New Energizer 1 LED Light at WalMart

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to walMart yesterday, and as usual, was cruising through the sporting goods/camping department looking for new lights. Sure enough, I spotted a new offering from Energizer. It's a single LED light that runs on 3 LR44 button cells that's worn around the neck on a break-away lanyard. The "twist" to this light is that it has a tail switch that you pull on instead of push to turn the light on! You turn it on like you would a light bulb that has a pull string switch...pretty nifty! It's named after Energizer's new LED/CCFT light...it's also called a Trail Finder LED Light. On fresh batteries it's as bright as my Ultra-G, but on 3 button cells I doubt that that will last very long. Energizer claims 12 hour run-time on 3 button cells (provided), but after the first hour I'd venture to say that brightness will be RAPIDLY diminishing. All in all, for around 5 bucks it seems to be a pretty good deal! The beam has some weird artifacts as a result of the dome shaped lens covering the LED, but for a utility light that hangs around your neck and is turned on by a simple tug on the light itself, it's pretty spiffy for the price! I couldn't find it on Energizer's website, but my WalMart had LOTS of 'em...so go spend 5 bucks and pick one up! It's pretty handy, and appears to be fairly weather resistant!

PJD

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I got one of those for a friend/co-worker (boss's day) and he really likes it. The button cells are the only obvious negative to me IMO. Although he's not a flashlight geek like me, he's worn/used it quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

They had only one left at my nearest Walmart, so I bought it along with an Optronics Nightblaster 3LED Mini Headlamp. The Energizer is a nifty light although when I tried to unscrew the head to check the batteries I almost broke the thing. Also, the Energizer logo on the plastic body has completley rubbed off, but I sort of like the "sterile" look anyway. Not a bad little LED light for $5 bucks. Now, I really like the Nightblaster. A really good buy at just under $8 bucks. Very comparable to the Streamlight Clipmate.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cosmic...I agree with you about the optronics lights. I bought one of the white and one of the red ones. IMHO, they're pretty good lights for 8 bucks!

PJD

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
JLJ said:
Anybody have a picture or link?

JLJ

[/ QUOTE ]

A pic of the Energizer or the Optronics NightBlaster?

Here's a pic of the NightBlaster.

hl403.jpg

Quickbeam reviewed a 1 LED version HERE. It's essentially the same light except that the Optronics has 3 LEDs, but Quickbeam's review has close up pics of the flashlight's body. Glow-Bug also has the same light under the name "Clipper 3 Headlight".

Unfortunately, Energizer doesn't have a pic or description of the small TrailFinder LED light. If I can find a pic or link, I'll post it.

LightScene

Enlightened
Do you know if the Nightblaster will run better on NiMh batteries or on alkaline?