How much did that cost then?

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Are you honest with family and friends about the cost of your lights?
While in work today someone asked me this exact question, the sum £38 popped into my head. "omg £38 for a light?"

I was expecting this kind of response, the truth is the light was £260 McGizmo.

So, are you honest?

gravelrash

Enlightened
I don't make up a number; I just tell them it is more than your average wally world light, but it is much better quality. I got tired of the, "omfg you're nuts" responses I was getting when I told people my HDS Clicky 120 was $99. I sure don't want to explain the more expensive lights I own.

varmint

Enlightened
Not really I usually just dont say much unless asked and then just vague answers. Lights guns etc all the same here.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just want to take this opportunity to personally thank every single one of you who sent me a free flashlight.

My wife is astounded by your collective generosity.

:whistle:

Albeit she was also astounded when I let slip that I had paid FIFTY DOLLARS for an Olight SR 90, I mean, that's nutz to spend that much on a FLASHLIGHT.

She DID agree that it was a cool light though, and maybe even WORTH the $50.

:devil:

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, i say that the lights I buy are just a few bucks, sort of like the same price you buy lights in the grocery or supermarket or outlet store. Coz here where I live, 30 bucks for a light is crazy already.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do come clean with how much I spend. I am often greeted with the look of dismay and bemusement.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always tell 'em If you have to ask, you can't afford it!:devil:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I like to buy flashlights, my wife wife likes to buy purses. Our hobbies are similar in obsession and cost, we just buy different items. We understand each others needs so there's no discussion about cost, it's a match made in heaven!

On a side note, my wife is slowly becoming a flashaholic, she has a G2 with a KX4 head and McClicky on her nightstand, and EDCs a NovaTac 120E just like I do. Thankfully I haven't embraced her hobby...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to buy flashlights, my wife wife likes to buy purses. Our hobbies are similar in obsession and cost, we just buy different items. We understand each others needs so there's no discussion about cost, it's a match made in heaven!

Ditto but in my wife's case it's shoes ...

I never check but I suspect that in the long run it's not my passion for flashlights that's going to ruin the family. :naughty:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm lucky in this way since I'm single and got NO human friends! Cause my two bestest friends, Harlee and Calvin only care if it's dinner time and if it's time to play fetch! Oh an if they can have a snack! So I don't have to worry about anybody asking me anything!

PS In regards to the Rolls Royce "if you gotta ask" post. When I stop by the Dealership, I always ask how much that/this Ferrari is. As soon as the salesman gives me that look, I ask if I can take it our for a test drive?

Gotta play the numbers, cause one of these days I'll get a test drive! .... "Ok sir, 100 miles is far enough. We need to turn around an head back to the Dealership" .... LOL

Last edited:

LGD

Newly Enlightened
My other half has learned not to ask any more. She did look up the price of the 6P I bought out of curiosity, and was well impressed when it survived the "throw it at a wall to show how sturdy it is" test.

She just didn't realise that it was only the host that cost £50, And that the rest of the components cost a lot more!

davyro

Enlightened
I am 100% honest w/ my friends and co-workers when they ask me how many lights I have and how much each one costs. With my wife, it's more like 10%. :sssh:

+1 on your comment,i tell all of my friends & workmates how much each light costs but my wife usualy says i don't want to know how much that light costs,then 10 minutes later she says ok how much did you spend
so just to keep her happy i scale down the price of my more expensive lights.:eek:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a really good way to put it! I never thought about it like that. next time someone gasps that I paid $120 for an Armytek predator, instead of saying, "well if Surefire made this it'd be over $400," I'll liken it to that analogy of yours.

thanks! :)

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told them exactly how much it cost when they asked.

It's funny that I got the "OMG! this light cost $15??!! (They were referring to my E01). "I coulda got you 2 or 3 of those 9 led lights at the auto shop"

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
I tell them exactly what it cost...because when we do side by side beamshot comparisons with their outdated lights...the price difference seems to go away.

You get what you pay for...