McGizmo XR19 PD update------XPG19B PD

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I was contacted to update a McGizmo XR19 PD. The owner wants max throw and brightness and was open to suggestions. He decided on a bright white XP-G. I've never used or worked on an XR19 before and had suggested a new heatsink while in there. The stock XR-E uses a small thin heatsink board that only make contact with an area roughly 2mm thick by 1.4mm that sits on a ledge inside the head.
I designed a new brass heatsink that has 11.25mm of surface contact area on the inside of the head. It is also bored for the 2mm X 10mm board the emitter is mounted on and followed by a larger bore for the McR19 XR reflector to sit down into essentially turning the reflector into an extension of the heatsink. The depth of the brass heatsink allowed me to mount the XP-G low enough to focus properly. Since there was now a gap between the emiter and reflector, the solder pads were visible and looked bad. To solve this some aluminum was drilled slightly larger than the dome on the XP-G and turned on the lathe to fit over the emitter. The disc is insanely thin and will be coated with thermal adhesive to provide isolation from the pads. The top of the disc will be sanded withnultra fine sandpaper and polished to help direct all those lumens out front, and to help it appear as part of the reflector while covering the solder pads. Glad I took the time to clean it up.

I'll update the thread when the light is completed , but was excited to share the current progress.

I've designed several new brass heatsinks recently and they will likely become the standard offering for all my emitte
r swaps in the future. Nothing wrong with Don's design, but with the newer emitters and driver running more power means more heat. These new heatsinks will help a lot with thermal management. My LS20.1B has the new brass heatsink and the heat gets conducted to the head noticably faster!!
It only seems right to do it this way from now on since it actually does help.

photobucket-39568-1334881218347.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaaaaaand....the rest of my post! I really hate my Xoom won't let me edit my posts.:scowl::mad:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. Eventually I'll update it with pics from my digital camera.

Anyway, :shrug: heres the rest of the pics for now. :)
The original XR-E / heatsink is shown next to the new brass heatsink showing exactly how much more mass and surface contact it has with the head.

Codename: XPG19B PD

photobucket-36010-1334881381865.jpg
photobucket-20308-1334881424245.jpg
photobucket-35859-1334881289048.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
Cant wait to see this one finished.. really excited for this.

fyrstormer

Banned
Technically speaking, with a newer emitter, there should be less heat, because the newer emitter converts more of the input power into visible light instead. So the extra heat comes entirely from increasing the driver's power output. The Law of Conservation of Energy applies.

Anyway, I too am interested to see how the beam turns out.