Flashlight bulb question - Garrity 2AA Flashlight.

jhereg

Enlightened
I purchased a couple of the 2AA Garrity lights because I read the switch would give me a click switch for
a Surefire G2. When I disassembled the light I noticed the bulb is the same style of bulb the "Police"
flashlights sold on EBay use. There was a difference in the filament I assumed was because the AA light is 3v
instead of 6v, but the bulb diameter & dimensions match. Since I was parting out the flashlight I had to try
one at 6v. It made a pretty flashbulb. Can anyone tell me what this style of bulb is called, and if there is
a source of good 6v bulbs?

Cougar_Allen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Flashlight bulb question - Garrity 2AA Flashli

It's an odd kind of bulb, with a flange at the bottom of the metal part, and you push it into the socket from the bottom and the flange keeps it from being pushed into the reflector. My local Radio Shack and all my local hardware stores have never seen anything like it -- including a hardware store that carries Garrity flashlights. They suggested I look on the Garrity website for a part number so they could order it for me, but it isn't on the Garrity website either.

I decided it's an unobtainium bulb and put a screw-base lamp assembly and a K222 in there for now, but I'm not satisfied with that solution. The K222 sux and the original bulb was worse for the brief time I saw it before I tried overdriving it with 3 N cells and killed it -- not very bright at all. I think I'm going to put a Luxeon in there. It's a kind of nice flashlight body ... it'd be nice if it could produce some decent light....

Oh, one more thing I discovered: the tailcap fits on a minimag. The threads aren't the same and it won't screw in all the way, but it fits well enough to work and you can cover the exposed threads with an extra O-ring.

The flashlight is new; I suppose the bulb will become available eventually, maybe soon ... but it's so dim you'll probably want to replace it with something else anyway.

-Cougar :{)

jhereg

Enlightened

I hoped it was a standard type of bulb. I have been using one of the "police" flashlights from ebay recently. The flashlight feels good, but the beam is Mag quality. I modified a Surefire P60 LA to fit in one, but was curious if I coild fix another one with a lamp change. I discovered the Garrity 2AA bulb fit in it, but being a 3V bulb it flashed at 6v. Here is a picture of a 6v bulb in the same formfactor.
http://www.vectorcom.net/eBay/Images/Xenon_Bulb.jpg
(This is a picture I found in an ebay auction.)

Your idea of modifying one of the Garrity lights is a good idea. I am planning on putting a Luxeon in one of the police lights. I like the idea of putting one in one of these Garrity lights.

Andy

cannon50

Newly Enlightened

jhereg -

I have a few bulbs with the number CM-381 that are rated at 6.3 volts I found listed at donnsbulbs.com that look a lot like this. They are about 15mm tall. I can't believe they are listed at $8.00 each. I salvaged them out of some ancient piece of electronics and I will send you a couple no charge if you want to give it a try.

jhereg

Enlightened

Cannon50,
Thanks. I will send you my address. I measure the bulbs I have as approx 11/16 tall which would convert to approx 17.5mm. I measured with a tape measure & that includes the contact on the bottom. (My calipers are 700 mi away.) The body of the base is approx 1/4" in diameter. Does that match the bulbs you have?

Andy

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also cannibalized two Garrity, ("Ozark Trails"), 2XAA lights for their clickies to use on my G2's, (which are EXCELLENT by the way). I found the lights were decently built and didn't want to just throw them away. I found them much brighter than regular mini mags but their beams were just as bad. I put WriteRight on the lenses and it really cleaned up the beam! I also put Kroll clickies on them which fit if you thread them carefully but leave a gap between the switch and the body. I used heat shrink tape to fill the gap and seal it. You just have to load the batteries by taking off the head. If anyone comes up with a brighter bulb than stock that will work with 3V, please let us know because to me, these lights are MUCH nicer than MM's.

jhereg

Enlightened

I did some searching on the link that cannon50 posted above. It appears that bulb has an SX6 base and is listed as a "Single Contact Midget Flanged." www.donsbulbs.com lists a number of bulbs, but they are fairly expensive or out of stock. Can anyone tell me what the expected amps & watts would be on a 3v or 6v bulb? (Just a ballpark number. I have noticed some of the bulbs in the 5W to 10W range at 6v.)

Andy

cannon50

Newly Enlightened

jhereg -

Yes, the base is 1/4 inch. These were pilot lights in some electronic equipment that had very little use and has long since been trashed. I think it was old military item from the 70's. Don't know why I saved them but I will send them out tomorrow.

Larry1582

Enlightened

I don't have a Galls catalog in the house and I can't seem to pull the light up on the web site, but what bulb does the Galls H.A.L.O. flashlight use? I thought it was a similar shape and design. Anybody got one of the catalogs nearby?