9AN Lamp and Replacement

Chengiz

Enlightened
I have a partner that recently received his 9AN after considerable delay. He was on patrol and as he was exiting his vehicle he heard/felt a loud pop. Inspecting his light he saw that the primary bulb had blown up.

I looked at it and can honestly say there seems to have been an explosive failure of the main bulb. The reflector is marred down to the black backing at points.

As I was talking to him he indicated his admiration for the LEDs. His question to me is how can he replace his lamp, and if so can he replace it with an LED. I think he would like a 5 watt for a primary and a 1 watt as his secondary. Any suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
He needs to call SureFire and explain what happened. I don't expect a SureFire to perform like you mention it did.

Please keep us updated with what happens.

Thanks

Al

Chengiz

Enlightened
I mentioned the surefire solution to him but told him to hang on. I see a lot of experience with many lights and accessories here and wanted to provide him with some good useful stuff. I don't have a 9AN and hope that someone here does.

I told him that in the back of the 2003 SF catalog that there is a reference to a KT3 premium LED. I don't know if that is the same set up or just the one light. I am confident that SF will do right by him, but if he can upgrade at the same time that would be cool too.

I am fuzzy on the details of whether the light was on at the time of explosion or what the deal was. I will get more details from him tomorrow.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
Surefire doesnt warranty the lamps. They may work for 10 seconds or 10 years. It's luck of the draw. Yes, if you beg nicely they may provide you with a free replcement, or they will refer you to someone who will sell you a replacement lamp.

I own several Surefire lights; M500A, UTL, 6Px2, G2x2, G2Z, E1, A2, and a couple more I'm forgeting right now. I've had some of them going on 10 years now. One thing you can count on is having to replace the bulbs. REGULARLY if you actualy use your lights. That's why Surefire spare battery carriers include storage for spare lamps.

Most of my Surefires use the $17.00 P60 lamp. A complete G2 only cost $25.00. So I may just use G2's now and treat them as disposables when, not if, the lamp goes out.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KT3 is the TurboHead for the 9AN - it use the N3 Lamp Assembly which are not LEDs.

There is no off the shelf LED option for the 9AN.

Al

Greta

Flashaholic
AR15Fan... I had a G2 lamp "quit" within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box. I called SF customer service and had a new lamp in nmy mailbox within a week... and no, I did not even mention CPF. This was only a few months ago.

Chengiz

Enlightened
The scoop; He was walking up to a traffic stop and illuminating the violator. He had the light on the high output lamp when it blew out.

I just gave him the information for Surefire customer service. I looked at the catalog again and realized that the KT3 is under premium lights and not the LED.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I've gotten free replacement bulbs when they have failed in service. Call and tell your story, they will likely be very interested in sending a replacement to an LEO who's light failed on duty.

Chengiz

Enlightened
That is why I carry somany damn lights. They have a tendency to take a powder when you are counting on them. I carry an ultra stinger for initial contact. I have a KL4 for general search. An LS-P for back up. When completing paperwork with a violator nearby, I use the Quiqlite(low light that doesn't reflect back harshly) so that I can keep an eye on my surroundings. An SL M-3 for that special moment which is backed up by an SF 6Z.

The Ultra had a blown bulb (impact related) in the first week.
The 6Z has run down too quickly.
The M-3 has a cracked head, but is still servicable.
The KL4 is still bright after 3 months on it's original batteries.

With the advent of way better LED the future of LEO lighting is exciting with the thought of dependability. I just purchased a KL3 and it now sits on my 6Z. Sasha is diappointed by the beam quality. I on the other hand need a combat light that will be there.

With all these lights I recently got jammed up because I became separated from my equipment and partners in a major storm. I had to go into a running wash to search a partially submerged car for those who decided to test the natural selection process. I still had my LS-P with me. As the ground was giving out beneath my feet and I was hand shoveling debris from the car that LS sat in my teeth allowing me to do my job.

That is all I ask from any of the manufacturers, let it work when I need it. Bring on the LEDs, because that is the best future I see for the light industry.

Sorry about the trip off topic........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
I'm looking forward to the 5W bezels to replace many of my incadescent SF's, save for the 9v HOLAs. Ruggedness is one of the best virtues.

I used to replace bulbs in my old 6Z about once a month. The last bulb I replaced was my A2. But none of the LED's I have save for one fluke (and I don't think it was the LED proper)have gone out.