Picked up a Fenix TK11 and I like it a lot!

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
I like this thing! It is not as bright as my TK21 but the TK21 is huge compare to the TK11. The TK11 might not be as bright but it sure is a perfect size for EDC (for me). Not to mention it is one of the prettiest Fenix I have (I have over 10 fenix lights). The high mode is high enough for anything you might need outdoor (not quite S&R but it is bright at 258 lumens).

I suggest you guys pick up a TK11 before they stop making it. It will surely be a classic (like the TK20).

2334stuart

Newly Enlightened
TK 15 r2 is Fenix s best so far for me, I use my flashlight 6 days a week with very heavy use, TK21 runs out of steam too quick for the single 18650. until fenix come out with a more compact and lighter 2x 18650 light, the TK15 r2 is the ultimate

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to get a TK11, but the TK12 has more output options. Same simple UI and pretty much the same size. The only thing that sold the TK12 over the TK11 was the camping mode. 95 lumens for almost 10hrs was too tempting. Plus the 8 lumen low makes itself quite useful as well...

But the TK11 does look better.

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
For some reason I just didn't like the look of the TK12. That's probably the only reason why I didn't get it over the older TK11.

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'm seriously thinking about getting another one for its size/tank like build.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my 2 bob's worth. My scratched and abused TK11Q5 is a far better torch than my TK15R5. Nicer beam profile with a good hotspot and some spill. The 15 just seems to be playing catchup all the time.

Harro, stop spending money on torches and buy those Imedion 9500mah D size LSDs where you were going to buy them.

Maybe you have already bought them.

Give me an update as I have ordered another 4 Imedions for rotation and backup.

Cheers

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my TK11 R5 today. I have to say I love it! For 258 lumens on turbo it's bright enough and even pointing it 20 meters away I really appreciate the throw. I expected the PD31 to be floodier but I was surprised at how throwy the beam is - even double-checked cos I thought they might have shipped an R2 by mistake! It must have come out of the factory last year as inside there's an advertisement leaflet showing the E35. Waiting for the TK12 to arrive on Monday: after a stinch away from CPF I have this retro Fenix itch this week...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly enough the Fenix RLB-L2 18650 battery fits very tight, I had to push it in and unscrew the head to push it out while the AW 18650 3100 mha and the EagleTac 3400 mha fit snugly but would go in and come without having to squeeze them in and out.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the TK11 becoming a classic. Simple, very small, nice tight thrower spot (I have the R2) and very sufficient for what it was intended to do. I don't understand why Fenix insists on having so many modes on their new throwers; If I want less light, I use a smaller flashlight with 5/6 modes, period. A mid-sized light is big for using 4 lumen modes and the spot is too tight for a low output (or SHOULD be since it is supposed to be a thrower). The TK15 is a perfect bicycle light, but not a thrower IMO. The new Fenix Catalogue seems to suggest they will bring it back. I hope they keep the tight beam profile and put a nice new WOW bright emitter in it.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think by now you have made this light a classic. When I decided 1x18650/2xCR123 throwers I realized I must have pulled the trigger for the TK11 because I had read so many of your posts about this light that I needed to have t! :naughty: And BTW thanks for that, you were absolutely right: it's an amazing flashlight! In a moment of addiction I was even tempted to buy an old R2 on sale just to see the difference. It is for sure a great light, it may not be as bright as the latest offerings but I find the excellent runtimes and extremely compact size really make it a special light even in 2013. Personally I don't even mind multimode throwers but if I buy a light I need to know that it can come on the max output without me fumbling with the UI first. Noticing Fenix have updated their LD/PD series to the new XP-G2 R5 I seriously hope the reason why we haven't seen an TK15 XP-G2 is simply because they are designing a whole new light in the tradition of the TK11: I'd rather have them come out with something that is half an inch taller because of a deep reflector that throws further and better than to have a more electronics for the sake of a glorified side switch! If they are still including the TK11 in their 2013 catolog there might be a reason, right? :whistle:

Last edited:

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
I love my TK11, I changed the tail cap to orange so it is more visible. Here it is next to my M11R.

Flashlights-6005-L.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think by now you have made this light a classic. When I decided 1x18650/2xCR123 throwers I realized I must have pulled the trigger for the TK11 because I had read so many of your posts about this light that I needed to have t! :naughty: And BTW thanks for that, you were absolutely right: it's an amazing flashlight! In a moment of addiction I was even tempted to buy an old R2 on sale just to see the difference. It is for sure a great light, it may not be as bright as the latest offerings but I find the excellent runtimes and extremely compact size really make it a special light even in 2013. Personally I don't even mind multimode throwers but if I buy a light I need to know that it can come on the max output without me fumbling with the UI first. Noticing Fenix have updated their LD/PD series to the new XP-G2 R5 I seriously hope the reason why we haven't seen an TK15 XP-G2 is simply because they are designing a whole new light in the tradition of the TK11: I'd rather have them come out with something that is half an inch taller because of a deep reflector that throws further and better than to have a more electronics for the sake of a glorified side switch! If they are still including the TK11 in their 2013 catolog there might be a reason, right? :whistle:

I don't think I made the TK11 a classic on my own, but thanks! I'm glad I could share the Tk11 happiness. The real credit goes to the combination of simple dumb-proof interface, great throw and the 10 hour runtime at 60 lumens. A thrower is a thrower and should be designed accordingly. +1 to everything else you said.

I'm sorta hoping for a special commemorative edition that will blow anything in the category in throw and in runtime - brightness should be considered second to throw.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I made the TK11 a classic on my own, but thanks! I'm glad I could share the Tk11 happiness. The real credit goes to the combination of simple dumb-proof interface, great throw and the 10 hour runtime at 60 lumens. A thrower is a thrower and should be designed accordingly. +1 to everything else you said.

I'm sorta hoping for a special commemorative edition that will blow anything in the category in throw and in runtime - brightness should be considered second to throw.

Yup. I was talking about this a few months ago in a different thread. I don't have a TK11 (yet), but I know just from looking at it for along time it's a special light. I am going to wait a while to see if they do in fact slap an xp-g2 R5 into the TK11. If it doesn't happen then I'll probably still get a TK11 R5.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are two different kind of lights: the PD32 is smaller, has a different UI and doesn't throw that far, just average for its size.
The TK11 has a bigger reflector so throws way further than the PD32 and has a very simple UI. It's not as pocketable as the PD32 - though in a way it is very pocketable - for its category - and is much heavier but probably one of the most rugged and best constracted Fenix lights.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing easier: head tight you have turbo with 258 lumens. Head loose you have 48 lumens.

Do you already have the PD32? If you like the PD32 UI and need a thrower you might want to look at the TK15 S2: it's an inch bigger than the TK11 but brighter and probably throws further.