How to prevent unintentional activation - Crelant 7G5 v2

SamF

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all,

New to posting here. Recently purchased the Crelant 7G5 v2 for use on our boat. Intended to throw the light in a bag that will go with us each trip. However, in my reading the reviews of the light here it did not register (Doh!) that the tailcap threads are not anodized and therefore I cannot just unscrew the tailcap for a lockout of the forward clicky. My bad.

So now I am searching for a solution that does not require me to pull the batteries totally, or purchase another light. :grin2:

Any suggestions? Clicky cover? I was thinking of trying to find a piece of hose the right diameter to slip over the tailcap. Anybody got a more elegant solution?

Thanks!

Sam

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
For lights with clickies on the side one may find a piece of thick walled rubber water hose or something similar. Cut a piece a couple inches long and slice a chunk out of it so that when you look at it end on it looks like a 'C'. If it's the right size it may be snapped in place right over the switch. If the switch protrudes a bit from the body no sweat, just make a hole in the hose the same size as the button so it can't be accidentally pressed and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

SamF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Sub_Umbra. What I am concerned about is the tail clicky - which is not recessed at all. Guess a trip to the local hardware store with light in hand is coming up for me.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sub_Umbra. What I am concerned about is the tail clicky - which is not recessed at all. Guess a trip to the local hardware store with light in hand is coming up for me.
In some ways the tail clicky is easier to secure.

I have one light that lives in a toolbox with a bunch of heavy tools. I found a black rubber cane tip that snugly fits over the tail. Then I found that a rubber washer from an ordinary garden hose would slip inside the cane tip and provide a protective recess for the switch so it could not be accidentally activated no matter how it was bumped.

I also found a slightly different sized chair leg tip (in black) that fit the bezel. I drilled a 1/16" hole in it so I could easily make sure that the 'capped up' light was off before I finally returned it to the toolbox. This tiny hole in no way prevents the cap from totally protecting the window.

This approach has worked very well for ~5 years. The parts of the light not protected by the caps have been pretty beat up by the other tools in the box but it cannot be inadvertently turned on with the cap in place and even though the light's storage environment is far from ideal, the cap at the bezel means that the UCL I installed when I bought the light years ago is still in pristine condition whenever I need it, despite the rough treatment.

So, find a rubber/neoprene cap for the tail and then fit it with a washer or neoprene gasket material thick enough that with a hole punched through it for the switch it may not be activated. I have also successfully used steel washers to prevent accidental activation of push button switches.

Last edited:

SamF

Newly Enlightened
You, sir, (assuming you to be a sir) are a genius! Just the info I needed! Off to the hardware store...