Need help with my diving canister light project.

Raftingtigger

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

My diving canister light project has been slowly coming along. It is at a point (probably do to user error) that several key components need replacing. Instead of going at this piecemeal - as I've been doing - I would like to consider the whole system.

My goal is to have a reasonably bright (minimum 400 lumen) dive light that will last without battery changing for a full day of diving (say 3-4 hours run-time).

I had almost such a light working with a Cree XLM-T6 '1000 lumen' LED, 2 x 18650 LiIon protected cells, a 1.25A driver, and a remote battery canister created from an old Ikelite mini-C flashlight. The only issues were: run-time was too short for a full hour night dive and pre/post light use; the on/off switch was temperamental; light output was good, but not anywhere near full brightness of the LED.

Being the consummate DIYer I decided to make a larger battery canister with a better switch and upgrade the driver to give more current to the LED. Originally the plan was to use 4 x 1.25V NiMH C-cells, but was changed to using 3.7V 18650 LiIon cells since I have 8 of them. Unfortunately when connecting the new battery canister in for the first time I reversed the polarity (briefly) and since the driver wasn't so protected it is probably what took the LED out.

So, this is what I have, have ordered, and need. I would appreciate input. If I'm being stupid please point that out. No particular component is set in stone.

Concerns are:
  • are there problems with the 3 parallel battery circuits? If so any easy fixes?
  • Driver and LED match. Looks like the driver on order really puts out 2.2-2.6A not the rated 3A. I'd like to get the most out of the LED but don't want to burn it out. Realistically anything over 400 lumens is good, 600-800 better.

Thanks in advance - Cheryl

Battery canister:
  • Length of 2" ABS pipe with a glued end cap and a plug/o-ring removable cap that is retained with a threaded ring.
  • The plug has an Arco gland and SPST toggle switch and waterproof boot (both from Hector at TLSlights)
  • Passed watertight test to >100' depth.
Lighthead
  • From a diving flashlight
  • Heatsink will hold a standard star/LED
  • room for up to 23mm driver board
Battery holder
  • holds 3 parallel, 2 x 18650 protected LiIon cells. (8.4 - 7.4V)
Driver
  • On order: from DX.com
    128269T6 2500~3000mA 3-Mode Regulated LED Driver Circuit Board for DIY Flashlight (4.5~18V)USD$ 4.70
LED (need to order) my current thoughts are one of these from DX.com
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]188145[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]CREE XM-L T5 10W 800lm White Light Bulb Aluminum Plate for Flashlight - Black + Silver [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Driving Current[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]2400mA[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Voltage[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]3~4V[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Worldwide[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]-[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] 1 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]+[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]$5.90[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]181961[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Replacement CREE XM-L T6 800lm LED Bulb - Black + Silver [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Driving Current[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]2400mA[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Voltage[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]3.6~4.2V[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]-[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] 1 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]+[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]$5.80[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]$5.80[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]173823[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Cree XML T6 10W 910lm 6300K LED Emitter Module - White (2.1cm-Diameter) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Current: 3A[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
- Luminous flux: 910lm
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
- Voltage: 3.2~3.8V
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]158753[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Cree XM-L T6 10W 885lm 6300K White Light LED Bulb for Flashlight - Black (3.0~3.5V)[FONT=Arial,sans-serif] Driving Current: 3A[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]$6.30[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]$6.30[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]51989[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]XM-L 975-Lumen LED Emitter White Light Bulb (3.0~3.5V) [/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Working voltage: 3.0~3.5V[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
- Working current: 3000mA
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]$8.30[/FONT][/FONT]​