Hot light, is this normal?

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
I ran my TN11 for about 70 minutes on high to test out the run times and when i went to check up on it the entire body was pretty hot to the point where it was uncomfortable to hold in my hand for any lenght of time.

So my question is, is it normal for a light to get that hot? The longest ive ran any of my lights continuous was about 20 minutes. Anyways i shut the light off and im letting it cool off, i dont want this thing venting on the living room book shelf :duh2:

The battery i was using was a Tenergy 18650 3.7 volt 2600 mAh

my#1hobby

Enlightened
You might want to put your light in front of a fan next time. When I do run time test, I always use a fan and they stay pretty cool to the touch.

tandem

Enlightened
See HJK's review of your light - there's an output step down 10 minutes into the runtime test on high, due to heat build up.

You might also be interested in this recent thread:

Almost Burned My House Down?

In which the author talks about an incident where he left a XM-L light turned on - without his knowledge - in his coat pocket. Lots of us carry lights in our pockets that can be enabled by accident - all of my SureFire lights with momentary clicky switches present this risk.

XM-L lights get real hot and quite quickly, particularly if they aren't held in the hand where you act as a heat sink of sorts and also are aware of the light heating up.

It is a good practice to lock out any light but especially a high output light. Depending on the light, lockout might be as simple as a quarter turn loosening the tail cap.

Last edited:

awyeah

Enlightened
My Fenix E15 gets very warm on the highest mode. It actually makes me a little nervous sometimes. Once, I let it run for a while, it got pretty warm, so I turned it off and stayed away for a little while. It cooled down a bit. Then I opened it up and took the battery out, and the battery stayed warm for quite a while. Made me nervous. I'm already nervous enough about CR123A batteries as it is :)