Aspheric Fenix LD01 on 10440 is just INSANE!!! (Beamshots)

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

Let me just say this before I start. I have always been addictive to tiny things (including flashlights). The problems is that I always had to settle with over-the-counter crap because I didn't know better.

I stumbled upon CPF out of no where, and here is where you guys really taught me where to find GREAT tiny lights. Currently I only have a Klarus MiX6 and an LD01, but the collection is gonna grow soon.

The LD01 is great little light, especially when paired with a 10440. It's bright, and not too bad of a thrower (considering the size). And since I am crazy about tiny throwers, I thought why not make one.

I am working on to mods.

First one: an XPE-Q5 emitter into an LED Lenser K3 and direct drive it from a 10280 just like in this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hrower-XPE-10280&highlight=crazy+nano+thrower

Second one: an XPE-Q5 emitter into an LED Lenser P2 and direct drive it from a 10440. I started a thread about the P2 mod in the modding section of the forum and still waiting for advice and also the needed parts.

I received my K3 today and couldn't wait for other parts doing nothing, and I wanted to test the aspheric lens. So I thought why not play with my LD01 (at least temporarily)?!!!

------------Note: It is not really a mod since I didn't change any internals------------

------------This is where my little experiment starts---------------

I took the K3 apart (extremely easy to open the head), and extracted the aspheric lens inside.

I placed the ashperic lens over my LD01 head. It worked, BUT there was so much noise around the spot because of the reflector (mixing a reflector and an aspheric results in an ugly beam). The result basically was almost exactly like Triceratop's thread found here. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?295788-Fenix-LD01-Mod

Since I wanted a more beautiful beam, I decided to open the LD01's head which was so freakin hard to so, and mount the lens.

Since this is just temporary play, I didn't want to fix the lens to my LD01, so I used shrink tube to hold the lens onto my LD01.

I don't have a dedicated camera (just my phone's camera). The problem is that the light was so bright my phone couldn't take good pictures inside. And because my neighborhood is full of street light, pictures wouldn't do the light any justice.

So I decided to take beamshots with the light in my apartment on to show how bright this thing is. I tried it outside and it throws REALLY GOOD, too.

The size of the LD01 with the aspheric lens on campared with a quarter & a 10440.
21e9bap.jpg

Low mode both using 10440: Aspheric (left) --- Regular head (right)

23rsp79.jpg

Medium mode both using 10440: Aspheric (left) --- Regular head (right)
syl00m.jpg

High mode both using 10440: Aspheric (left) --- Regular head (right)
33a3olw.jpg

Sorry that I don't have any outdoor beamshots.

Hope you guys like it. If you have any questions or comments please post below.

I will also keep you guys updated when I finish the two projects.

Best regards,

Saad

Last edited:

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but it's not permanent. Tune in for the modified Lenser P2.

Thanks for your reply :)

Saad

CMAG

Enlightened
should get better as you get it focused, playing with aspheric myself I found you can get it where you can see the wires inside the led.
Anyway looking good have fun with it, shrink tube good idea :thumbsup:

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
should get better as you get it focused, playing with aspheric myself I found you can get it where you can see the wires inside the led.

True, I actually played with it and I could clearly see the wires inside. (picture below, sorry for the bad quality). However, I felt it was much brighter and had a more concentrated spot when the wires were invisible.

s16c6e.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

Saad

Last edited:

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Just make it so you can slip it on and off and you've got a good flood and a massive thrower hanging from your keys!

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
Just make it so you can slip it on and off and you've got a good flood and a massive thrower hanging from your keys!

That's the plan...I am considering many options to make also water resistant.

Thanks for the advice,

Saad

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Now you got me looking at my 4sevens preon to see if I can do the same thing.

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
Now you got me looking at my 4sevens preon to see if I can do the same thing.

It would be a real pocket rocket thrower :party:

What's the size of the lens you used?

I used the same lens inside my of LED Lenser K3. It's about 15mm. I don't know where else you would be able to find lend similar to those. I have tried the 12mm from surpluss shed but it didn't work as well as this one.

Hope this helps,

Saad

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
Where do you get these lenses? Need a XP-E R4 in there or a XP-E R2 EZ900 lol

It is the same lens inside the LED Lenser K3. I don't have any XPE's now, and that's why I used the XPG-R5 found on the LD01.

I also replicated this mod http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hrower-XPE-10280&highlight=crazy+nano+thrower with my XPG because it's all I got now, and it's insane. It is direct driven by a 10280, and throws better than the LD01 above.

I should be getting my XPE emitter in a week or so. I will mod an LED Lenser P2 (it comes with aspheric, too) and see how that compares.

Cheers,

Saad

JulianP

Enlightened
About a year ago I went through an AAA mod phase and modded all my AAA flashlights with DX aspherics and 10440s. The results were amazing, but the novelty soon wore off. AAA lights are ideal for lighting up your path in the middle of the night, looking under the table or inside your computer case. They are even better for lighting up the steps of your house or the lock to your front gate. They became useless with aspherics and 120 lumens in an impossibly bright and tiny spot (they did impress my friends though).

So, one year later it's back to plain glass and rechargeable 1.5v batteries. I now value more the 0.5 lumen setting and a battery life of 160 hours, knowing that if I get stuck in a lift over the week-end I will have enough light to do all my work for the following week.

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
About a year ago I went through an AAA mod phase and modded all my AAA flashlights with DX aspherics and 10440s. The results were amazing, but the novelty soon wore off. AAA lights are ideal for lighting up your path in the middle of the night, looking under the table or inside your computer case. They are even better for lighting up the steps of your house or the lock to your front gate. They became useless with aspherics and 120 lumens in an impossibly bright and tiny spot (they did impress my friends though).

True, a tiny light with aspheric lens is almost worthless for close objects. It cool though.

CPF member ILikeLite recommended that I mod a a focusable light to be able to use it for both flood and throw. I tried it with a Led Lenser K3 and it is perfect, but I don't like its body. This is why I intend to try modding and XPE an/or XRE in a LED Lenser P2.

I can see why you moved to plain glass and 1.5v batteries, they are far more practical than these mods.

Thanks for your input.

Saad

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Very fun/cool and great idea using the shrink tubing to temp hold lense in place, A+

ballard_st

Newly Enlightened
How did you open the LD01 head? Does it just come apart of did you have to do something permanent to it (ie: break a seal/rip apart something glued together, etc.). I am getting an LD01 and I'd like to do the chapstick-cap aspheric project mentioned in Triceratops' thread, but possibly with the reflector removed.