Modding a McGizmo Haiku XP-G LE?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just scored a 6V McGizmo Haiku in a trade and I'm pretty excited. This will be my second Haiku and my dedicated work light. If for some reason I can't fall in love with the cool white tint of the stock XP-G which may be the case, since I am a 4500K fan I have a bare XP-G R4 5B LED to swap in. So my question would be how difficult of a procedure is it? I have a buddy that is an electronics tech, good at soldering and has all the proper tools. Is this something that is fairly simple and what are some things to keep in mind? Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine it being very hard. I've been wanting to do an emitter swap on my Haiku. I just need to find time to do it.

The light engine unscrews out of the head easily. The MCPCB that's mounted to the pill is not permanently afixed to it so you should be able to take it off fairly easily. I had to slip an xacto knife in between the MCPCB and pill and it came off with little fuss. Just be sure not to cut any wires underneath it. After that, all you need to do is unsolder the wires from the MCPCB and remove the led from it. Clean it up and then reflow another xp-g emitter onto it. If you're friend is good, the reflow soldering part should be easy and clean. Now reverse the process and that should do it.

I guess the vital part is to reflow the new emitter properly. If not, then the led might not be centered when placed back into the body.