MG P-Rocket - Cree XP-G vs the XM-L ?

ps56k

Enlightened

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L will get you higher overall output, but XP-G will get you better throw.

Also, there are two flavors of XM-L P-Rockets--one that drives the emitter at 1.4A and the other at 2.8A.
The 1.4A version will get you 530 lumens at the emitter (~430 OTF) and 2.8A will do 850 lumens at the emitter (~700 OTF).
1.4A version will get you better runtime and won't overheat as fast as the 2.8A.

ps56k

Enlightened
Yeah, I was looking at the lower power version.
Wonder if there are any others I should look at in this power and battery range and maybe a little lower cost ?

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P-rocket is already in the "budget" category; if you want something with similar specs at a lower cost you'll probably need to look into something from DX or a similar site, like an Ultrafire or Trustfire or Fandyfire or something.

Tiresius

Enlightened
w/e u do, try to refrain from getting some DX lights. I've had bad experiences with all of the lights I've bought. Many of them got de-constructed because of failures.

That being said, I own the XML version with a NW tint. IMO, the 18650 batteries are the better option for run times and re-usability. Plus, you don't have to deal with over-voltage heat when putting 2 cells in. I went for the 2.8a because the you'll never know when you want that extra bright light. The 3 modes make up for the dimmer option and longer run times. Better to have that extra lumen than to need it when you don't have it.

Tiresius

Enlightened