Problems with KL4 on E1e body?

Klesk

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this issue has been discussed to death, but I've been concentrating on knives and have only recently started looking into flashlights again. I checked through old posts, and I didn't see any that answered my specific question.

What I'd like to know is: what issues are associated with installing/running a KL4 on a E1e body? The only discussion that I've seen is that "it puts out an insane amount of light" and that "it is not recommended by Surefire".

Isn't the KL4 being underdriven? Is that bad for it and could the KL4 be damaged by this use? I've seen parts for sale on Ebay and a dealer that actually sells this combination. Why does Surefire not recommend this combination?

Thanks in advance for the info.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
surefire doesnt recommend driving it on 3x 123 batteries, i haven't heard surefire say anything about using it on a e1e body. it should be fine. tactical warehouse actually sells a version with the e1e body called the TW4

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klesk,
The LED in the KL4 is under driven even on an E2e body, by design by Surefire. It must have been a runtime/heat issue. It's just more under driven on the E1e. It does put out alot of light for a single 123 light. I've run this single 123 configuration myself without negative effect.

Klesk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Now I have to decide if I want to dump my KL1 for a KL4, or buy a whole new E1e/KL4 combo. Never ends, does it?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't dump your KL1. When you get your KL4, just send your KL1 out to be modded. The beam characteristics of each has its benefits. The KL4 puts out alot of light in a very broad beam. A modded KL4 (overdriven and fitted with a high flux high dome) will put out less light, but have more throw (narrower beam) due the the characteristics of the of a 1W luxeon.

Both have their uses. I just change swap 'em as needed.

LongFei

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I know how that goes! I bought an L4 and decided that every once in a while it'd be nice to have the throw of an E2e, so I ordered a bezel and lamp. I'm wondering if maybe I shoulda just bought a complete E2e and had both lights handy. D'oh.

As far as the KL4 on an E1e body, not sure why it would be a "bad" idea, unless it was a heat problem or something.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Chop. Don't dump your KL1. Buy the TW4 or if money is tight just but the KL4 head.

GregR

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats right, don't dump the KL1, get the E1e + KL4 combo and then use your KL1 on an E2e and you'll have in total about 5.5 hours of very bright light! And the best part is, you can always swap the 2 LAs around for max brightness instead of max runtime!!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 on E1e is going to be highly LED dependent. So far no one's complained (at least publicly). There are reports of the light being very sensitive to the somewhat troublesome clickie tailswitch. Any resistance in the path from the battery to the converter will be magnified because the light is "starving" of power from the battery. I have seen this flickering myself. This configuration is not acknowledged by Surefire and I'm confident it has to do with the aforementioned reasons.

CM

larpaul20

Newly Enlightened
I also vote for the McL4. All that power in such a small package is intoxicating! What a beam. Thanks Atomic6 for turning me on to that one.

larpaul

Raindrop

Enlightened
I would have to cast a vote for the McL4 as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The only light that I own with better throw is my Fireplug McLux with the Pelican reflector. The form factor of the McL4 on an E1e body makes for an easier carry package though.