Malkoff m60fn is just the ticket!

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff drop-in I ordered arrived yesterday as I was preparing for a day of exploring some old buildings. I posted a couple of weeks ago asking about floody lights (a need that became apparent earlier that day when I banged my head on a low pipe that I didn't see with the light I was using) and a member suggested this drop-in. I have to say up front, that suggestion was dead-on. I "dropped" it into a G3 and swapped the plastic head for a metal one as was also suggested and headed out for the day.

The m60fn ("n" for neutral tint) does an amazing job of spreading light out in every direction. The lens on this drop-in has what looks like a honeycomb of little bumps (mini lenses?) and in a completely dark basement everything from the floor in front of me to the ceiling overhead was lit up and any potential dangers - like low hanging pipes - were very clearly lit. I will definitely not be banging my head on unseen objects anymore.

The tint on this light, to my eyes, seems on the warm side of neutral but that's obviously not a scientific measurement. It could be that my reference is just other lights that are overly cool in tint.

Light output is significant -- I think it was rated in the mid-200 range. If there is one drawback, however, it is thta all of that defraction comes at the cost of throw. Walking into a warehouse type of building with ceilings that were about 30-40 feet above, the unit lit up the place well, requiring very little sweep to take in the whole picture, but very distant objects were only dimly lit. An average light of similar output would have lit those distant objects with ease but at the cost of not seeing the whole scene in front of me. This is definitely a specialized tool designed to serve a purpose and it does it extremely well. I don't have experience with some of the other items suggested to me but from what I read and saw in a number of forum searches I would have to say that I made the best choice for the money.

Heat management didn't seem to be a problem duing this outing. I had the light on at some points for as long as 10-15 mins and the head barely felt warm to me. It could be that it was a very cold day which helped dissipate much of the heat. I would like to put the original plastice head back onto the G3 but I guess I'll hold off on doing that for now and wait 'til summer to see if heat becomes a problem.

I'm not set up to do beam shots otherwise I would post some in comparison to a number of other lights I own. Maybe I can set up something in that warehouse but that will need to wait until I get my wideangle lens fixed. In the meantime, anyone who needs tons of flood, especially in residential environments, would be doing themselves a favor by giving this drop-in a serious look.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the M60NF. A flood beam meets my lighting needs most of the time. The M60NF is one of the best. If you think it is awesome, try a M91W!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not set up to do beam shots otherwise I would post some in comparison to a number of other lights I own. Maybe I can set up something in that warehouse but that will need to wait until I get my wideangle lens fixed. In the meantime, anyone who needs tons of flood, especially in residential environments, would be doing themselves a favor by giving this drop-in a serious look.
Here's some I posted a couple of years ago.
Malkoff M60WLF, M60W+SF FM34 diffuser, SF M60WF-the old W's were neutrals, so this is equivalent of your M60NF
dscn3724.jpg
dscn3723.jpg
dscn3725.jpg

I didn't include the M60WF when I did these, as it was for a thread about the FM34, but it would have been noticeably brighter than the M60W+FM34, though the beam wouldn't have been quite as wide(as you can see from the above shots).
M60W on the left, M60W/FM34 on the right
dscn3730.jpg
dscn3731.jpg

Both beams were centered on the front door from maybe 30ft. away. The right side got partially blocked by the tripod the camera was on, since I didn't have the light far enough forward, so the photos don't show the full width of the beams.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Congrats on the M60NF. A flood beam meets my lighting needs most of the time. The M60NF is one of the best. If you think it is awesome, try a M91W!

Agreed, the M60F were good, the M60WF were even better, the M60W MC-E was the best IMO. That honey comb optic is really excellent at what it does. I can only imagine how good the Neutral would be.

I wish I hadn't sold my MC-E now, but I do have a M91W that I run in a 3-cell body with a frosted lens... this thing is now the ultimate close work inspection light. Nearly pure flood, and I can revert it to a slightly throwier M91W by changing the glass...

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spot on with everything you said. I really regret not buying a M60W MCE when I had the chance too. It was the flood king. Nice idea on the M91W for even more flood. Too bad we dont see much going on with Malkoff and optics nowadays. The M91 is awesome but a XML would be real nice with the 20 degree flood optic. Similar size dome to the XRE/MCE so it may work. Hint for Gene if he is reading this thread.

Agreed, the M60F were good, the M60WF were even better, the M60W MC-E was the best IMO. That honey comb optic is really excellent at what it does. I can only imagine how good the Neutral would be.

I wish I hadn't sold my MC-E now, but I do have a M91W that I run in a 3-cell body with a frosted lens... this thing is now the ultimate close work inspection light. Nearly pure flood, and I can revert it to a slightly throwier M91W by changing the glass...

mcstew

Newly Enlightened
got the same drop-in the other day (m60fn) and used it up in the crawl space attic today. it was quite a treat to have so much light in that confined space without a noticeable hot spot to distract from the task (looking for a mouse/rat nest in the rafters).

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't get any of the neutral floods, but I do have an M60F and an M60LF. There is almost nothing like that wall of even light. :thumbsup: Should have bought a few more! :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I really regret not buying a M60W MCE when I had the chance too.

I would sooner sell my v2 Triple neutral (one of only three) than my M60W MCE. But thats the flashaholic anti regret plan: its easier to regret an overbuy than an underbuy, just sell!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I would sooner sell my v2 Triple neutral (one of only three) than my M60W MCE. But thats the flashaholic anti regret plan: its easier to regret an overbuy than an underbuy, just sell!

Next time we run into each other I'd love to put my M91N next to your M60W MC-E and see how they compare.
I know they will be reasonably different, but there isn't anything like that older Malkoff MC-E at all ...

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply another fine example of Malkoff excellence!

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast

The M60W MC-E tint is great. I just didn't use it enough so I sold it. I do use the M60NF daily though.