What high power LED to use for this random waterproof driver I have in a dive light?

AquaticEngineer

Newly Enlightened
While digging in my box of lighting and electronics parts I stumbled across an LED driver I had picked up off ebay about a year ago.

I think it is for a 30w high power LED, and I would like to use it to build a high power LED canister dive light.

Here's the stats that are labeled on the driver:
------------------------------------------------------
WATERPROOF ELECTRONIC LED DRIVER

INPUT: 100 - 240 VAC 50/60HZ

OUTPUT: 12V 2.5A
-------------------------------------------------------
IMG_20120227_114539.jpg

IMG_20120227_114523.jpg

Recommendations for a what high power LED? Can this driver be ran off of a battery pack effectively?

I'm going to make a canister light using one of these high powered lights, the existing LED driver, and a rechargable battery pack. I'm thinking about incorporating a few ideas into this light. Definitely doing the standard waterproofing with gaskets and such, using an alluminum heat sink in the head of the light (probably a mag lite head with a slug) But I've also been toying with the idea of using the mineral oil inside the dead space of the light head to further dissipate the heat. I figure that in conjunction with diving in the cold waters of the PNW, it should stay cool.

Thoughts?

I've had a 50w high power LED with a CPU heatsink and fan wired up and running over one my coldwater marine aquariums for about a year, which is what got me thinking about doing this.

moderator007

Enlightened
Like AnAppleSnail said, AC. Notice in the first pic it says Input: 100-240VAC 50 to 60Hz

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
check on what the IP67 rating means. From what I can get from the wiki page, it means that it is rated for immersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes. Pretty good for AC powered equipment (so it won't fail when you take it into the bath tub??), but probably not so great for a dive light.

Steve K.

AquaticEngineer

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I was wondering if that was the case. I think all the writing in chinese had me distracted, lol.

Maybe I'll just wire it up for use over one of the fish tanks then and go with a design for a dive light thats already out there.

Latest posts