What are your flashoholic rituals?

zenbeam

Enlightened
Here are some of the things I do when it comes to researching, seeking and receiving that next light!
  1. I have my bookmarks pretty highly organized into category folders under of course "Flashlights".
    Like: Accessories, Forums & Info, Manufacturers, My Flashlights, Online Retailers, Reviews, and Wishlist.

Inside my "Wishlist" folder, I have a folder, "Top Choices" and then a series of folders by mfg name.
    Once I obtain a light, I move all related links to a newly created folder (named after the light) in the "My Flashlights" folder. I will usually do this once I actually place the order - before ever receiving the light. And BTW - I typically buy my lights online. I am almost afraid to go looking locally... lol.
  2. Having evolved my flashoholism somewhat, I now pick up on potential new lights by browsing various posts in CPF and then googling flashlight names I pick up - and look for even more info, pricing and availability, etc. I also do the reverse - I use the CPF google search to search CPF for any info on lights I may come across out "in the wild" on the internet.

As I gather information, I make determinations as to my personal desire or lack thereof overall for the current light in question. And I will either add more links to information about it to my "Wishlist" bookmarks or in some cases - eliminate any links I have after deciding I have no interest in a light.

And of course, when the bug bites hard enough and that decision to buy is fully triggered, I shop around just a bit for what seems like the best deal overall from a reliable source. Once ordered, I enjoy tracking the shipments too.
  3. Another thing I do once I order a light is create a folder on my harddrive (of course under a "My Flashlights" folder in My Documents) with that light's name and use it for photographs and other images that I find about the web for it.

And yes, I make it a habit to take "unpackaging" photos of every light I receive. And then further edit those into a group of shots to upload to photobucket should I ever choose to share them here for example.
OK! Phew!

I realize that some of that stuff is damn near OCD behavior! But I prefer to consider it a thorough approach to enjoying the overall experience of the hobby. I did pretty much the same thing for creating my pocket knife collection, and with no discernible ill effect - if not in fact... much enjoyment of the experience! Collecting is more than end result - like hunting for example. I suppose as long as it doesn't interfere with your responsibilities and relationships, it can't be so bad eh? Just rather geeky as in my case. :thumbsup:

So now that I've shamelessly shared my ritualistic flashlight collecting behaviors, who among you dare to share your flashoholic ritual(s)?

Last edited:

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Lol!! I do almost the same stuff. Although I'm limited to my iPhone. I still make lists of possible choices in my notes, in order from most desired to least. Search around finding reviews of the lights. Look on CPF for info. Bookmarking pages adding web sites to my home screen. I usually compare the pros and cons of lights and how one will fit in with what I need it for better than the other. An of course the look of the light. And I thought I was the only one who does this (lol) thanks for sharing.

davyro

Enlightened
Firstly i bookmark CPF,then I've got a list of dealers bookmarked then the real rituals start....
I have a no shelf queens policy so all of my lights are on a rotor everyone of them gets at least 24hrs edc
On weekends it's flashlight maintenance time,only the lights that need it though not all of them every weekend,cleaning with deoxit gold,lube & a polish for the Titanium.
Batteries on a rotor as well, recharge usually on a Sunday afternoon.
Sunday night down to the seafront with usually 3 different lights to play with.
Monday it starts all over again.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hmmm, rituals?

OK, I decide I might need a light for whatever excuse I'm using...

I search here for reviews if I am undecided...and then look for it used.

If I see a used one that looks like it will fit the bill, I'll buy it.

If not, if not too expensive, I'll just order from whoever has it in stock that I like, etc.

If really expensive (For me at least), I might actually compare a few prices, then buy it...or, just wait for a good used one to come along.

When it arrives, I hope I have charged cells for it, and, as I usually do, I put them in and light it, play to make sure it works, and then throw it into whatever bag/box that niche of light is for.

If I am out somewhere I can catch some beamshot pics...and do that too.

I almost made a spread sheet of the lights to mostly let me plot cell use, but I am too ADD to be OCD enough.

:D

Daekar

Enlightened
Wow, that is impressive! My rituals vary somewhat, but in general my purchases are stimulated by a perceived need (real or whimsical) and I do my best to find a light that fits that category. For instance, there are the 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x18650, 2x18650, Spotlight, and recently whatever category the Fenix TK41 fits in. Of course, I had all of those filled previously, but the advent of neutral/high CRI made everythig obsolete overnight. So the purchase ritual consists of finding possible lights to meet the need and agonizing for around a month before purchasing most of the time.

My other rituals pertain to use: always recharge batteries asap after use. Clean lenses with special wipes to keep them looking good and bright ... and drool over lights I don't need. :)

zenbeam

Enlightened
@dayro

That reminds me of even more that I do "ritualistically" - more so after the purchase in this case. It's called "the savoring". lol

Maintenance... forgot about that one. Since I am rather new to flashlight collecting (meaning I pretty much only have new lights), what I do is more preventative maintenance than anything else. With each new light, after the unpackaging photos, I clean it with compressed air to remove any machined metal dust or packaging dust. Then, if I can't perceive that it's been lubed, I give the threads and o-rings a very light Super Lube application. And then I put a tiny spec of De-Oxit Gold on the spring and the positive terminal contact.

But you see, not only is this practical preventative maintenance, it is also part of the underlying ritual of "savoring" the insertion of the battery and that first moment of switching it ON!

But not so fast! After the threads are lubed and contacts dabbed - I re-assemble the light, put it aside and inspect the rest of the contents of the box to see just what all came with it. then I consider if I want to lanyard this puppy, holster it, clip it or pocket it - or a combo thereof and then I attach a lanyard - or not. And if a holster came with it, I test out the fit for a minute.

Now I put everything down and register the flashlight online for that warranty and/or extended warranty depending on the mfg.

Then... finally... I go up to the "mancave" and into the "battery storage closet" lol... and load her up and turn her on! And of course once it gets dark - I go out in the yard to play even more. :naughty:

Over the next few days or weeks I will further refine the whole carry method thing.

@TEEJ
How is the whole used thing working out for you?

@Daekar
I have a very similar approach to help me determine what type of light to go for next. Or I use that as an excuse... lol.

And ha! I knew if I shared this kind of stuff, there just had to be others.... lol :wave:

scout24

Flashaholic
If they're not terribly expensive, I've got to order two when I pull the trigger. All my pocketclips face the same way when they're on my bookshelf, and my PD's trit needs to be perpendicular to it's pocketclip... :)

mbw_151

Enlightened
Ah yes, rituals.
1. Stare at master list of lights and decide what to upgrade next.
2. Cruise CPFMP, Ebay, and online retailers looking for a suitable replacement
3. Sell selected light on CPFMP, buy new light and place in service
4. Check master list for lights to PM: inspect, clean, lube and batteries
5. Continue to look for really good deal on high quality data logging light meter
6. Dream of creating runtime graphs with #5

Last edited:

JNieporte

Enlightened
Before I get the light, I research it. Here, EDC Forums, budget Light, etc.
I get the exact model number and order from the cheapest place (state-side only) possible. I really try to stay with the CPF dealers. I read every review and watch every video.

Once the light arrives, I treat it like I would getting a used light...
Make sure all the O-rings are there. Make sure the emitter is good. Make sure the threads aren't crossed. Make sure the circlip on the tailcap is tight. Insert a battery, lube the threads, and make my observations. I'll normally attach a lanyard, pocket clip, or find a holster for the light from my collection. While this checking is going on, I'll normally re-watch a video of the light I'm playing with.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zenbeam I do nearly the exact same things you described in post #1 and #6, your details about your habits pre-purchase and post purchase are about the best I think I've read and like I said really mirror what I do but I think you take organizing your info just a tad further than me which is pretty impressive as you've only been a member since April but really really have everything situated. It may sound like to much to an outsider but it really takes a lot to stay on top of things and know your stuff.

You have 75 post I vote to skip the next 25 and go directly to flashaholic, no doubt you are sir.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

@TEEJ
How is the whole used thing working out for you?

And ha! I knew if I shared this kind of stuff, there just had to be others.... lol :wave:

Great actually, as the lights here are typically treated well, and some were even catch and release versions..IE: Bought to check out, and then sold again w/o ever having seen EDC use, etc.

Most of the lights I'm interested in are durable, tough, reliable lights.

Most of the lights I'm interested in will be beaters (Essentially All really), so a few chips or dents, wear on the bezels, etc...are no big deal, as I might add that sort of thing to the light myself anyway in use.

So, I can buy a beat up surefire or other good light cheaper, as its not "as collectable" due to actually having been worn, so its value is now based on it's value as a TOOL rather than its value as a shelved/shiny example of the species.

An SR90, a light that I would not buy new when it was around $400-500 (Because spending over $400 is out of my budget), becomes affordable when a used one pops up closer to $200 than to $500, etc.

Combine the lower price with the probability that the light is in functioning condition, and its even better than buying a used car after its initial depreciation...as the mileage is typically not a factor here. :D

I have never had a used light fail more than a new light, in the ~ 30+ years of using them. Sure, I have new ones too, as I'm impatient sometimes...but a good light is still a good light, and whether I am the first one to turn it on or not doesn't change that.

Another used bonus is modifications. Some of the used lights are modded, so I can get the light for less than a new one, plus, get the mods included. Vinh has some screaming deals on used stuff he's modded, you can buy a light that outperforms the new lights AND is more reliable (As he's already resoldered/centered/adjusted it, swapped drivers, switches, etc) than the new one.

So, all in all, IF a used version is available, I look for it first, as its cheaper (Doh), and typically in perfect/better than new working order.

Last edited:

zenbeam

Enlightened
Zenbeam I do nearly the exact same things you described in post #1 and #6, your details about your habits pre-purchase and post purchase are about the best I think I've read and like I said really mirror what I do but I think you take organizing your info just a tad further than me which is pretty impressive as you've only been a member since April but really really have everything situated. It may sound like to much to an outsider but it really takes a lot to stay on top of things and know your stuff.

You have 75 post I vote to skip the next 25 and go directly to flashaholic, no doubt you are sir.

Well thanks for the honorary flashaholic dubbing! lol

I think I had a bit of a head start in the organizational dept. when I went through my pocket knife collection phase last year. But because I've found flashlight technology and it's variety and nuances so much more fascinating personally, I had to further develop my organizational approach. And it may go just a bit deeper as I continue along this path. I frequently have the time to do this sort of thing while at work (shhhhhhh... lol), so that helps.

But yeah, it was the other day when I was working on some re-structuring of my bookmarks system that I began to think that I can't be the only one with some systems, if not rituals in place even to accommodate and enjoy this interesting hobby. So I took the chance of baring my soul... lol.

@TEEJ
Thanks for sharing your perspective and approach to the used light market. I may consider that myself - more especially when I inevitably begin to want to dabble in custom builds or modified lights. And thanks to your recommendations, I would start right here with Vinh.

davyro

Enlightened
Well thanks for the honorary flashaholic dubbing! lol

I think I had a bit of a head start in the organizational dept. when I went through my pocket knife collection phase last year. But because I've found flashlight technology and it's variety and nuances so much more fascinating personally, I had to further develop my organizational approach. And it may go just a bit deeper as I continue along this path. I frequently have the time to do this sort of thing while at work (shhhhhhh... lol), so that helps.

But yeah, it was the other day when I was working on some re-structuring of my bookmarks system that I began to think that I can't be the only one with some systems, if not rituals in place even to accommodate and enjoy this interesting hobby. So I took the chance of baring my soul... lol.

@TEEJ
Thanks for sharing your perspective and approach to the used light market. I may consider that myself - more especially when I inevitably begin to want to dabble in custom builds or modified lights. And thanks to your recommendations, I would start right here with Vinh.

I second what TEEJ has said,of the 4 HDS lights i own 3 of them are second hand ones.All 3 of the second hand ones were in a perfect condition,they do hold there price well but i still think i got very good bargains,so i would say it won't do you any harm to spend a bit time in the market place.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My rituals are charging a buncha 18650s (wp6 II) or topping off before any trip I might use my lights.
Mostly night rides and trail maintenance or jump building.

Regular cleaning and ProGold applications to springs and cells.

I charge or top off a 16340 for my EDC (mini123 hiCRI) and rotate so the cells aren't always @full.

I probably top off a little too often..

I regularly read up on CPF mostly BSTcustoms and LED sections.
I'm always looking for MORE POWER as well as HIGHER CRI.

Also always checking for new aspheric options and more lux for my throwers.

Most of my lights use p60 modules so it's easy to keep up with new emitters & tints.

Every time I think I have the bug licked someone has to come up with a better mouse trap that I MUST buy...

Keeps things fun tho ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

I forgot one VERY important advantage to buying used...

If a package comes from say, Going Gear...it looks like I BOUGHT something.

If a package comes from "Some guy in PA", etc, it looks like a friend sent me something.

:devil:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call pre-purchase product/price research a specific flash-a-holic ritual... it does however make good consumer sense :thumbsup:

My only behaviour I would regard as ritualistic is popping the Li-Ion's on charge to top them up prior to use & cycling the cells through my lights so they all get a chance to provide "Lumen goodness" :whistle:

zenbeam

Enlightened
I wouldn't call pre-purchase product/price research a specific flash-a-holic ritual... it does however make good consumer sense :thumbsup:

Granted, but if you did it with the fervor I've been known to...... it becomes every bit as much a part of the enjoyment of the act of collecting as opening the package when it arrives. :naughty:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ritual is pretty much set in stone by now:

If it's a postal delivery, I'll check the tracking from work and then get home to find a card. Most often they send it to the postal outlet on my street a few clicks away which, 95% of the time, means I can pick it up right away. If not, then I'll stop by on the way from work the next day. I always open the package in the car, put a battery in when I have one, and play with it for a minute.

If it's a courier delivery, I have it sent at work. My colleague will show up with a big innocent smile on his face (he knows about my lights) and not say a word until he can tell I know what he's up to (I even got another guy in on my ritual!). At that point, I drop whatever it is I'm doing, shake like a dog whose owner just got home and tear at the package like a starving lion. Nah, I use my EDC knife, not the workshop exacto knife –it has to be MY knife. Of course, I put a battery in (I now make sure I bring the right battery) and show it to my co-worker who insists on seeing all my new lights – even those I get delivered at home. During lunch, I try the throw in the warehouse with the lights on and again before leaving with the lights off. I also bring it outside to shine at my shadow in the broad sunlight (it gives a good indication of brightness).

When I get home, I lock myself up in the bathroom for a few minutes and compare it with one or two similar lights. I most often order for myself AND my cousin, so I'll wait for his call, act stupid "what light?" and then answer his questions (crap, I got TWO guys in on my ritual!!!!). I normally play at least 2 evenings with my new lights (while watching TV or something) and EDC them for at least 2 days as well –during which time I'll play with them here and there during my shift.

Then I wait for Friday or Saturday and if it's not raining I'll head for the trail with similar lights to compare.