Generic headlamp recommendations for sweaty headed jungle runner

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Hey guys - In the past 4 years since getting into all these cool new flashlights out there I have yet to find a good headlamp. I've got an old 4 AA Petzl Halogen that I've really liked but that's lots of batteries for a short time of light.

I recently got a Fenix HL21.

I really liked that:
- it didn't have a battery pack in the back. I used it to read stories to my kids at night; normally couldn't lay comfortably on a battery pack but the Fenix just has 1 AA battery on the front of the light.
- diffuser is kind of cool but chinsy.

I did not like:
- it broke in 6 weeks
- UI was hard to operate when it was working
- headband didn't keep tension; kept coming undone while walking let alone running!
- In the jungle I find the higher CRI of the Halogen really makes a difference for depth perception etc.

So compared to the Fenix I'm looking for:
- higher quality; built to last
- I sweat a ton and so need a headband that keeps the light in place without fiddling.
- Easier to operate UI
- I'm willing to spend $ but I do want it to fill more roles than just running; for reading at night I love low modes such as say .3 to 1 lumen capability.

I saw this light from surefire out there:
http://www.surefire.com/illumination/headlamps/minimus-vision.html

Anyone have it/can comment on it? It appears to be a higher CRI version of their 100 lumen minimus.
Actually it doesn't say that it is a high CRI - web site says, "LED that emits warm, incandescent like light..." Anyone know what emitor they are using? Also for runners, is the max 75 lumens adequate for you running on nasty, inconsistant terrain?

Still 2 things I'm looking for it seems to be missing are:
1.) I think I really need a headlamp with one of those 2nd straps that goes over the top of the head. I realize that the heavier lamps all seem to come with that strap and the lighter ones don't. I tend to get a headache easy with a headband cinced down.
2.) Website says it runs on 1 CR123. Anyone know if it would handle a RC123? I will use it lots and want one that doesn't doesn't make me feel guilty for using up so many batteries! :)

I know I've got to make some compromises but any better suggestions out there?

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have the 'vision' version, I have the standard Minimus. Its single strap works well, it's comfortable, and although I have not used it for running i've done some rough terrain hiking with it and it holds without having to be overly tightened. The UI is the same and it works very well. Surefire has good customer service and they back their products. They once sent me a new bezel/lens for a 15 year old light that I damaged no questions asked/no charge.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I just saw this surefire Maximus:

Maximus.png

Though it doesn't seem to have a top band (I'm sure with the heavier weight I'd really want one with this light) it kind of looks like it is made to put one on the front in those grooves. Anyone do that with this light?

Also anyone with this light no how low it can go? Can it really get down to 1 lumen or possibly even lower?

Thanks