Olight tailcap compatibility?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I have an Olight M31, which I love. One thing I see is that the threads from the body to the head and getting a little beaten up from screwing and unscrewing the head to change modes. I know the threads on these aren't the best. A good amount of grease on the threads is making it a lot better, but I found myself wondering if one of the tailcaps from the other lights, the one with the side button, would work on an M31.

Would the tailcap from an M30 fit/work on the M31?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, thanks. Just wondering if the same interruption that the unscrewing achieved was the same thing done by the sideswitch.
Like I said, it's doing fine since I greased it up, just wondering if there was a way to avoid the loosening/tightening altogether.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
A side switch function cap may fit but will not work for switching modes.

Actually......it should work. I have an M3X and for a while had an M20-S also, the tail cap from the M20-S worked great on the M3X changing modes as long as the head was tightened. The M3X is a two mode (head loose and head tight UI) and with the head tight it works perfectly.

EDIT: It turned my 2 mode M3X into Low/Med/High/Strobe and strobe from off just like on the M20-S.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually......it should work. I have an M3X and for a while had an M20-S also, the tail cap from the M20-S worked great on the M3X changing modes as long as the head was tightened. The M3X is a two mode (head loose and head tight UI) and with the head tight it works perfectly.

EDIT: It turned my 2 mode M3X into Low/Med/High/Strobe and strobe from off just like on the M20-S.

I swapped my M20s tail cap over to my M31 again and tried it with the head tight. It ran through the modes twice and then started strobing and would not stop. It still doesn't work for me. After I put the correct tail cap back on, all was normal again.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted Olight USA to see if I could use the smooth tailcap on my M30 on my M3X, and they told me not to use it on the M3X. They futher explained that it will work for a while (not using the side switch), but not long term.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted Olight USA to see if I could use the smooth tailcap on my M30 on my M3X, and they told me not to use it on the M3X. They futher explained that it will work for a while (not using the side switch), but not long term.

Very interesting. I appreciate everyone's input on this. My faith is renewed in the light since I heavily greased the threads, operation is much smoother to change modes, not the harsh grinding when loosening and tightening. For now, I'm using a syringe of Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube Grease, probably not the best choice.

What's the best grease for these kinds of threads? I'm thinking it should be something thicker than Nyogel.