How do you build your collection?

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
I need a new light, but choosing one depends on many things for me. So... How do you decide when buying new lights, batteries, charges, etc.

I'm trying to build out a collection that works well as a group and fits all my needs from overlapping chargers to batteries to lights that fit all my random needs. Custom lights, production lights, big lights and tiny lights. :)

Currently I have two custom Lummi's that use 10180's and 14250's and charge off a nano-charger. Since those are such a custom battery I've just got a few spares of each battery and rotate through them. So they are sort of a closed set but they are great for pocket carry which is one type of light I need. I also have a 4Sevens Quark 123^2 Tactical (but it doesn't take RCR's nor does it accept 18650's...) but it does last forever on good shelf life CR123's. It's great for camping and daily work/use and I don't mind if it gets banged up a bit but the batteries it can accept was a short sight on my part.

I'd like to grow my collection and use most if not all rechargeable Li-Ions. I like custom lights but production lights like the 4Seven's are great for functionality and price. I've thought about getting a Single RCR123 light like the Jetbeam RRT01 and building out some more lights that use RCR123's. I've also thought of getting something that's a single 18650 like the Fenix TK22 that can also take RCR123's. I also figure with 18650's in my arsenal I could get a bigger light like the Fenix TK45 which looks sweet. Then again I could probably use an HDS Rotary or a McGizmo anything...

I need a Cottonpicker solar panel charger too and an 18650 wall charger since I think that's probably the battery direction I'll go, but I don't have a light yet for that battery.

Anyway, it's a pretty open ended question. Just looking for some flashlight discussion on what you've recently got and why, what you want to get, what chargers you have and how you pick now lights to fit into your collection or what battery types you have and why. I just can't decide if I want another custom light or another production light or two. I also can't decide on battery type, but it all fits together. Thanks!

awyeah

Enlightened
One thing I've done is I've tried to standardize on batteries, which it looks like you're doing. Saves hassle and money. All of my lights use either NiMH AAs, AAAs, or a single CR123A. I've stayed away from multi-CR123A and lithium ion setups due to safety concerns - I'm a big baby about that stuff :)

The advantage of sticking to these batteries means that I've invested in a boatload of Eneloops (and boxes of CR123As), and in a pinch, I can pick up a suitable battery from any gas station, drug store, etc.

Anyway, I generally prefer smaller lights that give me a big bang for my buck. For example, my recently-acquired Foursevens Mini-ML Gen2. 216 lumens in a small keychain configuration. However, I also like 2xAA lights, I have a Fenix LD20. I also have one big thrower, the Fenix TK41, which uses 8xAA - it's rated at 860 lumens and 480m throw. I also don't like to spend a ton of money on lights - but I stay away from low-quality lights as well. So far, quality-wise, I trust SureFire, Fenix, Foursevens, and Olight/iTP. I'll probably be ordering a Nitecore soon as well.

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
I like the setup awyeah. There are definite advantages to sticking with common AA and AAA batteries. The Eneloops have definite advantages as well for storage and reusability making for a bomber combo. I'd like to include that as one facet of my overall collection. That would sort of fit my zombie apocalypse category. Something where in a pinch I could probably rummage through a drawer and find a couple more batteries that would work and would keep the light going a few more days...

Right now I've only filled out a few categories. I use my custom micro lights around the house at night and carry one on occasion when I go out for mainly bling ;) My bigger 4Sevens is my all around light when I need something for outside the house or as a car camping backup.

I think I'll get either a single RCR123 light or a single 18650 light, both production grade. Then depending on the light I could use a single 18650 or two RCR123's or even some CR123's that I already have stocked. I probably need a single RCR123 light though as well :) Go for something bigger than my micro's and take the step to another hand held that's running off 18650's. Maybe I could even find something that ran off AA, 18650 and two CR123's... Now that would be a big bang combo.

awyeah

Enlightened
The biggest problem with the AA/AAA lights is that while the batteries are safer and more common, you'll get less runtime and brightness out of them. That's one of the reasons I keep some 1xCR123A lights and a box of batteries on hand - CR123A lithium primaries have a shelf life of 10 years. Again, I'm just a sissy about batteries. Too many horror stories - check out the smoke and fire subform under the flashlight electronics forum.

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
Yup. I've got my 4Sevens Tactical and a box of CR123A's in my go to bin. I think I definitely need a single CR123 light. I wish more of the 4Seven's lights were RCR123 compatible.

As for the Li-Ion's, I'm not really one to shy away and enjoy the high power and long runtime benefit from them. I have a hobby Charger (Accucel-6) that I used for all the Li-Ion RC batteries I've got and will sometimes even use that to charge the 10180's and 14250's I run. They take more work, but for the size and power you get it's worth it. I'd like to get a single solar charger as well so I can charge and cycle batteries even when land power isn't available.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Accucel-6 is a great choice as it has the flexibility to charge most anything you can put into a flashlight, so batteries shouldn't be much of a limitation in building a collection of lights you like. To build up more of an arsenal of lights (I like your characterization), consider modular lights that allow you to switch heads and batteries and bodies as might be needed or desired, and at nominal cost. An example are Peak lights like the Peak Logan that has heads with different LED's and optics, and permits use of various bodies made of SS or HAIII or Brass, sized for the (R)CR123-A or 2xAA, and even a 17500 body with adapters that let you use any and all of these batteries: 17500 14500/AA 10440/AAA and (R)CR-123-A. I started out on this course with a Peak Matterhorn (upgraded to the Peak Eiger and Eiger UltraX) that switch out onto 10180, 10280, 10440, and 2XAAA penlight bodies.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started with attractive lights I thought would do everything. Most lights do some things better than others. So then I began to analyze the use that each light would get and buy from that. Then I started building powerful incandescent lights. Very bright, but not good to hold in your teeth under the car! I've ended up with a variety of lights that suit me just fine. When I see something that looks useful, I read about it and then decide. I have chargers that will handle most any rechargeable battery, so that's not an issue unless the lights go out. Then I get to play with my long-running lights. It's good to have a few lights of each kind. I keep a supply of primaries for just such occasions.

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
The Accucel-6 is a great choice as it has the flexibility to charge most anything you can put into a flashlight, so batteries shouldn't be much of a limitation in building a collection of lights you like.

Definitely a good charger for the price. I use it mainly on my 2S and 3S RC Lipo's since it can balance cells. The charger even has leads you can run to a 12v deep cycle battery which could really be hand when you don't have shore power. I'll use alligator clips with magnetic balls for most of my tiny cells, but having some sort of holder would be good. I'd like to get a solar setup with a multi-select USB charger though to really round out the charge-ability of my batteries.

To build up more of an arsenal of lights (I like your characterization), consider modular lights that allow you to switch heads and batteries and bodies as might be needed or desired, and at nominal cost. An example are Peak lights like the Peak Logan that has heads with different LED's and optics, and permits use of various bodies made of SS or HAIII or Brass, sized for the (R)CR123-A or 2xAA, and even a 17500 body with adapters that let you use any and all of these batteries: 17500 14500/AA 10440/AAA and (R)CR-123-A. I started out on this course with a Peak Matterhorn (upgraded to the Peak Eiger and Eiger UltraX) that switch out onto 10180, 10280, 10440, and 2XAAA penlight bodies.

Modular lights are a great idea! I'll have to think about how I could make that work. I've only been focused on cross-compatability with batteries. I could see designing a single flashlight that contained a couple heads and a couple bodies. Something I could almost leave in pieces but assemble on the fly choosing the head and body that meet my needs. Maybe get something that runs off a single (R)CR-123-A up to a bigger 18650 for runtime with a low lumen floody head and a high output thrower. Hmmm... It's got the gears turning DWF, thanks for the great idea!

Hotwire - I started collecting in a similar way. I figured all I needed was a good EDC that I could pocket. I got one but quickly realized I needed a few since I don't actually carry a light on my 24/7 and because of that pocketable EDC'ing wasn't key anymore. Instead I usually leave my lights in a drawer and pick out what I need based on the day. Same with knives, lighters, hats, backpacks, shoes... Oh the list goes on. I think for me it just breaks down to a concept and where that falls in order of priority for my collection. I would really like to get a big high powered thrower that takes say 4x18650's. It's on my list for sure, but I don't have tons of use for one of those just yet, but I still need one :) For that big light category I'm trying to decide between the NiteCore TM15 or maybe the Fenix TK75.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Most of what I have is an evolution based upon realization of need.

IE: I start with something and if it would be better if it could do X or not require Y, and then replace it when I find one that X's better w/o Y-ing things up, etc.

If the replacement uses a very common power source (18650 for example), I do tend to then look at other potentially 18650-based solutions down the road.

Sometimes, a model's features/performance are such a great match, that I will go for another power source to take advantage of it if need be.

That has lead to having ~ 5 chargers not counting the CottonPicker.

Some do the same types, as I use so many at a time that one charger might not be able to charge all of one type at a time anyway.

I tend to pick chargers the same way...I look for speed and versatility.

Anyway...I choose lights as tools....so if I need a 5/8" socket...that's what I get. If my ratchet is 3/8" that I might need it for, I look for one with that sized drive, and so forth.

:D

I don't "Collect" lights, as in, there's no "Collection" per se....I just HAVE a lot of lights that I use.

martindb

Newly Enlightened
I never really intended to start a collection. My first proper light was a Led Lenser P7 which was perfectly decent but I just thought was lacking something (don't ask me what) so I bought a Fenix E21 which was OK but this taught me that a serious light costs serious money, so I splashed the cash and got a Fenix TK35. By this point I was hooked on buying lights. I had 3 good lights, good in many different ways but I was still hungry for more. I decided to buy a mid to high end torch from all the respectable torch manufacturers - this is still a work in progress. So back to your original question - I pick a manufacturer that I don't already own a torch from send I enjoy researching every light in their range to hopefully find one with a feature/ function I don't already have.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as my collection goes, I bought a little bit of everything. Oh, who am I kidding, I bought a lot of everything.

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a little bit of everything. Starting with the lights I'd need, then going on to simply those that I want.

Though I don't regret my nearly 2 dozen SureFire lights. There are times I can't stand the company's business practices. But their lights are worth it.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read an awful lot here at CPF and then bit my lip real hard and ordered an HDS understanding that there was going to be an indeterminate waiting period. Then I read a bunch more and got a few lights over the months to hold me over. Zebralight, Malkoff, Pak-Lite, as well as bare HCRI Cree and Nichia leds to play with... The forum here has been invaluable, I've saved a lot of money and miss steps thanks to you all, and have enjoyed the time reading and learning from you all along the way.

Just hitting my stride, looking forward to eventually obtaining at least one McGizmo, a monster from saabluster and an HCRI Armytek along the way.

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as my collection goes, I bought a little bit of everything. Oh, who am I kidding, I bought a lot of everything.

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a little bit of everything. Starting with the lights I'd need, then going on to simply those that I want.

Well said. I did exactly the same. Bought a LOT of everything ranging from cheapie imports to lots of Surefires, Malkoffs, HDS Systems, Zebralights, to customs from Milky, Leef, McGizmos, etc...

I still find myself liking lights that are outside of my usual collecting realm.

You just have to experiment, allow yourself some freedom to get what you want or think you might want. And remember, if you end up not liking what you acquired or can't afford it because you spent too much, someone is always willing to buy it from you on CPFMP.:thumbsup:

Edit: I just remembered another CPF'er's sig line saying something about if he had to do it all over again, he would get a SF C2 with a Malkoff drop-in and call it a day. I can definitely agree with that.:cool:

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Using CR123 platform lights for most uses.

But I also have (durable, quality) lights that can take a whole variety of cells from CR2, to D, to AA, to CR123, to 9V, and more ... I guess thats just a little insurance in case I have a requirement for light but no CR123s around, I can still put light on whatever it is that requires it.

Collection is built on redundancy and reliability.

Various size lights to fit specific requirement-du-jour. I suppose, a light for every kind of task.

I'm in the market for a (durable, reliable) CR123 aspheric thrower. Reason being, I sometimes go kayaking in the evening and it gets dark. Its sometimes on fast-current wide waterways where I have to be able to see far ahead and also the banks of the waterway. An insurmountable challenge for a floody beam.

So yeah, generally a light that fits a task best. Also considered loaner lights, and EDC-centric lights like the Fenix e05 or e01.

--

I pay a premium for durability and reliability, dont give a bleep about aesthetics.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ironically, a strong floody beam works really well for kayaking, rafting, etc...as you can see the swirls and rocks and things all at the same time, allowing you to set your self up to make the best line for it all, etc.

Its not even CLOSE to insurmountable for a floody light to show you what's up ahead...I have floody lights that can also function as dive lights for example (A dunking is not a problem,etc..) as well as throw a wall of light 300 - 600 yards ahead of me.

No 123 powered aspheric will reach THAT far for example, and all it will show you is a teeny spot of light shaped like the LED off in the distance. It would require to you to piece together what's out there like you had to look through a paper towel tube a little at a time, and try to remember where all the pieces are and how to navigate w/o seeing it all at once.

Also, on whitewater, it can be hard to AIM an aspherical beam steady enough to SEE with it...the spot of light is jumping all over as you careen along...careening along trying not to hit stuff/set up for the best lines, AND piece together what's off in the distance.

A TK70 or other good flooder on the bow aimed somewhat ahead of you just makes it like daylight...you don't need to hold/aim it...just turn it on. The RRT-3XML with pressure switch or similar option also allows remote operation...no need to reach over to the light to turn it on/off for example.

Even a smaller flooder like the Klarus XT11 still gets you ~ 150 yards of useful warning as to what lies ahead...and can be remotely controlled as well, etc.

So, not insurmountable, recommended.

:D

Food for thought.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Sorry I just do not believe that.

At night on a wide waterway (500m across), trying to follow deep zig-zag channel with sand flats everywhere at low tide ... I use a SureFire Saint on my head for general 30ft-in-front-of-me illumination to see different water patterns.

But a wide beam (think Malkoff Wildcat) just gets absolutely swallowed in the darkness, at least the darkness in my part of the world. Only lights that I find remotely useful are my Hound Dog and my 6P nailbender xr-e 285 lumen dropin. Even they are limited in range.

Perching a light on the nose is not sufficient either, as many times I am tacking the current as I follow the waterways, so I am not facing forward, but sliding at an angle. Hence headmounted is my option unless I want to remove my hands from the paddle which is not smart in strong tidal current.

Not doing white water, just fast-moving water.

If the DEFT EDC came for primaries I'd have it in a heartbeat. Simply because I can mount it to the top headband on my SureFire Saint, to shine a tight beam so I can look for dangers/landing opportunities along the shoreline without having to get too close.

Its well known that floody lights are not great for seeing in the distance, I don't know how you can claim otherwise, its simple mathematics.

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't know about you guys and your kayaking, but the upgraded XM-L drop-in I got for my Wee Ti Lummi has sick floody-ness. I can avoid the Lego by the sofa on my right while threading through the dropped Cheerio's and still narrowly miss the Fischer Price Xylophone way off to the left as I walk to my 3yr olds room at 2am... ;)

So for collection building if you were to start at the battery, what collection of rechargeable battery power would you choose as your core set, say 3-5 types. I'm not talking an all encompassing list to power everything or the one random battery you would need to power your favorite custom light but just what you think would make a good base for building a collection off of.

Based on what you guys have said my core list would be AA/AAA Eneloops, 18650's and RCR123's.

I like the approach of getting some AA/AAA Eneloops for the common household availability in a rechargeable package. Then to be realistic I'd want some big power lights so I'd also pick up the combo of 18650's and RCR123's allowing me everything from single high powered CR123 lights to big multi-battery throwers using 18650's or even CR123's doubled. That's only 4 different battery styles and with the cross compatibility of using primary cell AA/AAA and CR-123's you could then do the stockpile thing for extended circumstances and still use most if not all the lights you may have collected based on that core set of rechargeable cells.

I'm also thinking that with just one wall charger, Nitecore Intellicharger I4, you'd have a single charger that could handle your entire core collection of rechargheable batteries.

What do you guys think on that one as a way to build out a collection?

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on what you guys have said my core list would be AA/AAA Eneloops, 18650's and RCR123's.

I like the approach of getting some AA/AAA Eneloops for the common household availability in a rechargeable package. Then to be realistic I'd want some big power lights so I'd also pick up the combo of 18650's and RCR123's allowing me everything from single high powered CR123 lights to big multi-battery throwers using 18650's or even CR123's doubled. That's only 4 different battery styles and with the cross compatibility of using primary cell AA/AAA and CR-123's you could then do the stockpile thing for extended circumstances and still use most if not all the lights you may have collected based on that core set of rechargeable cells.

I'm also thinking that with just one wall charger, Nitecore Intellicharger I4, you'd have a single charger that could handle your entire core collection of rechargheable batteries.
This is what I'm trying to do. I have a Preon 2 (AAA) and just ordered a Mini AA and Quark 123-2. I plan to get a few more AA and RCR 123a/18650 lights. I'm also eyeing a 26650 light, and a streamlight stylus pro (AAA) for my wife.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
With a family and a household of misc. electronics, it's nice to always have an abundance of AA & AAA rechargeable batteries. For this reason I've tried to keep my lights in this category. I know you get more power with the 123a/18650 configs but honestly, it helps me keep my obsession in control (or atleast a perceived sense of control :eek: ) to know that I limit myself to certain configurations.

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
With a family and a household of misc. electronics, it's nice to always have an abundance of AA & AAA rechargeable batteries. For this reason I've tried to keep my lights in this category. I know you get more power with the 123a/18650 configs but honestly, it helps me keep my obsession in control (or atleast a perceived sense of control :eek: ) to know that I limit myself to certain configurations.

I don't have your refrain Violatorjf... I've gotta have me some high output lights so the 123/18650 rechargeable batteries seem more like a must for my collection. I've also got some tiny odd sized Li-Ion's but for a core set I think the four types may meet all my requirements.

What are the advantages of a 26650 based light Eraursis? I'm curious since you tossed it out there. Obviously more capacity, but is there a reason you'd want a light based off that instead of a 2x18650 or 3 or 4x18650 light?

I also figure if I can create a simple arsenal of battery power I can more easily consolidate on chargers that meet my needs.

Start with the Intellicharger I4 for the wall and get a Cottonpicker 1100mah dual folding panel with some storage packs. Maybe get a 4x18650 and a 4xAA storage pack and an apple resistor in one panel. Not sure what he has for the CR123's but that would then charge most of my core set of batteries when wall power wasn't available. It would also allow for direct charge of my phone on one panel and an ipad on the other or join both for faster charger of the storage cells or just to charge up an 18650 faster.

I might have to get one of his Nona Wall chargers though too with the 9 settings. Then between two wall chargers and one solar setup I could charge my core set of batteries plus all the odd specialty batteries I still accumulate like 10180's and 17670's that need smaller settings. I already have a nano charger and spacers for my 10180's through RCR123's but the nona charger looks like it can also plug into the solar panel even though the display may pull a tiny amount of power when not plugged to the wall.