XENO V3 users

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
This is my first post.
And I'm totally new to all this.
I've been looking through the forums, youtube and manufacturers and retailers websites.

I'm awaiting a smaller torch which I'll be attaching to my car key fob (an Olights i3EOS)
I'm looking to get an additional new flashlight. (Mr Tyler wants to buy me a more substantial torch for my Birthday :))
This is for general purpose use. Mainly for finding house door numbers on dark nights (From the side of the road, while I'm still inside my car). Plus illuminating pathways, car parking areas, anywhere I'm out when it's dark.
I'm currently using a 15+ year old Maglight 3D. I see lighting tech has moved on a lot!
The XENO V3 looks good for my needs.
What are people opinion of this torch?

Also there are six different versions I can see, from ebay listings:
XENO V3 Cree XM-L T4 WW Warm white
XENO V3 Cree XM-L T6 NW Neutral white
XENO V3 Cree XM-L U2 CW Cool white

XENO V3 Cree XP-E Q3 Warm white
XENO V3 Cree XP-G R5 NW Neutral white
XENO V3 Cree XP-G R5 CW Cool white
which leaves me a little confused.

What I'm interested in is anecdotal comments from users
to help me decide.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tickled

Newly Enlightened
What are people opinion of this torch? Also there are different versions I can see, from ebay listings: XENO V3 Cree XM-L T4 WW Warm white XENO V3 Cree XM-L T6 NW Neutral white XENO V3 Cree XM-L U2 CW Cool white XENO V3 Cree XP-E Q3 Warm white XENO V3 Cree XP-G R5 NW Neutral white XENO V3 Cree XP-G R5 CW Cool white which leaves me a little confused.
Warm white = very yellow beam like the incandescent lamps of old
Neutral white = slightly yellow, creamy white beam
Cool white = standard white that looks slightly blue

XM-L vs XP-G are different LEDs. All things equal, the former will have a floodier beam while the former will have less flood and more throw (beam goes further). I have the older version of the XM-L in neutral white which I like but I am not sure if it would be suitable for reading house numbers from a distance.

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Additionally, I see a huge difference between quoted output for different versions:

On the listings the CREE XM-L put out a lot more light than the XENO V3 Cree XP-G R5. Though there is no difference in run times despite this.

XENO Tiger E03 v3 Cree XM-L T4 Warm WW
Ni-MH battery:
Low (150mA/45lms/4hrs), Ultra Low (20mA/20lms/20hrs), High (350mA/120lms/1hr)
Li-ion battery
Low (1A/200lms/45mins), Ultra Low (300mA/80lms/2.5hrs), High (1500mA/350lms/20mins)

XENO Tiger E03 v3 Cree XM-L T6 NW Neutral White
Max (OTF) 430 Lumens
Ni-MH battery:
Low (150mA/45lms/4hrs), Ultra Low (20mA/20lms/20hrs), High (350mA/120lms/1hr)
Li-ion battery
Low (1A/280lms/45mins), Ultra Low (300mA/80lms/2.5hrs), High (1500mA/430lms/20mins)

XENO Tiger E03 v3 Cree XM-L U2 CW Cool White
Max (OTF) 460 Lumens
Ni-MH battery:
Low (150mA/55lms/4hrs), Ultra Low (20mA/25lms/20hrs), High (350mA/130lms/1hr)
Li-ion battery
Low (1A/300lms/45mins), Ultra Low (300mA/90lms/2.5hrs), High (1500mA/460lms/20mins)

XENO Tiger E03 v3 Cree XP-G R5 NW Neutral White,
Max (OTF) 220 Lumens
Li-ion battery
Low (1A/120lms/45mins), Ultra Low (300mA/50lms/2.5hrs), High (1500mA/220lms/20mins)

XENO Tiger E03 v3 Cree XP-G R5 CW Cool White,
Max (OTF) 220 Lumens
Li-ion battery
Low (1A/120lms/45mins), Ultra Low (300mA/50lms/2.5hrs), High (1500mA/220lms/20mins)

What are the pros and cons of the XPG R5 vs the Cree XM-L
options?
I understand from Selfbuilt's review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-G-R5-Neutral-White-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS
that the Cree XM-L emitters are new versions.
Are these versions the ones to go for?
Thanks.

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Warm white = very yellow beam like the incandescent lamps of old
Neutral white = slightly yellow, creamy white beam
Cool white = standard white that looks slightly blue

XM-L vs XP-G are different LEDs. All things equal, the former will have a floodier beam while the former will have less flood and more throw (beam goes further). I have the older version of the XM-L in neutral white which I like but I am not sure if it would be suitable for reading house numbers from a distance.
The house number reading at a distance is hugely important for me.
Looking at the spec of one of the XENO V3 XM-L's it says
460lms. I understand to a small degree about flood / throw. I was figuring that this sort of output would show everything from the side of a road to the frontage of a house.
(accepted that the variable being if their house front is on the road or in it's own grounds and half a mile to the road!) I don't visit many Stately homes (well none actually! :grin2:)
Most of the time it's 5 to 25 meters.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the listings the CREE XM-L put out a lot more light than the XENO V3 Cree XP-G R5. Though there is no difference in run times despite this.

You are quoting the numbers using Lithium ion batteries. If you are going to be using Li-ions, then I'd get the XM-L version otherwise if you need distance to your beam, the XP-G is better. That said, this isn't the light for distance.

Vesper

Enlightened
That said, this isn't the light for distance.

Just last night I was recommending the Xeno v3 for a different purpose, but in your case, you will need something with a tighter beam. The floody goodness of the Xeno isn't good for outside distance. Something like the ShiningBeam Caveman (2xAA) might fit the bill. It is a good lite for the $$.

thedeske

Enlightened
The cool white V3 is the most used light in my shop (10,000sf) at night. I grab it all the time.
This is a tool to me, so nothing tech about it. The AA size fits well with many things I need to do
on a day to day basis. I have a Zebra SC600 that's much brighter, but it's more for outside carry.

When I first purchased, I didn't know about durability. So far it's been fine, but you can trash any
light. I tend to not drop things, so... ;)

A pair of AW cells really helps.
Good Luck

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys.
I love the design shape but I guess it's not the torch I need immediately.
As a result of your comments I've been looking round some more
and for the last few days looking a lot at the EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky.
I want the Neutral White and appreciate these give less throw (~7-10% less?)
but with better colouring to the illuminated area.
with theCREE XP-G R4 LED, as this give a lot more throw than the
CREE XM-L T6 LED.

New thread time. :grin2:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, are you a female lady? :grin2:
Welcome on CPF then.

The D25LC2 XML has no throw, see also youtube. The D25LC2 with XP-G2 will be out soon and it might it your bill: its small reflector gives you enough flood and the small LED size will provide a concentrated hotspot. The light weighs 100g total incl. battery (18650).

The Xeno E03 with XP-G and Li-Ion Battery should give you some throw and since it's an outdated model (the XP-G model was followed by XM-L T6 CoolWhite and now by XM-L U2 CoolWhite!) it can be had for mucho less money (ebay Make An Offer).

In a toss between D25LC2 XP-G2 and Xeno E03 XP-G R5 the clear winner would be ..etc..

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.
Yep, a married one. :)

I rejected the D25LC2 XML for the floody but 'much lesser throw' impression
which I'd got from youtube vids.

I was about to post this in a new thread:
Eagletac_d25lc2clicky (CREE XP-G R4 LED)
I am in the UK.
I want to buy the above model specifically with a neutral white LED.
I am looking for throw and I understand that
the CREE XP-G R4 LED is a better option for me than
the CREE XM-L T6 LED

The two UK dealers seem to only carry the CREE XM-L T6 LED version.
This also seems to be the case when I look at various retailers on-line,
both in the UK & the USA.

Can anyone offer me some advice?
Thanks
The D25LC2 with XP-G2 will be out soon and it might it your bill
I guess your comment neatly answers this. Thanks.

Also it explains this note:
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/396382.html EagleTac D25LC2 CLICKY - XP-G2 R5 / XP-G R4 $56.99

So I'll wait till the D25LC2 with XP-G2 is out.
Fingers crossed it's soon as Mr Tyler is going to get the one I choose
as a Birthday pressie for me. :)
(He's hoping I'll then stop wittering on & on about flashlights)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the welcome.
Yep, a married one. :)

I rejected the D25LC2 XML for the floody but 'much lesser throw' impression
which I'd got from youtube vids.

I was about to post this in a new thread:
Eagletac_d25lc2clicky (CREE XP-G R4 LED)
I am in the UK.
I want to buy the above model specifically with a neutral white LED.
I am looking for throw and I understand that
the CREE XP-G R4 LED is a better option for me than
the CREE XM-L T6 LED

The two UK dealers seem to only carry the CREE XM-L T6 LED version.
This also seems to be the case when I look at various retailers on-line,
both in the UK & the USA.

Can anyone offer me some advice?
Thanks

I guess your comment neatly answers this. Thanks.

Also it explains this note:
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/396382.html EagleTac D25LC2 CLICKY - XP-G2 R5 / XP-G R4 $56.99

So I'll wait till the D25LC2 with XP-G2 is out.
Fingers crossed it's soon as Mr Tyler is going to get the one I choose
as a Birthday pressie for me. :)
(He's hoping I'll then stop wittering on & on about flashlights)

Hello married lady :)

FYI, the Eagletac "NW" is called Neutral White but in reality has a very warmish color. It's about the color you see when the late afternoon sun sets and covers all objects with a orange-yellow-red-ish shade. There is absolutely nothing "neutral", so to speak, to it! It is very much comparable to conventional lighting, incandescent lights (like the old Maglites or wax candles). Every manufacturer has its own conception of "NW" and a 4Sevens Quark WarmWhite or a Xeno E03 WarmWhite are much more comparable to what Eagletac designates as "NW".

If you know the difference between NW and WW and love WW (sun set orange light), then get the Eagletac "NW" because this is going to be exactly that: sun set orange light.

Otherwise stick to the CW offerings. Their CW's can differ from blueish to greenish tint, and they are certainly all high energy-looking cold lights perfectly suited for outdoor application. Same with automobile manufacturers. Modern cars have only cold light coming out of their head lights. If you need throw in the dark outdoors, then CW is the best choice. You will not see new cars will NW or WW head lights. NW and WW LED's are suitable for indoor applications where one would prefer a cozy atmosphere (sun set!! candle light!!) or need High CRI (color rendering index) more than actual brightness.

All Eagletac are beautiful modern lights, but for your purposes i will no recommend XML (T5, T6, U2, whatever) or NeutralWhite LEDs. IlluminationGear will have the XP-G2's (they are CoolWhites with very good throw!) anytime soon. If you're in the UK ( i thought that you were an American lady? ), there are great EU suppliers.

But first of all, let's wait for the XP-G2's to be in stock with the dealers. This is certainly independent from your Birthday sorry :D

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Yep, Flashaholics.co.uk {one of the two UK distributors}
have confirmed the Eagletac-d25lc2-clicky XP-G2 R5 / XP-G R4 versions
are out in a week and will be in the UK in two weeks time.
Updates on their site when here.

Tyler___Durden

Newly Enlightened
Oh and thanks for the advice on CW vs. NW in EagleTacs.
I guess it's the CW version I'll get then.

I'll prob stick to the UK dealer so as to avoid the risk of UK customs slapping on import duty
plus the post office have an additional flat fee of £7 on top of that!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll prob stick to the UK dealer so as to avoid the risk of UK customs slapping on import duty
plus the post office have an additional flat fee of £7 on top of that!

I dont know anything about the customs regulation in your country. Of course, local dealers had to pay for import duties and that's one of the reasons why their prices are higher than US-pricing, i get that :)
Luckily, either way the D25LC2 Clicky is priced moderately, compared to 1x18650 lights by Foursevens, Fenix or Olight.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not trace mineral deficient, then you should find cool-white highly objectionable to use at night, outdoors.
Neutral-white if, for the most part 3500-5000K CCT. 3500-4000K is the very 'creamy' end. 4500-5000K is the very stark side.
Automobile HID headlights are 4200-4300K.
I didn't see how you were planning on powering this light? Aren't cr123A cells expensive in the UK?
The Eagletac P100C2 is driven fairly hard for such a small light, so if you need something to run sustained in maximum, that isn't it.