HDS updates: thoughts?

logikal16

Newly Enlightened
Henry's lights are great. What isn't so great is keeping customers (and retailers) in the dark.

I recently cancelled my HDS order after being waitlisted for over a month. The wait itself wasn't the issue; it was the lack of any solid updates. The retailer seemed at times like they weren't kept in the loop either.

Here's my idea: https://twitter.com/HDSSystems
  • Instead of all of us having to email Henry directly, we could check the account periodically to see what progress has been made (e.g. "Testing sample batch from supplier", or "still waiting for supplier shipment").
  • A handful of us could get account info, to update the feed
  • Ideally, Henry would see the benefits and request ownership of the account
If Henry would be interested, he could use the account to post company updates himself. Anything from "testing a new emitter" to "supply back in full swing". It might end up saving him a lot of time over answering the same email question 50 times.

Does this sound like a decent idea, or a waste of time?

gravelrash

Enlightened
I'm not a twitter fan, but I agree that communication needs to be better from HDS, so if twitter works I'm all for it. I own several HDS lights, and want to own more, but I'm not into making unsecured, interest free loans (which is what an HDS order represents to me right now). The lights are quality, etc., etc., but no way am I placing an order until I know it will ship. All my HDS lights have been bought from stocking retail outlets.

Last edited:

Filip

Newly Enlightened
If Henry doesn't care even to post here on CPF I don't believe he will request ownership of the Twitter account. A week ago I sent him long and kind of frustrated e-mail and asked him to chime in here to save his and our time (at least). All I got was almost the same answer someone else has quoted in HDS thread + "Noted on the CPF mention.".

I have begun my 10th week and I am afraid the waiting is not going to be shorter than regular pregnancy.

I wish you good luck, though.

jalal20

Enlightened
I was looking into buying 2 rotaries and I contacted Henry through email and I got this "There is a 5 week backlog on all new light orders".
I dunno if any of you guys got a specific date from him before and if you did please do say so we would know if he's keeping track or just saying so to keep us away.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am new to HDS. looks like a heavy (~100g) solid piece of torch. whose henry, he the owner?
is this a one-man show? like so many other custom builds?

interesting.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
the lights are legendary. Somewhat shocked to hear this about HDS. Has anyone called to speak with Henry in Arizona? Im not saying that is the solution. Ive called on a couple occassions and he was happy to answer questions and was very helpful.

Duraflametree

Newly Enlightened
Updates would certainly make me more confident to buy one. I was saving up to get a rotary, and then I started seeing the wait times people were experiencing. As it stands now, I will probably wait until the supplier problems are sorted out and the backlog has been cut down a little before placing my order.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may have nothing to do with anything, but I remember way back in the day - as in years ago - Henry made a prediction at CPF about the upcoming release date of a particular light. When that date was missed, he was ridden like a borrowed donkey. I remember him saying then that he was no longer in the business of setting dates.

Now, a little communication goes a long, long way. We light freaks will wait a long time if we are kept in the loop just a little bit and if we know whats going on. Its more the silence than the wait that drives us away. JMO.

number10ox

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

This is my first post. I read a poll here months ago titled something like "top 10 must have flashlights" and HDS was #1, so I ordered a non-custom 200T directly from HDS on November 2nd. I'm still waiting.

I've been reading that people are canceling their orders after waiting 4 weeks, or some at 10 weeks. Today marks my 18th week waiting for a stock/non-custom light. I feel a little silly for waiting patiently this long, and kind of frustrated.

I'm sure these lights are great. That's why I wanted one. Maybe I should cancel as well? But I feel I've waited this long so...

I just wanted to offer up the fact that I ordered mine on 11/2 and haven't received it yet, so I'm assuming orders are backed up at least to that date and possibly beyond.

I hope this all gets sorted out soon.

Cheers.

logikal16

Newly Enlightened
We light freaks will wait a long time if we are kept in the loop just a little bit and if we know whats going on. Its more the silence than the wait that drives us away. JMO.

Exactly. My point in creating this topic is not to complain about HDS, but rather to make an offer to help.

Sanderman

Newly Enlightened
5 weeks? Sounds extremely optimistic. I ordered and paid on 12/31 and I've got nothing. Heard nothing. No updates. Nothing.

Joe

I was looking into buying 2 rotaries and I contacted Henry through email and I got this "There is a 5 week backlog on all new light orders".
I dunno if any of you guys got a specific date from him before and if you did please do say so we would know if he's keeping track or just saying so to keep us away.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ordered in Nov. There is a sequence of sub par contractor's product reported, ok. I am very confident that if HDS would compromise on quality that all of our orders could have been fulfilled by now. I am also surprised that it is taking so long but at this point my only concern is that too many orders could be cancelled so as to threaten my own order... Which I am patiently waiting for.
I certainly understand the "unsecured loans" argument, but in my mind they are in fact secured by reputation and future orders of quality product. A lot of customer frustration now is harmful but not nearly as harmful as letting quality control slip. I believe that HDS is sticking to what HDS believes in, I don't feel that I'm being taken for a ride, I feel that I'm dealing with a perfectionist and an Old World craftsman who's believes in quality but might be suspicious of the existence of markets.

A few cancellations are fine with me, hopefully they're orders right in front of mine. ;-)
BTW, I was told to check back in the middle of March, which I will do. I'll be happy to share what I find out.
Best to you all, hang in there.

duro

Enlightened
When are the battery compartments going to be available? I've been waiting f-o-r-e-v-e-r......

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
To everyone who's posted so far....."NO SOUP FOR YOU!!".
Haha! I misunderstood what "in stock" meant on the HDS website. I ordered and got the 4 week estimate email. When four weeks came I grabbed my parachute and bailed. Like others I'll order when people start getting their lights. I don't have a massive light budget like some here do, so I have to disperse my coin carefully.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
The (unfortunate) bottom line is that Henry should NOT be taking any more orders until he gets his ducks in a row.

I have to be honest - I would not accept this kind of service from anyone else for any other product. However, it appears that because it is our hobby/obsession, that many of us are willing to turn a blind eye to what has (apparently) become a production nightmare.

I sincerely hope he can turn this around.