----------------------------------

Light: Fenix LD12
Meter: Sigmatron SDM-58A
AA: Imedion 2400mAH

Low: 42 ma
Med: 220 ma
High: 530 ma
Turbo: 1310 ma

Fenix LD22 should be arriving soon for comparison.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD12, LD10, an PD32

hidcanada20120227151521.jpg

Notable differences marked:

LD12 - LD10
115lm - 110lm
97hr - 70hr
80m - 87m
1612cd peak - 1902cd peak
1m impact - 1.5 impact

Harry999

Enlightened

Ualnosaj,

How well does the LD12 tailstand?

Thank you

Harry

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Doesn't at all. The button protrudes JUST too much for it to even try.

4ac60989-1efb-f8da.jpg

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seriously thinking about getting one of these. I was wondering about the beam pattern? Is the reflector smooth or does it have a little orange peel? It looks smooth from the Fenix website literature.

If you have any of these lights how does it compare to the Olight T10/T15 or Fenix LD15, or EagleTac D25A or iTP SA1 (these are lights I have). I guess I like lights that do not have too much of a defined narrow hot spot.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I've have all the current line of Fenix lights and a bunch of the older ones to 2006. All the RRT-0, all of the SWM V series, now a bunch of Xtar. Hopefully mid year I'll jump into other manufacturers to see what's up.

The LD15 is a totally different beast...

The emitter/reflector layout on the LD12 looks just about the same as the LD10 (smooth, just as deep). The only differences I've photographed above. I'll take a simple beamshot of the LD15 vs LD12 shortly. I like to work completely from the iPhone so anything quick won't be as nice as from the DSLR :)

4ac60989-24ee-a5fe.jpg

Harry999

Enlightened

Ualnosaj,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My retailer's website details it as being able to tailstand which goes to show how useful information shared by CPF members really is.

I will have to reconsider my planned purchase of certainly the LD22 which shares the same tail cap design as far as I know. I was planning on using the LD22 with a Fenix Camping attachment to use as a desklamp but that potential inability to tail stand will be a serious flaw in that plan. Please let me know if the LD22 is the same when you receive it.

In the meantime what is your general impression of the LD12. hiuintahs, has already asked about the beam. Does the LD12 satisfy you as a potential EDC light?

Regards

Harry

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
4ac60989-25b4-cd5b.jpg

4ac60989-25e9-e362.jpg

The LD15 on the left. LD12 on the right. There's a bit of a glare spot on the immediate right of the LD15 shot.

These are both HIGH and LOW(est) modes. Color is actually pretty accurate. NOTE: my wall there is lightly sand colored.

The LD15 has a bigger spot and brighter spill than the LD12.

I'll post a mini "My 2 Lumens" review shortly. Kids need to go to bed first :)p

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

...........The LD15 has a bigger spot and brighter spill than the LD12......

Thanks for the report. I have to admit that I wish it had a slight orange peel reflector. Without it, pretty much explains the fairly tight spot. Some guys are going to like it that aspect of it. Not sure I do though.

I do like the fact that its rated at 115 lumens instead of a higher amount where they try to get the most output they can out of a single AA. I prefer the trade off to a little more run time. I also really like the spacing of the modes.

Harry999

Enlightened

Thanks for the report. I have to admit that I wish it had a slight orange peel reflector. Without it, pretty much explains the fairly tight spot. Some guys are going to like it that aspect of it. Not sure I do though.

I do like the fact that its rated at 115 lumens instead of a higher amount where they try to get the most output they can out of a single AA. I prefer the trade off to a little more run time. I also really like the spacing of the modes.

I too prefer a slightly more floody light. My solution was going to be to purchase the Fenix AD041 flip up diffuser. It will protect the lens and allow me to use the LD12 to read on the lowest setting but still allow the option of more throw when required.

I may still get the LD22 - I was just thinking I could put it in a glass if necessary. I also need to decide between the lampshade diffuser and the cone one for desk use.

In truth I know Fenix tends to have a great build quality and efficient circuits so the LD12 will be a great belt carry AA edc with that flip up diffuser attached. If I want more flood I can always use DC-Fix which is a great material and has worked excellently on my Fenix MC11 Anglelight.

Rumple4skin

Newly Enlightened

Harry999;3887261 I may still get the LD22 - I was just thinking I could put it in a glass if necessary. I also need to decide between the lampshade diffuser and the cone one for desk use. [/QUOTE said:
I have both the lamp shade diffuser and the (White) cone diffuser that I use on my LD 10 or LD 20 light and my personal preference is the white cone as a desk topper only for the fact the cone is more comfortable in your face when you have it on a desk/ table in front of you. The lampshade is great in your tent and maybe work great if it was hanging above your table/Desk. I use the table configuration when I go camping, all I did was glue a rubber chair tip on a beer coaster and sit the light in the chair tip. It was either that or fix the wobbly table.

My Wife thinks a flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

Harry999

Enlightened

Rumple4skin,

Thank you for the advice. I will probably get a couple of the white cones. I will still get the lampshade but that will be so I can hang a light above my bed for reading purposes for those times I don't want to use my Fenix MC11 attached to my t shirt or a Zebralight headlamp.

Regards

Harry

PS: Since the great crash of CPF post counts can not be trusted but if you are new to the site then welcome to CPF. :welcome:

Rumple4skin

Newly Enlightened

Thank you Harry for your warm welcome and yes I am a newby at CFP. Before I caught wind of this site I was inadequate in the dark thinking my 2 D cell flashlight from K Mart was all I needed Boy was I wrong! It is great to meet like minded people in such a quality forum as this and it has given me the same addiction to Flashlights as some of you guys. I now find myself weighing the need or want to buy a LD22 as you but I would like to see more reviews. I hope Selfbuilt is reading this. (hint hint)

Harry999

Enlightened

Rumple4skin,

No problem - this is a friendly place as you've already found. If you find yourself weighing the need or want to buy a particular light then you are half way to buying it. You almost need to discipline yourself to set a budget, otherwise you can go to far.

I have now convinced myself I will be getting the LD12 and the LD22 in a couple of days. I don't need them given the multitude of other lights I have but that's part of being a flashaholic. I'm fairly certain the feedback from Ualnosaj will totally remove any doubts I have.

I've always liked the efficiency of Fenix lights as well as their usually great build quality for the price. The LD12 and LD22 do not have moonlight modes but in the urban environment I will be primarily using them which suffers from heavy light pollution then the modes provided are ideal. I have other lights which provide the moonlight modes I require for indoor use.

It was the cycling required to get to the right mode that used to annoy me. Now I can just rely on the memory feature to have the light turn on where I want. The strobe feature looks useful as well.

cobra4246

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for this post. I was on the fence as to which one I wanted the LD10 or the LD12. Your post have helped me make up my mind. Thanks

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened

I really hate how they messed up the tail standing. The side button allows the use of a tactical forward clicky tail but they made the clicky to long/guard to short.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I really hate how they messed up the tail standing. The side button allows the use of a tactical forward clicky tail but they made the clicky to long/guard to short.

Yes, that and the button is more convex than the LD10.

phosphor

Enlightened

YMMV, but even outside I've never really had a problem finding a way to lean upright a flashlight with a protruding tail cap so it gives off effective light. Because of the relatively slender shape of these AA/2xAA lights, even if the light will tail stand my experience is such that any errant bump to the platform it's resting on will topple the light. As I said however, your experience may differ.

- regards

regulation

Newly Enlightened

YMMV, but even outside I've never really had a problem finding a way to lean upright a flashlight with a protruding tail cap so it gives off effective light. Because of the relatively slender shape of these AA/2xAA lights, even if the light will tail stand my experience is such that any errant bump to the platform it's resting on will topple the light. As I said however, your experience may differ.

- regards

Year, there's always ideas to get these tactical light tail standed. even in the house, by using a small glass, two books, etc.

For me, I may like the side button more, but I won't mind if they can supply a solution, or a small accessorory to add the tail stand function.

pinetree89

Enlightened

Just received my LD12 today, and something strange appears to be going on.

My tailcap currents differ a bit from the OP's and seem to be exactly half the currents of the OP's.

Measured on Fluke 87 with Sanyo Eneloop:

Low - 22mA
Med - 110mA
High - 250mA
Turbo - 612mA

It seems a bit on the dim side too. Wondering if I got a defective one. I'd appreciate anybody else who has the light to do some independent confirmation of their tailcap currents.