All power out in Ohio!

Onthelightside

Enlightened
Well my Quark 123^2 X tactical is getting a lot of use. The attachments that make it work the best is the fenix light diffuser cone and the fenix headband. Sounds like 5-7 days without power and it is 95 degrees outside. We were lucky to not have damage to our house. I am typing this from the local mc donalds that happens to have power and wifi. The headband really makes it nice.:candle: Also have my preon 2 in my pocket all the time which really comes in handy too!

bstrickler

Enlightened
McDonalds must be making a fortune right now!

I just had the power go out at work last night, and unfortunately, it was at the end of my shift. Nothing is more fun/creepy than a 100 yard x 100 yard hangar go black RIGHT as you walk in.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Be safe, do you best to enjoy your lights. Maybe this event could be used as a justification to buy more lights.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
We too are without power (has been about 30 hours) and have had temps in the mid-90s as well. We aren't expecting to get power restored for six more days.

I've primarily been using my HDS EDC High CRI, Black Diamond Orbit, SF T1A Titan, and a my homemade 1D li-ion XM-L Mag (for checking the property at night). :D

The little BD Orbit has probably been the most useful light so far. :candle:

Onthelightside

Enlightened
Well I actually am doing good with the lights I have but it would be a good reason to buy some more 17670's the foursevens car charger is coming in handy! The latest report says July 7th for us to get power again. In the night I actually am using some candle power :grin2:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize for any "who in the western world has no power for longer times" I have been typing in recent threads
(regarding lights that only run on rechargeables vs. ones that can be fed with "normal" batteries, too)

Wish You all that the power comes on quickly and that there are no more problems than had already happened

Onthelightside

Enlightened
One news station said over 600,000 and the other said over 800,000 so pretty much the whole state with pockets here and there. Some people are starting to get restored but I have a feeling we will be a while even though in a suburban area we have many down power lines so they will have to be fixed before they can flip the switch.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Did the McDonalds you originally posted from have backup generators or they were just lucky?

Onthelightside

Enlightened
They are in one of the pockets that still has power. They brought staff from other stores that were out of power to help with the increased demand

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope the power comes back soon. Sure its fun to play with our toys, but a lot of people need the power for medical equipment or even just air condioning for some with some med aliments it can be life threatening. And not all can afford backup power sources. We need to think of them first, we can aways find darkness if we look.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What time-weighted average lumen level would you guys say you are using in during this power outage.... just curious.

Hope you get power back soon. As much fun it is to really need and use our preparations and toys, everything else about it must suck.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whew, I don't envy you guys right now. Power outages can be fun, but not multi-day outages in 90+ degree weather. Hope you all are able to keep cool.

If the tap water still works, I'd advise storing up a large stash of water to have on hand in case there's a problem with the water supply. That possibility was mentioned in my area when we had our 5 day outage last year. Doesn't have to be store-bought water, just fill a bunch of containers you have around the house that you can cap off and keep for emergency standby, just in case.

Also, watch for looters outside after dark. Don't leave anything valuable outside. I'd cut off the generator and bring it inside after dark (if you've got one). Hopefully there will be extra police presence (and maybe even Nat'l Guard) soon.

Hang in there!

Danielight

Enlightened
2/3 of the state is without power
2/3 of Ohio without power? If that's what you meant, that figure is highly exaggerated. It may be that 2/3 of the state experienced strong storms (my wife almost found herself in a tornado on Fri near Cambridge, OH, driving home on I-70 from PA). My one daughter who lives near Cincinnati said they lost power for about 4 hours last night (Sat), but it's back on. Presently, there are parts of Columbus still without power. Here in NE Ohio we had some rain and wind, but nothing severe. Anyway, flashaholics become much more appreciated during power outages. Moral of the story: keep your EDC with you at all times. You never know when you'll need it. :laughing:

fishndad

Enlightened
Licking Co. our power was on;y out for 18hrs but buddy down the strees is 2 days know.
Looks like another storm will be here soon.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
What time-weighted average lumen level would you guys say you are using in during this power outage.... just curious.

Hope you get power back soon. As much fun it is to really need and use our preparations and toys, everything else about it must suck.

We have frequent outages and my Energizer headlamp used on lowest setting and Stylus pro, old 24 lumen version are my most used lights. Along with some Walmart puck lights. You need nd use a lot less than most think you do. The headlamp is ultra handy for everything from cooking and cleaming to reading a book.

Of coutse you play with the larger lights and they are handy to check out bumps in the night.

Last edited: