is very ergonomic for the lazy hand shake grip thigh height.
It's floody beam has a huge hotspot and a wide lateral spill, lacks longitudinal throw at just 145 meters, but is very practical for civilian use.

Like you say, I just have a few spare 18650's and keep them charged.
However, primaries, and warm tints are personal preference.
You don't want the tint too cool, because it makes the colour look foul.
Howevever the standard SC600 is cool, without being excessively cool...

Last edited: