AA equivalent to Surefire G2X Tactical

Tommato

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a AA battery equivalent to the Sunfire G2X Tactical, which uses CR123 batteries. The G2X is a simple one mode flashlight (200 lumens/off). I don't necessarily need all 200 lumens, but 180+ would be nice. Needs to be about 1" in diameter, and have on/off/momentary switched through the tailcap switch only. Prefer a fixed and non-moving bezel.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas,
Tommato

lightinsky

Enlightened
Why don't you look at the 150 lumen on high and 18 lumens on low Inova X2 available at Target, The Sports Authority and of course online. It takes 2AA's and is almost as bright as my Inova X03 that is 200 lumens on high and 18 lumens on low. I believe price is around $35-40.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If cost or safety is preventing you from getting that light, have you considered using rechargeable 123A's? SureFire sells a kit for $29, and lithium phosphate batteries are safe and hassle-free.

Keep in mind that 2AA lights rarely have 1" diameters because the batteries are narrower, and the lights are usually longer.

Tommato

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys; I'll take a look at that Inova light. The reason I want AAs isn't because I think they are a superior battery (they're not), or safety. The reason is availability and commonality with all other handheld stuff I have. If SHTF I want to be able to depend on a ready battery supply, regardless of where I am. Flashlights, headlamps, rifle optics, night vision gear, GPS, etc - all AA.

Thanks,
Tommato

Yamabushi

Enlightened
How about a 4Sevens Quark AA^2 Turbo? 205 lumens max. Tactical UI lets you choose 2 modes but you can just use one.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Surefire 9P with a Malkoff M31 and a Delrin sleeve to prevent rattling. I suggest the 9P instead of the G3 because it will be better at controlling heat, but if you must have a plastic body, it will work.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Surefire 9P with a Malkoff M31 and a Delrin sleeve to prevent rattling. I suggest the 9P instead of the G3 because it will be better at controlling heat, but if you must have a plastic body, it will work.

The only stock SureFire to use AA batteries is the E2L-AA, but it sounds like its 80/3 lumen output(s) may not be bright enough for you.

I agree with Z-Tab, a 9P/G3 will fit 2xAA (and the sleeve will reduce battery rattle) and the Malkoff M31 will give you 230 lumen output. If you choose the Nitrolon host however, I would suggest at least using a metal (Z44) bezel for heat-sinking, and/or considering the M31L (125 lumen) drop-in instead. You will also benefit from much more runtime with the M31L, of course.

(BTW, you should also be aware that the M31 series drop-ins have a Max voltage of 3.3v, except the M31LL is rated only to 3.0v)

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Program a Quark aa2 tactical too max output. 206 lumens with the r5 emitter coolwhite. 180 lumens with the hi cri. And nearly 240 lumens with the XML emitter. You never have to loosen the bezel and you'd have one mode.
You could also get a Dereelight Javelin single mode dropin.

Or a Malkoff 2aa twistie with VME head or I sow a 2aa e series body that'd go with the VME head and a Malkoff dropin. M30 dropin is 200ish lumens depending on the tint and dropin you choose

Last edited: