What flashlights I purchased and WHY! --- No-more-AlkiLeakers

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
A few weeks ago I had what I call an EPIC FAIL on my part and the part of my lights at the time.. (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-lost-my-last-flashlight-to-leaking-D-Cells!):mad: With the help of many folks on the forums and the vendors in the marketplace my family and I are in a lot better shape with lighting. I thought it would be interesting to others to see what I did and the use cases for the lights I now have. As always we sometimes go a bit overboard but I feel better for it.

The Lights

My Fenix LD22 is sitting in the kitchen drawer at the ready!

I have a Fenix LD12 as my pocket EDC light or it swaps out next to the bed with the T1A titan (The SureFire is an extravagance, but it feels nice in the hand along with being a good around the house light and the super low startup is perfect for the bedside) . Both make nice EDC lights although the T1A is smaller for dress pants!

I do a lot of volunteer work and some Search and Rescue, so now have two lights in my car for that purpose. First is the Klarus RS11, which puts out a lot of light and throws pretty well. Second (just because) is an old logo 7Sevens Quark AA2 Turbo which also seems to reach out there nicely.

I purchased a Preon P0 for my keychain and bought a nice 5 pack of ThruNite Ti lights to pass out, wife, in-laws, etc.. My wife now has my Surfire G2 (incan) in her car with spare CR123a's; for now that is perfect.

I built up four "light rings" using Maratac AA an AAA lights for SHTF / Bug Out. You can see the setup here: (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...my-quot-Bug-Out-quot-kit-with-new-flashlights). One set for day bags and one set each for in the cars as backup. the Maratacs are great for low light tail standing operations. All fitted out with Li Primaries for long shelf life.

The Batteries

I have moved completely on to eneloop batteries for AA an AAA around the house with a C9000 charger. For the 81650's I have a Pila charger...... I would say it might be a mistake to use lights with CR123a primaries as they are a bit expensive for a light you use a lot. I have AA and AAA Li Primaries for the four SHTF light setups. For the lights I have given to people they are loaded with Li Primaries!

As I use the lights I can see where people are very inclined to have AA as their only battery type. I am committed to AAA, AAA, CR123A, and 18650. This may be a bit more complex than I had intended.

The Future

I think that eventually I might change light in the G2 and put in a Malakoff LL drop in. We will watch battery consumption to see if it is worth the investment. I am considering another light for the car and bring the Quark into the house or in the Bug Out Bag! I would put some sort of 16850 thrower in the car modded up TN31 is a a prime candidate. But I will have to buy more batteries;).

RJF

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy cr123A in bulk online. You can get 100 shipped for $100-150 (depending on quality)
Blows the Energizer L91 & EA91 value out of the water. Even the TI crAA 14505 does that.

kennyb

Newly Enlightened
i carry a fenix pd20. great light, small and lite weight. i like the 123 battery. yep, buy in bulk is the way to go..

GrandpaStyx

Newly Enlightened
The reason I bought a new flashlight is that I lost it or someone decided that they needed my Ledlenser P5 more than I did while I was in hospital having a hernia operation!
Luckily I found this forum and I have and continue to learn so much about flashlights and brands that I didn't even know existed. I have replaced my P5 with a Sunwayman V10R Ti+ I'm amazed by how much better quality this is I love the Titanium finish the magnetic control ring, the beam pattern, and the light output of such a small and abbsaloutly buitifull torch

Quiksilver

Enlightened
IMO you should diversify your ability to use different kinds of batteries to fuel your lighting requirements.

Do you have a:

1x9V light?
1xCR123 light?
1xAA light?
1xAAA light?
1xCR2 light?
C cell light?
D cell light?
A27?
A17?
button cell?
6V?