AC Repair Guy

PackersNation

Newly Enlightened
As the title stated, the AC needed fixing. I noticed the tech had a solitare on his belt and I thought of my modest collection. I badly wanted to pull out my D25LC2 even on low and smoke the solitare, but I was hesitant. Next time I will take advantage of the opportunity to bring him into our crazy world.

Any comments and/or similar situations?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind what their service rate is and consider if tying him up at $60 or $75 an hour is in your best interests

ericjohn

Enlightened
I am an HVAC Tech by trade but I am currently not in practice. When I was working in that field, I carried several flashlights: 2 AAA Mini Maglites, and a Pewter 2D Maglite. I also used a Pelican Super Sabre Lite (Xenon) when crawling under houses. I had a 2AAA Mity Lite (diver's version) but it was stolen from me, though I could never prove it. I wouldn't have wanted one that used any specialty batteries, because I went through many batteries quite often. If a customer would have shown me one of those fancy hi-tech flashlights, I wouldn't have been offended or ashamed. Rather, I would have said "Nice light! Where can I get one of those?" Then I would have shot the bull with him/her for a little while when the job was complete.

Erik1213

Enlightened
I had to have some (beyond my capability at the time) repairs performed on my AC system two weeks ago. While it was daylight outside, the issue was in the air handler in the crawl space under the house. I pulled out the Zebralight SC600w and lit the way, also held the light while he did the repair. I did get a "Man, that is bright" but nothing more. Oh well, I'm not going to push it on someone. He had a Streamlight headlight and small Stylus pro, which I have no issue with because that's what I used to keep too. Before I found out about the availability of neutral white LEDs, that is.

majorwoo

Newly Enlightened
I had to loan the last AC tech in my house my EDC, he couldn't read the serials with his little thing. :)

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I'm a appliance repair tech with 25 years of experience.
I have one of the 2x AA maglites that come out before the maglite pro.

I keep it in my tool box and it's funny how many comments I get from customers about how bright it is.
A lot of them ask me what kind of flashlight I have and I tell them it's just a maglite.

Sometimes after I tell them that they say, my maglite is not that bright.
Then I tell them it's one of the newer LED maglites.

I wonder how many of them take another look at the maglites the next time they are in walmart, lol...

This also reminded me of the 6 maglite we gave away last year.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=7935.0

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
I had to have some (beyond my capability at the time) repairs performed on my AC system two weeks ago. While it was daylight outside, the issue was in the air handler in the crawl space under the house. I pulled out the Zebralight SC600w and lit the way, also held the light while he did the repair. I did get a "Man, that is bright" but nothing more. Oh well, I'm not going to push it on someone. He had a Streamlight headlight and small Stylus pro, which I have no issue with because that's what I used to keep too. Before I found out about the availability of neutral white LEDs, that is.

Been there done that lol. I usually had a pewter 2D Maglite incandescent or a Pelican Super Sabre incandescent. What was wrong with the air handler?

ericjohn

Enlightened
Speaking of technicians that come to your house:

Earlier this year, my parents upgraded their cable to digital and also had their home phone service also put through the cable. At last they finally upgraded. Anyways, they wanted me to come over just in case the technician needed assistance. He didn't even carry a light on him. Now even though the attic is well lit, detailed work still needs that extra lumens of light. I lent my Pelican Mity Lite 1960 (LED version) to him. When he came down from the attic and was walking through the foyer, he set my light face down on the drawer stand. I knew that doing that could over heat the light engine, but he probably didn't realize. Now there already was tension between me and him and this made it worse. Fortunately, I kept my cool and the light survived. I know that it was only $2x.xx, but right now that's all I can afford.