OLight, 4Sevens or PowerTac Weapon Light?

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
I have been using an older OLight M20 Warrior (270 Lumen Version; I think) as a weapon light mounted to my Mossberg 12-guage shotgun. I have decided to upgrade to a newer light. I've looked at the new OLight M20S-X 500 Lumen light, the 4Sevens Maelstrom MM-X and 2 offerings from PowerTac. I have never heard of PowerTac before. They look very similar to OLight.

I noticed some odd things about the PowerTac lights. They offer an E5 light that says it's capable of 700 lumens. Then they have a larger light with a visible heatsink called "Warrior" that is more expensive but states that it is only capable of 650 lumens. This doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you normally think that the smaller & less expensive light would be the less capable of the two? I know that 50 lumens aren't worth squabbling about. But, it makes me wonder about the PowerTac brand.

So ... I basically have two areas of questions.

1st: Is the PowerTac brand equal to OLight & 4Sevens and what are your thoughts about the differences between the E5 and Warrior models?

2nd: Out of the 3 brands mentioned, what is your opinion on which one to choose for a shotgun weapon-light? Or, is their some other brand that I don't know about?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of PowerTac lights are rebranded lights from other manufacturers. For example, the E5 that you mention is simply a rebranded ThruNite TN12.

I'm not sure about the Warrior model. I haven't come across anything like it, so it could be their own unique design.

Anyway, E5/TN12 is a pocket rocket. I have one, and its raw output is equivalent to that of Scorpion V2 and TN11, both of which produce 900+ OTF lumens. Unfortunately, TN12 can't sustain that output for long and will throttle its output to prevent thermal suicide.

Warrior, on the other hand, should handle heat much better and have more stable output throughout its runtime due to its increased thermal dissipation capability.

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
Some of PowerTac lights are rebranded lights from other manufacturers. For example, the E5 that you mention is simply a rebranded ThruNite TN12.

I'm not sure about the Warrior model. I haven't come across anything like it, so it could be their own unique design.

Anyway, E5/TN12 is a pocket rocket. I have one, and its raw output is equivalent to that of Scorpion V2 and TN11, both of which produce 900+ OTF lumens. Unfortunately, TN12 can't sustain that output for long and will throttle its output to prevent thermal suicide.

Warrior, on the other hand, should handle heat much better and have more stable output throughout its runtime due to its increased thermal dissipation capability.

As far as durability, how does the E5 compare to the other brands? Remember ... this is going on a 12-guage shotgun.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get the E5 for weapon light. It doesn't have dual springs for proper shock absorption from the recoils.