De-Doming LEDs for TIR Optics or Reflectors

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
Is there any advantage to de-doming an LED like a XP-E or Rebel then placing the LED in a TIR optic or Reflector?

I know of a few LEDs that don't have the dome (Luxeon C, Luxeon Z, most array LEDs), but I have never really played with them before. I've heard of the best application for a de-domed high powered LED is to couple it to a fiber optic but was wondering if there is an advantage to simple reflectors and TIRs.

Thanks.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
de-doming an led makes the most sense when coupled with a reflector since de-domed ones emit more light sideways, which is what the reflector collects to make the beam. I don't think anyone has tried it with TIRs yet. I don't think it would make much sense though.

De-doming Cree leds is very difficult, only saabkuster has managed to do it successfully multiple times (see his modified lights at the onestopthrowshop).

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIRs use the "sideways light" just as much as reflectors. No matter what, a smaller source will give you more control over the emitted light, i.e. you will be able to lower the divergence more than for a larger source.

Keep in mind, though, that when you remove the dome, it decreases light extraction efficiency. How much depends on the LED and dedoming process and final geometry of the modded dome.

If you've got a lot of LEDs to play with and don't mind trashing a few, go for it? My expectation is that with both reflector and TIR you will have a smaller hotspot, assuming you get the LED source in the "sweet spot" of the respective optic.