Purple/UV Light Set at Michael's

Kirk

Enlightened
Purple/UV Light Set at Michael\'s

Picked up a "purple" light set at Michael's arts and crafts store yesterday in Bakersfield. The package is labeled "Spooky Town Collection by LEMAX", "Halloween Purple Light, Set of 2". I think it's supposed to be used for "floodlighting" your miniature Halloween decorations or diorama or the like. It has a black plastic battery box that holds 3 AAs and contains the On-Off switch. This is connected by two 2-foot wires to the two black plastic LED holders. These holders look like miniature rectangular halogen floodlight housings. The housings are 1 1/4 inches wide x 7/8 inches tall x 1 inch deep (32mm x 22mm x 25mm) and contain 2 purple LEDs each with chrome insides and a clear plastic lens. The housings are mounted on pivoting stands so you can aim them up-down and sideways. The package says purple and they look purple when on, but they must put out quite a bit of UV because they "charge" my luminous watch pretty good and make white objects and day-glo colors "light up". I bought them to possibly modify with white LEDs for more general use, but I think I'll keep them as-is for the UV. The package had a $12.99 price tag, but Michael's had a 40% off sale to move out the Halloween stuff to make room for the Christmas stuff. I don't have a camera so I can't post pictures, but check out Michael's and see if they have any left.
Kirk

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Purple/UV Light Set at Michael\'s

Sounds interesting and fun.

For $6.50 I might have to check it out.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Darn!!! ANOTHER place we don't have around here. None that I know of or can get to anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I get flyers from them in the paper once in awhile, so I'm guessing there's a Micheal's in the boonies somewhere, just like Wall-Mart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Let me check today's newspaper and see if there's a Micheal's flyer in it...BRB...OK, there *is* a Michael's flyer, and it's advertising mostly Christmas decorations inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
The nearest Michael's is in Kirkland, then there's another one in Bellevue not much farther away. I don't think they're on the bus line though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Kirk, could you mail me one of these if I Paypal'd you?

Dreck

Newly Enlightened

If any of you are interested...check Spooky town.com.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

I would hope they have put a UV warning on the package if these are indeed UV LEDs. Seems carelees otherwise...

I can see the headlines now, "children blinded with cataracts caused by cheap halloween toy..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Dreck

Newly Enlightened

Hey guys...I got a set of these things (e-bay). Man these things are bright! Craig...I understand some are coming your way, just wait till you get them(if you haven't already). They easily light up a 12x12 room, light up all the secret stuff on credit cards, the strips on currency and they make my wife's green depression glass scream from 10 feet away! Seems like a lot of u.v. output, enough to be uncomfortable to look at. I would suggest getting some just for grins. Thanks for the tip Kirk!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

These lights ARE bright!
I have a set of them written up on my website right here if you're interested.

The LEDs appear to be well-binned 405nm models. I don't have any green depression glass or vaseline glass around here, but I have a used up old telephone insulator that glows a bit. Not like depression glass or vaseline glass though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

There's no UV warning of any kind. The only admonishment of any sort I can find is:

This item is for ornamental and decorative purposes only. It is not a toy and is not intended for children.

This admonishment is also printed in a foreign language (Italian or French or Spanish or something) directly below the english version.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

That is pretty careless then, seems like the company is just asking to be sued! Most adults wouldn't even know not to look into those UV LEDs. A dangerous product if I've ever seen one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif