Zebra Light SC80W AA/123A new version soon?

passive101

Enlightened
Will there be a new redesigned light like the new ZL52 that is coming out soon like this one?

Romanko

Newly Enlightened
Staff (Administrator)
11/5/2012 12:21:20 AM We will release an SC82 early next year. We may add XP-G2 (cool white and neutral white) variants to the current XM-L version in the SC52, SC32, SC82, etc. early next year.

passive101

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I might hold off until the revision on this light. It will be awesome to have a light so handy!

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about bringing back this Dead Thread but...

Has anyone received more info about the upcoming Zebralight sc82?

Jay76

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about bringing back this Dead Thread but...

Has anyone received more info about the upcoming Zebralight sc82?

I just inquired about this yesterday and got an email back saying the SC82 is still on the cards but the person responding didn't have any release dates at this time.

markr6

Flashaholic
The SC80 looked genius! I'm stumped as to why it didn't seem very popular. Seems hard to top for many applications (car light, BOB, backpacking, etc)

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
I just inquired about this yesterday and got an email back saying the SC82 is still on the cards but the person responding didn't have any release dates at this time.

Same story I got several months ago...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC80 looked genius! I'm stumped as to why it didn't seem very popular. Seems hard to top for many applications (car light, BOB, backpacking, etc)
As a CR123 light it is too long for some, and as an AA light it is too fat. For me this is not the reason why I don't bother with the SC80.

The only reason why I am not biting is because I hate clip-on clips that are clipped onto the body of the light. How secure can it be? For bigger lights I don't mind holster carrying, but smaller lights I prefer clipping it in my pocket and I just dislike such a clip.

BowHunter1

Newly Enlightened
So I have been doing ALOT of research on the SC52 and the likes there of from Zebralight. Working gravyards so I have the time lol is the SC52 still a good buy?? I don't mind that it takes AA's. Thats actually what I prefer. Nothing new from them that might pursade me away from the SC52??

Swede74

Enlightened
So I have been doing ALOT of research on the SC52 and the likes there of from Zebralight. Working gravyards so I have the time lol is the SC52 still a good buy?? I don't mind that it takes AA's. Thats actually what I prefer. Nothing new from them that might pursade me away from the SC52??

This is pure speculation from my side, but I'd say it's not out of the question that they decide to update the SC52 with the new user interface we now see in most, if not all of their new headlamps, plus the SC600 Mk II XML-2. (Triple-click from off to access beacon / strobe)

They are about to release the SC32d and SC62d (it was mentioned in another thread that specs for the SC62d will be released next week) so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new AA-light any time soon.

I've never had any problems with my SC52, so in my opinion it is still a good buy. I think most would agree it was cutting edge when it first became available about a year ago, so it's still a modern light.

BowHunter1

Newly Enlightened
This is pure speculation from my side, but I'd say it's not out of the question that they decide to update the SC52 with the new user interface we now see in most, if not all of their new headlamps, plus the SC600 Mk II XML-2. (Triple-click from off to access beacon / strobe)

They are about to release the SC32d and SC62d (it was mentioned in another thread that specs for the SC62d will be released next week) so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new AA-light any time soon.

I've never had any problems with my SC52, so in my opinion it is still a good buy. I think most would agree it was cutting edge when it first became available about a year ago, so it's still a modern light.

Thanks for the info!! I really like the specs on the SC52...but if something better is coming I dont mind the wait either. Your input has helped alot. Seems the AA side may stay with the SC52

Swede74

Enlightened

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
As a CR123 light it is too long for some, and as an AA light it is too fat. For me this is not the reason why I don't bother with the SC80.

The only reason why I am not biting is because I hate clip-on clips that are clipped onto the body of the light. How secure can it be? For bigger lights I don't mind holster carrying, but smaller lights I prefer clipping it in my pocket and I just dislike such a clip.

I bought the light and it does drive me nuts. I have gone through three clips and almost lost the light twice. You need a good pocket clip on a pocket flashlight.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately it looks like the sc82 won't be arriving until 2014 at the earliest, according to someone over at Zebralight. :(

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
I know this is an old thread, Mods please forgive me but I thought this was relevant news and ought to be shared since there are many people waiting for an updated version of Zebralight SC80.

Sad news from Zebralight. I contacted them about an updated SC82 and this was their reply I received today:

"Ticket status: Completed

Department: Sales

Subject: SC80 or SC82

The SC80 was discontinued years ago. We had an SC82 design but without any production plans. With the recent SC5 release, the SC8x is less likely to be continued in the future. The SC5 is designed to be similar to the SC8x in terms of dimensions and performance.

Sincerely,

ZebraLight, Inc.
2908 Story Rd. W
Irving, TX 75038"

markr6

Flashaholic
The SC80 was discontinued years ago. We had an SC82 design but without any production plans. With the recent SC5 release, the SC8x is less likely to be continued in the future. The SC5 is designed to be similar to the SC8x in terms of dimensions and performance.

Interesting, thanks for checking! Many of us commented on the looks and size, but I don't think anyone really intended it to replace the AA/123 style light. I'm OK with that since I don't use CR123, but I always thought that was a great idea as a backup option and longterm storage. Awesome BOB light. Oh well. I'll be getting an SC5w OP when available!

Phry

Banned
I thought the idea of how to use either battery type was pretty clever. The Fenix CL20 has a similar idea too where you can use 2 x AA or a CR123.

Problems I think though are that, firstly, not many people do use different types of batteries. I think most people will use one or the other and never switch between them, which is what I do with the Fenix.

Secondly, if you do that then your light is just bigger than it has to be with no benefit. So, if you only use CR123 in the ZL, you just have a light that is too long and is just empty space. if you use AA then your light is thicker than it needs to be.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secondly, if you do that then your light is just bigger than it has to be with no benefit. So, if you only use CR123 in the ZL, you just have a light that is too long and is just empty space. if you use AA then your light is thicker than it needs to be.

Yeah, I don't see the point of the SC8x. Just get a SC5 or a SC32, depending on your preference. If you want support for all kinds of chemistries, get a SC52.