Surefire L4 "Wall of Light" Questions

yowzer

Enlightened
The Lux V L4 and its wall of light was one of the best beam types of any flashlight I've ever used. As others have said run time was always the limiting factor.

I have a LuxV L2 that has more spill than my small floody xm-l lights. It's glorious.

Illum

Flashaholic
Interesting, my KL4s do not sport such detailed FCC stencils, the two Cs touched... or it was worn into that state... :thinking:

hmm...
Surefire L4 "wall of light" came about in 2003 I think, used a LuxV.
Because of the LuxV's unusual driving characteristics the driver was different from that of single die LEDs. DaFABRICATA among others managed to stuff in a CREE MC-E when the LuxV became obsolete, this and the later SSC P7 was "wall of light" gen II and III.

This title sustained the L4s fame until Surefire came out with the SSC P4 model, where the hotspot was more profound and didn't mix with the surrounding beam. After PK left as it seems the executive series body design slowly faded off and a ton of new designs rolled in. I'm skeptical if there's future in the L4 for further improvements to be made.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checkout this link tobrien:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l4.htm

I actually own this light. I snagged it when Quickbeam liquidated his collection. It was the poop back in the day!

Some of the KL4s could run on a single CR123 and voila, the 1st pocket rocket was conceived. It was typically mounted on an FB1 tube. One of our esteemed members gave it a name, the TW4. His name escapes me at the moment.

kelmo

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a KL4 modded by mudmanCJ with a MC-E. It is mounted on a E2 tube. This puts out around 300 lumens for about 1 hour and 20 minutes!

The latest L4 variant is under rated in my opinion. It really lights up what is within 20 meters without overwhelming you with glare. I got a all black one, it is lego'd from a black KL4, E2D body, and Z61.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Some of the KL4s could run on a single CR123 and voila, the 1st pocket rocket was conceived. It was typically mounted on an FB1 tube. One of our esteemed members gave it a name, the TW4. His name escapes me at the moment.

Did TW stand for Tactical Workshop or Tactical Warehouse? I think they were sold online at one point.

Climb14er

Enlightened
I've got a Like New Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax, KL4 CE, A14761, FC that as mentioned has only been used on my audio stand here inside the house.

If any of you Surefire Wall of Light devotees are interested in buying it, send me a PM.

The light looks brand new, has pocket clip and has barely been used and always in the house, never carried.

I never thought of selling but if someone really wants it and is willing to pay a decent price for it, I'll let it go.

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules and if so, please 'kindly' let me know.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I've got a Like New Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax, KL4 CE, A14761, FC that as mentioned has only been used on my audio stand here inside the house.

If any of you Surefire Wall of Light devotees are interested in buying it, send me a PM.

The light looks brand new, has pocket clip and has barely been used and always in the house, never carried.

I never thought of selling but if someone really wants it and is willing to pay a decent price for it, I'll let it go.

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules and if so, please 'kindly' let me know.

There is a separate forum for selling stuff... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forum.php

I don't think L4s have hit grail status yet. So many of them were made, and the demand is very specific.

Canuke

Enlightened
This thread inspired me to dig up my first-gen L4 and finally compare it to my XP-G and Nichia 219 Quark Preon II's.

The Preons always remind me of that "wall of light", and indeed their beam profile is almost a perfect match upon comparison.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you everyone for the awesome replies! I apologize I'm so late on this.

Anyways, so is it not really worth it to buy a LuxV version then? my excitement/urge has kinda died down because you guys are saying they were huge battery drainers and so on.

the FB1 is a Vital Gear part, right?

and in general, were the tints on those LuxV L4s any good?

Illum

Flashaholic
and in general, were the tints on those LuxV L4s any good?

Luxeon lottery applied at that time, luxeon lottery essentially meant there's no definite tint to LEDs, some may be purple hued, some may be green hued, blue, so it could be soft white or in rarer occasions, near daylight white. CREE XRE kicked the cool white/neutral white/warm white distinction into the ball park. Before it was random, you never know what the tint is until the light arrives, if the output is blue/purple it sometimes gets resold. Reciprocally people who post WTB (Want to buy) threads, they often specify the tints.

I personally prefer the older LuxVs because of the LT1618 boost driver, it is an excellent battery drainer, and works surprisingly well in the TW4 configuration. TW4 was another topic of its own, but its essentially an E1e/E1L/E1 single-cell body with a KL4 as opposed to a E2e/E2L/E2O/L4/E2D 2-cell body

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does the 170 lumen L4 still use an SSC P4 emitter?
Is the consensus that it is no longer a "wall of light?"

Illum

Flashaholic
So does the 170 lumen L4 still use an SSC P4 emitter?
Is the consensus that it is no longer a "wall of light?"

The SSC emitter creates a more pronounced hotspot, so theres alot less evenness to it
This is 2009, 120 lumens Surefire L4, it is the improved version, I think only the LED and circuit changed; besides, it looks exactly same as the previous version.

L4120-4.jpg
L4120-1.jpg

This New L4 has a SSC emitter installed, and there is a "B" printed on the head ahead the serial number.

Lux reading: 3750 lux

Beamshots: Old (100 lum) vs. New (120 lum)

5m: left, 100 lum L4; right, 120 lum L4
L45m.jpg
L4120-5m.jpg

10m: left, 100 lum L4; right, 120 lum L4
L410m.jpg
L4120-10m.jpg

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SSC emitter creates a more pronounced hotspot, so theres alot less evenness to it

So the current, 170 lumen version, should have basically the same beam profile as the 120 lumen version, just a little brighter?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did TW stand for Tactical Workshop or Tactical Warehouse? I think they were sold online at one point.
Tactical Warehouse was the source for the TW4 which could work on a single 123 or two of them.TW was testing/checking each unit for compatibility before shipping them out.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...so is it not really worth it to buy a LuxV version then? my excitement/urge has kinda died down because you guys are saying they were huge battery drainers...

If you can get one for $100 why not? It puts out a decent amount of light for 60+ minutes in regulation. And it is a compact package, not a Frankenstein head SF likes to produce these days. A good upgrade would be the Malkoff E2 or KX2 head. The KX2 heads are being had for a song these days on the Marketplace. The Malkoff E2 really is a wall of light.

marsattack

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks
I am wondering what these flashlights are worth.
one in mint condition hardly used?
thanks

scout24

Flashaholic
marsattack- The best way to find an answer to your question is to use the search feature and look to recently completed sales. Thanks!

easilyled

Flashaholic
@ marsattack:-
If you're looking to buy one from me, it's worth $1000.
If you're looking to sell one to me, it's worth $10.

Latest posts