Question about VanIsle and Kerberos Quads

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Please don't read into this too much.

I believe the Kerberos quads used modified 7135 based drivers. Did the VanIsle quads do this as well?

Secondly, some of you may be aware of flickering issues occurring in some of the KD and DX 7135 based drivers. Did the quads from the above 2 guys have any similar issues?

I ask because it's not actually very good to parallel LEDs off the same current source, however it's generally OK for what we all use them for. I'm just trying to nail down what caused the issues I (and others) ran into. Basically was it heat issues, a bad batch if drivers, or as a result of the paralleling.

Just after feedback from people who owned these quads.

Thanks,

- Matt

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Kerberos quads, they flicker on startup, for a split second like fluorescent lights. But after a flicker it stabilizes in the first second. Hope that helps!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Kerberos quads, they flicker on startup, for a split second like fluorescent lights. But after a flicker it stabilizes in the first second. Hope that helps!

Hmm, might be a different problem. I wonder why they flicker on start up...possibly voltage sag? something I should keep an eye put for in my testing at least.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Van quads use 7xxx ;)

Mine has the same 2mode UI my V1 Wrightlite has - Lo/Hi
I think it's the shiningbeam type or KD driver - not sure which
Neither has ever flickered on me.

Some of my Nailbender drops flicker when the battery is smashing into the spring really hard.

Hope that helps ;)

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I did some looking at it looks as if Van's are 7135 (now confirmed by you). he did some funny business with how he connected it all up but it seemed to work none-the-less.

Thanks for the info!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned three VI units. One 4.2 and two 5.6 and neither have had any flickering. All were, one still is, solid performers. So, um, are you making a new gen quad with updated LEDs? :D

Wilkey

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned three VI units. One 4.2 and two 5.6 and neither have had any flickering. All were, one still is, solid performers. So, um, are you making a new gen quad with updated LEDs? :D

Wilkey

I plan to, but have no set time frame yet. I keep getting hit with delays on my triple so the thought of a quad is scaring me at the moment lol.