New Rayovac LED drop ins/ lights at Walmart

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Today I was in Walmart and I saw something that was interesting.... actually several somethings:
1)Rayovac 1D LED light (dropin) for $2.50
2)Rayovac 2AA LED light (dropin) for $1.50 (I bought one)
3)Rayovac 2 cell 30 lumen dropin module/bulb for $3.88
4)Rayovac 3/4 cell 40 lumen dropin module/bulb for $3.88
All the dropins look like they could be made by Dorcy for Rayovac but I am not for sure.

The 2AA plastic (multiple colors available, I got red but there was a blue one) says on the upper left corner of the package in yellow "NOW LED". It also says 12 lumens (Ansi). I just verified it does have a PR base normal dropin. The beam is nothing worth mentioning... sort of ringy and blotchy colored the optic on the lens makes for a round type beam. I tried it in a light I have the energizer 1D dropin in that is running off 2 LSD hybrids and the Energizer dropin was a lot nicer looking but I have learned some lights have differing focusing to them.
I am wondering if the dropin in the 2AA is the same one for $3.88 or not (2 cell version).
For $1.50 I would say it is a better light than an incan. Current draw off the supplied heavy duty batteries is about 67ma approx. It also will light up pretty decent off one battery but I didn't check the current draw.

Last edited:

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
I saw those leds at WalMart too, and bought a 40 lumen model for an old plastic 6v lantern I've had for 20 years. In the lantern, the blue light produced was ever so slightly brighter than the incan Norelco PR13 that was in the lamp before. With the plain plastic reflector, I now have a small spot and almost no surrounding spill. Much brighter, though, and heat probably would melt the reflector. A good investment for $4, but in this light, a longer life is about all the improvement I can see.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw those leds at WalMart too, and bought a 40 lumen model for an old plastic 6v lantern I've had for 20 years. In the lantern, the blue light produced was ever so slightly brighter than the incan Norelco PR13 that was in the lamp before. With the plain plastic reflector, I now have a small spot and almost no surrounding spill. Much brighter, though, and heat probably would melt the reflector. A good investment for $4, but in this light, a longer life is about all the improvement I can see.
I found the dropin I got from the 2AA light works well in my 2C mag type clone light as it can focus it properly.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
After playing with the light for a few days I have the following observations:
1)The beam is really ugly on the light I have but is usefully bright, the light has a dark halo around the beam but has spill around the halo I am guessing this is caused by the optic on the lens.
2)It can tailstand well if you don't put a lanyard in the bottom hole which makes it good for an area light in an outage.
3)The switch is pretty stiff so chances of it coming on in a bag is next to nothing if all the lights are this way.
4)The front lens and reflector I think is glued in there which is good in one way it helps keep water out. I am guessing the light could be find dropped in a puddle or even dunked for a short time as the water has to get through either where the slide switch is or the seal around the head then get in the bulb itself which should resist water somewhat.
5)The front of the light is such that if you leave it on lens end down you can see it glowing the color of the light which should help you not accidentally leave it on.
6)It has an anti roll lip on the bottom edge so you can set it down switch up on a flat surface.
7)I recommend this light because of the price first and foremost, $1.50 for 20 hours of runtime using 2AA batteries (included) and can run off 1 battery which means 2 batteries should be drained to next to nothing before it can't put out useful light. It would be great for a emergency kit you could get several colors of them that way if you have kids they will know whose light is whose (less fighting).
I am somewhat amazed they could sell this light so cheap compared to the cost for a 1AAA rayovac at almost twice the price. I think I am going to buy a few more of them and put them in my toolboxes as is with the heavy duty batteries if they leak I can scavenge the 2cell LED PR base dropin for another 2 cell incan light no longer in service.

Last edited:

exSun

Newly Enlightened
I bought the "for 3-cell, 4-cell flashlights and 6V lanterns" 4V6VLED-1T model at Walmart for $3.88. It is spec'ed at 6V, 0.13A and 0.8W, 40 lumens. My first question was if it was polarized. I used a multimeter on the diode scale, and verified it is polarity independent. It probably does not have a diode ring in it due to voltage drop, but it may have the equivalent with MOS transistors and biasing. It tested OK with a 4D Maglight (center positive) as well as its intended 6V lantern (center negative).

It is a little dimmer than the lantern bulb it replaced, but gives a blue-white even bright spot with a dim halo. The incandescent bulb was not as evenly illuminated in its bright spot. The LED is pulling about 1/6 the current of the incandescent bulb, so the battery should last 6 times longer - maybe more depending on its current regulation.

All in all, its a good and cheap upgrade for a 20 year old 6V lantern.

Last edited: