OSTS Night Master For Firefighting Use?

Chipless

Newly Enlightened
I've essentially read all of the threads/posts that result from a "firefighting" search, and I've also tried contacting OSTS, but my question remains unanswered, so I am hoping someone can offer some input on this.

I was considering the OSTS (OneStopThrowShop) Night Master by CPF user "saabluster" as a helmet-mounted search torch to be used in firefighting-related efforts. It seems like it could be a great tool to have due to its extremely tight beam and high cd rating. Although no light can truly "cut" through smoke entirely, I think this one might do so most effectively.

Is this light, which is a modified Dereelight, capable of standing up to the hazards associated with firefighting? I've only used lights with polymer housing, so I'm not even sure if the anodized finish is something fit to bring into a fire :confused:

Any input you have is welcome, even if it's a suggestion to consider something else entirely. Thank you so much!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night Master has a fat head, and it may be too large to be used as a helmet light. For handheld usage, it will be phenomenal, due to its tight beam being able to cut through smoke and fog like laser beam. The problem is that it is not rated for intrinsically safe operation, meaning that you won't be able to bring it into hazardous environment where combustible gases are present.

As for the brand itself, Dereelight makes quality lights. I haven't had any problems with the ones that I own.

Anodizing is basically a hard coating applied to the surface of aluminium. It gives the metal an exterior layer of hardened surface that will resist scratches and dents better than raw aluminium.

Chipless

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the valuable info! Sounds like it might not be a bad tool to have for a structure fire, but would have to stay in the rig for any potential Haz-Mat calls. Thanks again.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a rough instruction that I made in Photoshop.

flashlight_smoke.jpg

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a process to certify fashlights for use such as firefighting.

Streamlight had an angle-head flashlight with a very narrow beam and a deep reflector in polymer, certified for hazardous use.

Obviously a product such as the NightMaster, which is a small scale custom made product, will not be going through specialized certifications.

Now, for personal use, it might work well because of the narrow beam, but you should also have an "official" flashlight which has been certified -- does not your unit do this at a unit level?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a rough instruction that I made in Photoshop.

flashlight_smoke.jpg

Enomoiki, thanks for that great instruction. It is very helpful and an accurate account of what occurs in that situation.

I once used the Surefire G2-FYL with turbo head as my helmet light. It was very heavy because of the head, and it was not a tight beam. Caused issues so I sold it.

Saab's lights are top notch. I would try it out for sure.

Chipless

Newly Enlightened
There is a process to certify fashlights for use such as firefighting.

Streamlight had an angle-head flashlight with a very narrow beam and a deep reflector in polymer, certified for hazardous use.

Obviously a product such as the NightMaster, which is a small scale custom made product, will not be going through specialized certifications.

Now, for personal use, it might work well because of the narrow beam, but you should also have an "official" flashlight which has been certified -- does not your unit do this at a unit level?

My unit's official/standard issue light is a Pelican 3715 right-angle. Just looking for something to supplement it. Still on the fence about the Night Master. Could be a costly "toy" to have, especially since it can't be used in all situations. Then again, if there's even the slightest chance it could help to save a life, it would be worth every penny.

Thanks again for all the input thus far!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, I'm not sure if they are rated for intrinsically safe operation, but FoxFury's Breakthrough BT2 and BT3 offer hilariously tight beams for reflector-based lights. They do have the characteristics of intrinsically safe flashlight, but I'd still ask them. They are pretty new to the market.

Chipless

Newly Enlightened
Now, I'm not sure if they are rated for intrinsically safe operation, but FoxFury's Breakthrough BT2 and BT3 offer hilariously tight beams for reflector-based lights. They do have the characteristics of intrinsically safe flashlight, but I'd still ask them. They are pretty new to the market.

I came across the BT2 and BT3 while doing preliminary research prior to my initial post. Raw specs aren't too impressive, but I've heard nothing but positive things about them. Might just have to try one assuming they are intrinsically safe.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across the BT2 and BT3 while doing preliminary research prior to my initial post. Raw specs aren't too impressive, but I've heard nothing but positive things about them. Might just have to try one assuming they are intrinsically safe.

I wouldn't say that their raw specs aren't "impressive". On the contrary, really.

Check out turboBB's long range beamshots of BT2 and BT3 and you'll see what I mean by "hilariously tight beams". Short of aspheric lights, they out-throw just about everything in the AA and 6V categories.

firefightergotoguy

Newly Enlightened
Chipless. The Pelican 3715 is also the light I wear on my coat. Its fantastic and I've really beat it to hell and its held up better than the Big Ed, and Lil Ed that I had previously. A light on your head in a structure fire is definately a no go. The reason it used to be a good idea is because those little garrity lights were such low output. These days a bright light on your lid will get you jammed up. I keep on on the front by my helmet shield, and I use it for extrications and things of that nature, but no fire. Google "Rayovac virtually indestructible" or better yet go to home depot(sold only there) and pick it up for 13 bucks. And it uses AAA's. Trust me on this one, super bright and pretty tough.
Stay safe out there brother
Eddie