Why so many re-labeled Panasonic 18650 clones?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there really any difference? Besides cost?

Last edited:

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Only the name really. There's little difference in the cutoff current and resistance.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is there really any difference? Besides cost?

I have not seen any clones of Panasonic, but you have real Panasonic in a couple of varieties:

1) Genuine Panasonic cell, is always unprotected.
2) Modified Panasonic cell, i.e. a button top added and/or protection added. This is not done by Panasonic, but by somebody unknown.
3) Rewrapped Panasonic cell, this is the same as 2), except that somebody is taking responsibility for the modifications.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen any clones of Panasonic, but you have real Panasonic in a couple of varieties:

1) Genuine Panasonic cell, is always unprotected.
2) Modified Panasonic cell, i.e. a button top added and/or protection added. This is not done by Panasonic, but by somebody unknown.
3) Rewrapped Panasonic cell, this is the same as 2), except that somebody is taking responsibility for the modifications.

Re-wrapped is what I mean. The last reviewed 3400 protected Panasonics are genuine - no?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re-wrapped is what I mean. The last reviewed 3400 protected Panasonics are genuine - no?

The cells are genuie, but a battery like this:
DSC_1075.jpg

is not made by Panasonic, only the cell is from Panasonic, the button top, protection and clear wrapping is made and assembled by somebody else.

When you get something like this:

DSC_0529.jpg
DSC_1357.jpg

Somebody is taking responsibility for the modifications.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only the name really. There's little difference in the cutoff current and resistance.

And size. The length of protected cell can vary from 68 to 70 mm (70mm could be too much for some flashlights). The same applies for diameter.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Somebody is taking responsibility for the modifications.

+1

The basic issue is that Panasonic is not expecting these to be used as loose cells and does not make their own protected version. 100% of protected 3400's are made so by 3rd parties.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Part of the issue is that some 3rd parties seem to be using new cells, and some might not, and, some use bulkier or less effective protection, and so forth.

Part of the reason some of us pay more is to feel confident that its not a shady supplier using used cells from a recycled laptop, etc.

IE: Paying for confidence in the supply chain.

LEDite

Enlightened
Part of the issue is that some 3rd parties seem to be using new cells, and some might not, and, some use bulkier or less effective protection, and so forth.

Part of the reason some of us pay more is to feel confident that its not a shady supplier using used cells from a recycled laptop, etc.

IE: Paying for confidence in the supply chain.

I've been buying quantities of 3400 Panasonic cells for some time & selling over at LPF.

Some vendors I talked to, offered to rewrap cells in black, that were originally in battery packs.

I'm sure the quality vendors don't do this, but the possibility is there.

Overall, I really like the quality and durability of the 3400 mah Panny cells.

LEDite

sixteenornumber

Newly Enlightened
I've been buying quantities of 3400 Panasonic cells for some time & selling over at LPF.

Some vendors I talked to, offered to rewrap cells in black, that were originally in battery packs.

I'm sure the quality vendors don't do this, but the possibility is there.

Overall, I really like the quality and durability of the 3400 mah Panny cells.

LEDite

what vendors? i've seen a lot of panasonics on ebay but how do i know if they are real? can you give me the name of a reputable vendor?