11,530 Lux from Luxeon3

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Having received a reel of rather well-binned (SWAK) Luxeon IIIs, I set about determining if they are indeed brighter than the 1Ws, as advertised, when overdriven. There have been controlled tests by CM and McGizmo that spoke to that theory somewhat, but now it is time to have a real-world test, in a real-world mod.

Since bare emitters come with no reference to bin quality once separated from the reel, here's proof via the actual Bin Code sticker on the cardboard reel I recently received. This way you'll know what you are getting -- just in case I start to, you know, offer mods for sale or something:

SWAK%20Label%20CU.jpg

I chose the Mag 3D for this mod because it would/should provide the maximum current from commonly available batteries such as the big D cells (in fact the shunted DMM said 1.492A!), plus a neighbor had requested I make him one a those "big LED Mag flashlights" for his job, which involves pitch-black nightly inspections throughout the parking yard of our municipal bus transit authority.

So here's the big galoomph with some of his family, a modified Mag 2D (see story on this mod here) modified to take 3Cs direct driving a 1W Q3J HD, and a 5W VXOW-binned Space Needle II:

SWAK%20Mag%203D%20Line.jpg

Here are their beams, in the same order, up on the ceiling from 20 feet below:

SWAK%20Mag%203D%20Beam.jpg

The beams are actually all quite round but I had to hold one of the longer lights (guess which one?) as it kept rolling off the support, and thus the picture was taken from kind of an extreme angle.

The Space Needle II still produces the obviously greatest amount of overall light (hey, them's FOUR dies versus just the one in the LuxIII), but just as in the other test of the 2D/1W HD Mag against another Space Needle II, the throw of these single-die Luxeons walks all over the 5W beam patterns. And yet this 3D/LuxIII combo positively stomps on the 2D/1W Mag!

And here is the final validation we've all been waiting for:

SWAK%20Mag%203D%20Lux.jpg

YeeHaw! 11,530 lux, which easily beats out the 1W Q3J HD in a similar platform that made "only" 7,730 lux. Bear in mind that this is with the stock polycarbonate lens, and if the typical lux increase with the UCL lens holds true (I averaged 10%-12% in all my trials), this baby should break 12,000 lux easily.

So -- I guess the Luxeon IIIs really do provide more light when driven, or make that over-driven, to 1A levels and beyond. But as I've contended all along, with proper heatsinking (in this case the HotLips -- Thanks again Howie -- coupled with the ample aluminum mass of the big Mag 3D body), there is nowhere for LED brightness to go but up!

Thanks for looking...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Luxeon III Maglite Mod

The DD man is back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. These mods are great as they are easy to put together and the light output is great. You can't really beat the OA reflector.... unfortunately. Until there is a decent replacement, these reflectors will continue to kick @rse

arioch

Enlightened

Charlie,

Awesome light as usual ... any thoughts on doing the mod with a 3C instead of the 3D? The SNII with the "C" Mag just seems so comfortable in the hand.

Awaiting info on this new mod for sale ... *digging around in the couch for spare change* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MenaceSQL

Enlightened

Heelllll yeah, DD!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Wow! Outstanding, Charlie ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

This is just what I've been saving my old 3D for. I put a UCL lens on it and ordered one of Oto's orange-peel cammed reflectors.

Now it just needs some Hotlips and SWAKed ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Charlie,

I wonder how many amps this monster suck from 9A NiMH D cells!!!

I love to take one if this monster could stand 9A NiMH D cells. Many hourssss of bright LED light:)

I forgot how long I haven't touched my incandescant lights.

Alan

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks Howie, your heatsink really helped.

Arioch, I will probably replace the 1W Q on the other light with one a these and see if the output remains the same. It's already modified to run on 3 C's, and is shorter than the regular Mag 3C, I believe. Don't have one handy to check though. And did you get your Super yet? I sent it out yesterday, and you're only on the next island...

Yes Dennis, DD!!! Come to think of it, is there really any other way? We're building flashlights, not nuclear reactors...

BC0311, the HotLips are available right now from Hotbeam (hmmm, seems to be a connection here with the name or something...), and I believe Lux IIIs will become quite plentiful eventually since they are just beefed up (somehow, must be internally, can't see any difference) 1 watts.

Alan, I dunno about NimH D's, but it would sure make a helluva challenge to Lumileds' claim about these Lux IIIs! I'll think on it...

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie,

You think you'd break the 10,000 barrier with just 2 D's?

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Charlie,
Dang, you beat me to it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif My M-I-L will be here this weekend, which will free me up to do a bit of work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was planning on putting a TWAK Luxeon III emitter from ElektroLumens into my former 5w host that has double heatsinking (red Mag 3D that my 12AA battery holder lived in) as my 5w X3T is on my Hotlips MR waiting to go into a Pewter 3D, which will be powered by the 12AA holder (but I am waiting to put it together until I get an RGB 5mm LED from Dat2zip).

I am currently running two HD Q3J stars in parallel on 4 D's (in my lantern mod), so I figured a good Luxeon III DD on 3 D's would work OK without much trouble.

Great work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I am looking forward to seeing just how good these 3w's work with the mag reflector...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie, I'm wondering what the 1W would do on 3D's. Or the 3W on 3C's. The D's have to be pushing the "3W" harder.. Also different vF have to be taken into consideration..
What are they on the 1W?

LEDmodMan, hmm. 12AA eh? 2 sets in parrallel of 6aa's in series? Sounds like the idea I had a while back. Super long running 5W eh? Get a radioshack 7.5v 500ma wall adapter and use that to charge the thing! Would be just about right for NiMH pack setup like that. If only I had more time and money... That'd be my ultimate LED light...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Isaac,
Yep, 2 sets of 6 in series! Right now I'm only using alkalines, but NiMh may not be too far off...

The holder is the one in this thread of mine from awhile back.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

Mr Bulk, I don't understand you successed got 1watt 10,000s lumen with C batteries. If 3watts should have get 30,000s lumen. Correct me if i am wrong. btw nice!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

10,000? I thought I only got 7,730? But the same Luxeon in that platform (3C's in a Mag 2D body) should produce something similar...

But just to clarify, the Luxeon III is not a 3-watt, it is essentially the same single-die 1W with something magical deep inside not readily visible externally, that is designed to produce a significant bit more output than a 1W driven to similar input levels -- just not three times more...

LightBright

Enlightened

I agree it's not a 3 Watt, it's a 4 watt device. Right from Lumiled's pdf file, it says the average voltage is 3.90 volts, and that's at 1.0 amp, and that works out to 3.9 watts.

Perhaps you could measure the voltage & current on your new Big 3D?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Current is mentioned in the first post as 1.492 amps, voltage I will have to get brave enough (and put on my welder's goggles) to see what it is at the Luxeon's leads; gimme a day or two and a few drinks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

arioch

Enlightened

Charlie,

Yes, I got my Super LGI today ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Brighter and whiter than my SL TL2led, SL TL3led, SL 3AA lux, Blaster III, and Minimag w/Inretech white. In fact, the only luxeon light I have that puts out more light is ... your SNII!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Waiting for work tomorrow night to test it out on the golf course ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, might be a dumb question, but with the successful Super LGI, would you be able to put a 1W LS into a Brinkman Legend 2AA with the Fraen optics?

Once again ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

"BTW, might be a dumb question, but with the successful Super LGI, would you be able to put a 1W LS into a Brinkman Legend 2AA with the Fraen optics?"

Good question! Now I have something else to do!

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

So the 1 watt was doing 7,000 lux, the 3 watt 11,000 lux, but how many lux was the 5 watt doing? I'm currently planning to mod my 3D to use either a 5 watt W5VW binned emitter or a 3 watt TWAK binned emitter. Not sure which i want to use yet though, i have the 5 watt in but i'm still waiting for my hotlips and the 3 watt to get here so i can start experimenting. From what i gather though the 3 watt will give a tighter and further throwing beam in a mag. But i'm curious which one put's out more lux in your measurements. I was looking through your site Mr Bulk and from what i gather the space needle II put's out roughly 7000 - 8000 lux. Does this mean that the 3 watt you show here beats out the space needle II in lux output? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

The "average" Space Needle IIs are doing about 7500 lux. But an average SN2 puts out 216 lumens. Lux only measures how well a reflector or optic can gather all available light and center it forward. And that's where lux readings are taken, in the brightest spot of the beam. Lumens is a measure of all available light output in a spherical pattern all around the light emission source.

To put it in perspective, a laser at one extreme might put out 50,000 lux. A 25W bare bulb room light might register only 50 lux on the same meter. But the room light will illuminate up to several hundred square feet all at once. With the laser you could only illuminate maybe a square millimeter at one time, depending on the distance. So the room bulb is putting out a HECK of a lot more light, while the laser is putting out much, much less. Yet the laser will register way higher in lux readings.

The comparison between a Luxeon III and a 5W does not involve as widespread extremes in contrast, so they "lux" pretty close, but the Luxeon III may be putting out only 65 lumens of light compared to the Space Needle's 216 lumens. It's just that the centered die of the Luxeon III can be placed much more closely within the optimal focal plane of the reflector as compared to the four dies of the 5W, which are all squished together as near to the center as possible, yet with NO die able to actually get "into" the center of the beam, and thus you have four off-aimed dies with none of them actually hitting the sweet spot of the reflector to put a bright ray of light smack dab in the middle of a light meter's sensor to get the high reading.

This rambling attempt at a description is making everything as clear as mud now I realize, but I'm heading for the futons as I must return to work tomorrow. Good night...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie, that was plenty clear for me.

BC