L4?

kev1-1

Enlightened
Just got an L4 today...WAHOO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One quick question...when I hold it real close to the (obligatory!) white wall, it has a very nice hot spot. However, if I move it back to maybe 30cm or so from the wall a black hole/shadow appears in the centre of the hotspot...is this normal?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well first thing I had to do was find out how far 30 cm was.lol I just checked my KL4 against printer paper and can see what might be called a shadow in the center of the beam pattern. My question is how frequently are we going to be using them at 30 cm where this very minor "shadow" is going to cause a real problem unless we are inspecting white walls from 30 cm. My lights "shadow" spot is so minor that I would have never noticed it but for your post.

kev1-1

Enlightened
The shadow in my L4 is very similar to the one which can appear in the hotspot of the MN03 in the E2e. Good to know that its normalish though!
Sorry smokinbasser...I feel guilty now for drawing your attention to the shadow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kev1-1 LOL I guess now I am going to have to start looking for ways to mod my L4 with better LEDs without a shadow in the center or else quit looking at printer paper from 30 cm hmmm decisions decisions. Well any body can quit looking at printer paper from 30 cm so thats out

kev1-1

Enlightened
Quickbeam...doh! I have read your excellent site many times in the past...I must have forgot! Thanks!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The slight darkening or "doughnut hole" in the center of the beam is quite normal for this product. I don't think I mentioned it in my review, but the beam photo from 5 feet shows this curious little artifact.