low power devices for backlighting

IanWorthington

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I'd like to build a large back-lit frame for hanging photographs printed on transparent stock, similar to a light table.

From my readings here I'm thinking my requirements are similar to display lighting: good extended CRI and QAI numbers and a CT in the region of > 5000K. One difference would be that I do *not* want a small number of high power devices but a largish number of low power devices in order to create a diffused light source. The requirement for ventilation I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Can anyone suggest where I might start to look for suitable devices?

Ian

SemiMan

Banned
Hi.

I'd like to build a large back-lit frame for hanging photographs printed on transparent stock, similar to a light table.

From my readings here I'm thinking my requirements are similar to display lighting: good extended CRI and QAI numbers and a CT in the region of > 5000K. One difference would be that I do *not* want a small number of high power devices but a largish number of low power devices in order to create a diffused light source. The requirement for ventilation I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Can anyone suggest where I might start to look for suitable devices?

Ian

Two easy options depending on how "large" you mean:

1) If the size is tolerable, find or even buy a LED monitor and take off the screen.

2) Buy an advertising display backlight, one of the thin ones that are already assembled.

You can always change the LEDs on either to match what you want.

Other option is to just build a light box and make sure you have good diffusion.

Backlighting, CRI, etc. is not such a simple concept for photographic display. "White" will be whatever your eyes have adapted to which will be dependent on what they have been predominantly exposed to in very recently which is likely to be the room lights. If the room is lit with 3K and you use a 5K backlight, white may come across with a blue tint.

In terms of CRI, if the primary viewing is only to be backlit, then it is not about CRI, but about matching the printing to the spectrum of the bulb.

Semiman

IanWorthington

Newly Enlightened
Two easy options depending on how "large" you mean:

1) If the size is tolerable, find or even buy a LED monitor and take off the screen.

2) Buy an advertising display backlight, one of the thin ones that are already assembled.

You can always change the LEDs on either to match what you want.

Other option is to just build a light box and make sure you have good diffusion.

Backlighting, CRI, etc. is not such a simple concept for photographic display. "White" will be whatever your eyes have adapted to which will be dependent on what they have been predominantly exposed to in very recently which is likely to be the room lights. If the room is lit with 3K and you use a 5K backlight, white may come across with a blue tint.

In terms of CRI, if the primary viewing is only to be backlit, then it is not about CRI, but about matching the printing to the spectrum of the bulb.

Semiman

Many thanks for your response. As I'm after quite a large display area - at least A3 and maybe A2 -- I think a decent IPS monitor will be too expensive, though it does have the clear advantage of not having to make physical copies to hang!

I haven't seen any backlit advertising displays, but I'll check them out, that might work.

You make a good point about 3k room illumination. I was thinking about display under daylight, but maybe I need dual switchable led strings.

I'm sure there's some way I can profile the display to correct the image prior to printng, but I'm still going to be looking for some high quality leds with wide gamut.

Any suggestions where I should start the search for these?

Ian.