LD10 intermittent fault - sometimes fails to turn on.

user24

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

Been carrying my LD10 since Nov 2011 and it's been a great light, but in the last week I've noticed that it sometimes fails to turn on. The clicky clicks, but no light shines. A couple of attempts and it's fine again. Most of the time it's fine. Never had any problems with it before. I cleaned the contacts but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

I have it set to low mode by default (not turbo). Haven't used it very hard. Been using an Energizer Lithium since I got it. Battery died for the first time a month ago (shows how little it's actually been used) and has been replaced with another one.

I'll try a different battery in it in case that's the problem.

As it's still under the 24 months warranty I might try to get it repaired if it still plays up.

Just wanted to share my experience and ask if anyone else seen this problem?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess too, had the same problem with one of my PD31: tightened the retaining ring in the tailcap and the problem disappered.
You can use needlenose pliers or even the scissors on any Victorinox knife will do the job.

user24

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Um, the retaining what now? Nothing seems loose in the tailcap but I'll be happy if that is what it is. :thinking: I just don't want to go poking about with things I don't understand.

How do I tighten it?

Would mineral oil (aka liquid paraffin) be OK for cleaning the o rings and threads?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The retaining ring wouldn't show as being loose when you look inside the tailcap or if it did your light wouldn't probably come on at all.

If you look inside the tailcap, you'll see two round indentations on each side of the spring - check pics of the tailcap in this LD10/LD20 review
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...iews-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-COMPARISONS-and-more!
You can also google any picture of the tailcap of any Fenix if these pics are not clear for you.
All you need to do is taka a pair of needlenose pliers and stick the needlenose into the two little round indentation, then turn it clockwise till tight.

Not sure if mineral oil would do for cleaning and lubricating but there is a extensive lube thread here on CPF, if you go through it you'll find plenty of issue.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Look at Fenix website:
http://www.fenixlight.com/rcwh.asp

Download "maintenance for lights of three parts-2".
At about 1.18 min they remove the retaining ring and clean and then put it back again.
That ring can come loose and give a bad connection, not only Fenix lights.

Edit:
For cleaning I use alcohol and then put on a small amount of silicon grease.
As Labrador said, there is a long thread about grease and lube. It's a sticky
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?126645-Comprehensive-Grease-and-Lube-Thread

Last edited:

user24

Newly Enlightened
Thankyou both! That's perfect, it was really loose! Haha. Cool. I found that the scissors on the victorinox classic worked perfectly.

Sincere thanks to everyone again. I'll update the thread if the problem still occurs, but it sounds like that was the cause.