PD32UE LED Change. Worth It, Really ?.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi firstly, hope this is in the right area of the forum. thanks.

I have a PD32UE, and was told the XM-L LED is at 5000k.

now if I wanted to downgrade to a like 4100-4300k LED, is that possible ?

should I just stick with the LED already in there as is there much difference, really?. am I wasting my time?.

HDS tells me early next year they may be releasing a HCRI of 4000K in a 120 Lumen flashlight at $199USD-maybe.

....who does these swap overs, and how does it all work?. im in London.

new to flashlights - thanks to you all. :candle:

Darryl.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a running thread on the standard PD32 with pictures of it opened up.
EDIT: I see now that you have been in that post. :shrug:

It's a pretty straight forward swap once you open the head, Fenix glued this one good.(at least they did mine) It's definitely possible and only you can determine if it's worth while. If the PD32UE is 5000k I would think the tint would be pleasing with no blue/green in it. On the other hand, I'm a big fan of the 4500k tint that has just a touch more yellow in it.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a quick check and it looks like you can get 4500k in singles but all the 4300k ones I found were 1000 count reels.

I've done this swap and I'm sure there are others that could/would do it for you too but I'm unsure of anyone closer to you that will do it. In all honesty, the price of the emitter swap plus shipping would be around 2/3 to 3/4 as much as you paid for the light if you ship overseas. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, I was thinking the same.
maybe swap it even to a 4000k but MCE LED would be ideal im sure.
thanks so much for replying.
personally, if you had this PD32, would you swap it to 4000k neutral ? thanks.

I did a quick check and it looks like you can get 4500k in singles but all the 4300k ones I found were 1000 count reels.

I've done this swap and I'm sure there are others that could/would do it for you too but I'm unsure of anyone closer to you that will do it. In all honesty, the price of the emitter swap plus shipping would be around 2/3 to 3/4 as much as you paid for the light if you ship overseas. Just my opinion.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't answer that without seeing the beam pattern but it's also an unfair comparison because if I were to swap it, it would only cost me the price of the emitter and an hour or so of my time. Would I personally pay someone to swap it? Only if I really liked the function of the light and disliked the beam color. I do have a PD32 XP-G version,it was nice but just a little "blue" so I swapped it to Nichia 219. I have swapped some lights to 5000k tint that were very nice.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, looks like I should just shhhh, and see how it goes. its not bad at all, and i probably do like it a lot.
just me excited after being part of this great forum, and seeing dark sucks site!.
i really like the look of those new 2012 BMW headlights, and wondering if they were at 5000k .....or 4100k (says bmw woman!) hmmmm.
thank you again.