My light clusters! Dim + bright + long throw.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my attempt to make sense of my lights, I had a moment of brilliance, probably while taking my morning shower. (Seems to be the place where most brilliant thoughts originate for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) It's really quite simple. Cluster the lights around the house in groups of three: dim, bright, and long throw!

Before anyone flames me, let me state that "dim" isn't meant to be disrespectful, but rather means one of the relatively less bright lights I've got, typically best for close use. (Less glare and often more of a floodlike beam.) The "bright" lights are, well, brighter... although they aren't necessarily "long throw," which of course completes the trio.

I now think of my lights in terms of being role players in little 3-light teams. Naturally, REAL classification is far more subtle than that, involving all sorts of assessments such as brightness, runtime, weight, size, battery type, ruggedness, and many many more variables, but for day-to-day purposes, the simplistic dim + bright + long throw clustering system seems to work remarkably well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I deploy these clusters around the house, roughly such that I'll be near at least one cluster no matter where I might be at the moment. Sort of like building antennas for cell phone coverage, but in this case we're talking photons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Some examples of clusters, written with DIM first, then BRIGHT, then LONG THROW...

Infinity Ultra-G, EverMag (EverLED in 1xAA MiniMag), Brinkmann Legend LX.

Opalec, R2H MM+ in MiniMag, SL TL-2 LED.

Turtlelite II, Surefire L4, SL Scorpion.

Jbechto 3-LED bulb in Craftsman 4AA housing, Surefire E1E with lambda copper pill (LED), vintage Tekna-Lite 4AA with xenon bulb.

R2H BB500 with McFlood in Brinkmann Legend 2AA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif , EL Blaster VI, MR-X (regulated X3T in Mag 2D)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Okay, so that last cluster is a little over the top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

I think having one light with me in each of the three roles (dim, bright, long throw) makes me ready for most situations that arise. So far so good!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Does anyone else do stuff like this? What's your system?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must admit to being every bit as anal in choosing grouping of lights.

Bedside- Ultrastinger, SL TL-3 Xenon, SL TT 2L, SL 4AA7LED, Infinity Ultra.

Wife's bedside- SF 6P, Wal-Mart 3AAA LED

car- SF 9P, SL TT 2L, Infinity Ultra

Kitchen-Modified Mag 2C with 3 123's and 5 cell bulb, SF 6P, SL TL-3 LED, SL TL-2 LED, SL 1L TT, Infinity Ultra (plus others, this is where I stash the overruns)

I mean, gosh, doesn't everybody do this ?

rlhess

Enlightened
I think Scott's on to something. I, too, cluster--that was a step beyond my "binning" exercise in another message

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=371717

I too, have used this concept, but it was the output of the "binning" exercise (one from column A, one from column B)

My bedside: SL 3C LED (medium bright, broad), SF G2 (bright, reasonably long throw), SL Septor headlamp (reading in bed), UKE 2AA with red LED (dim, preserves night vision).

My wife's bedside AND kitchen: SL3C LED, UKE SL6 (long throw) -- all C-cell powered, and similar in both locations.

To the kitchen, I add a Kohler/Brightstar fluorescent lantern for long power failures, and to the bedroom an Energizer folding fluorescent lantern (preferred, but more expensive and harder to find for me).

I find that for intermediate places, the SL 3C LED or 4AA LED suffice (bathrooms, for example).

For my car, I have an SL TL-3 (long throw), TL-3 LED, less bright, longer life (both on lithiums--yes, another axis--for long life in the heat of So. Cal).

For my EDC, I have an Arc AAA LE and an SF L4 on my person. An SF E2E/KL1 and an SL TL-3 (incandescent) in my bag.

My wife's EDC is an Arc AAA LE and an Arc sLS. My wife's car has an SL 3C LED and a Brinkmann LX Lithium. She doesn't go out much at night, or she'd have the two new SL TL-3s.

I guess I'm anal, too! Of course, JohnK, everyone does this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Richard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
no house, no groups, just my personal favourites that go to bed with me and one in my pocket when I go out and my keychain EDC: Arc LS
bernhard

FNG

Enlightened
Mine is just EDC or Non EDC.

EDC - Arc AAA and SF E2e-HA.

Non EDC - UKE 2L (going in the car when I get one again) and 2AA Flourescent Lamp.

Might be selling the E2e to get a ASP Taclite. Still trying to find the perfect EDC for me. Already had a SL Scorpion, UKE 2L, SF G2Z, and now the E2e.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Fro the truly anal, a 3-dimensional matrix would be in order:
x-axis:dim-bright-long throw
y-axis: size
z-axis: battery type

edit: seems like Milkyspit came up with this one already!

asign a shelf for each x-axis catogory, and you can even store your lights that way.

For me it's mainly bikemounted - headlights - handheld - fallen out of grace (and I-know-I've-got-it-somewhere...)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, yup, it takes many dimensions to do the job right, unfortunately. This problem would however be a dream for mathematics majors! Those guys love multidimensional spaces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, the "mount" is itself an axis! Handheld, head strap, hat clip, bike mount, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of lights, but over time it has evolved (devolved?) to a 2 dimensional situation for me.

If you counted my keychain carry (ARC AAA) I suppose that would be a third dimension.

My 2 are...

1. A light that is bright enough for most things and dim enough not to overwhelm for task lighting or to destroy night vision...my choice: PT Attitude

I use the Attitude for just about all of my needs.

2. A light with a bright spot and long throw to light up those things "of interest" so you can see "what the heck that noise was..." ...my choice: UK 4AA AS2

That UK is really compact and cheap to feed.

The battery dimension has gotten really simple for me. I use either AAA or AA for just about all my lights. I use NiMH for all routine use and keep a set of alkalines on hand for true emergency purposes. I just wait for sales at places like Walgreens and usually stock up on a few packs of alkalines at about 25 cents per battery.

Side note: My wife really loves her Infinity Ultra (almost as versatile as the Attitude IMO). She gave away her last Ultra to her Mom and I got her a new one. I keep a stash of "dead" alkalines from TV Remotes, wireless keyboards, etc. (usually the ones that came with whatever device). I put a "new" battery into her Ultra from the "dead" battery stash...and away it shone! I've got so many "dead" batteries of this type...I won't likely *ever* have to buy another AA battery ever again to feed that Ultra! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
I try to make sure I have a light with throw and a longer burning light with me all the time. Plus I always have an Infinity Ultra on my keychain.
I limit my battery types also and try to stick to 123s - It gets rather cold up here in Maine.

Tom

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Interesting idea. I organize my EDC that way but never thought of a similar "house cluster".

Brightnorm