Fenix LD15="Battery Crusher"?

drew78

Newly Enlightened
Greetings to all!

Looking for a little education. Recently picked up a LD15 and it seems to fit the bill for what I was lookking for thus far.

In doing some reading, it appears that due to the way the light functions in combination with the way the tail end of the battery tube is designed can lead to battery crushing if you tighten the head down too far when operating the light.

The question I have is why does Fenix design this light like this? Why the 3 "tabs" for the negative end of the battery and not a spring?

Looking for the pros AND cons of this set up. Is it more durable, less prone to battery rattle, ect...

Like I said, just looking to understand why they put this light together that way.

Additionally, whats so bad about crushing a battery? Assuming it isnt a rechargable, is there a danger in crushing a primary AA lithium battery if the user tightens the head down too far?

Thanks in advance to all!

Drew

tam17

Enlightened
I've been using LD15 for some 2 years now. Nothing crushed, nothing damaged here (I'm using Eneloops and Duracell 2450mAh copper tops). People crush batteries, flashlights don't. Just use your common sense.

Cheers

AIRASSAULT18B

Newly Enlightened
I've been using LD15 for some 2 years now. Nothing crushed, nothing damaged here (I'm using Eneloops and Duracell 2450mAh copper tops). People crush batteries, flashlights don't. Just use your common sense.

Cheers
I have had mine a little longer then Tam17 but, he hit the nail on the head. It does not take a lot of strength to tighten it from Hi-LO-OFF. It is obvious when you have made contact & no longer need to turn the head any further. It is a great light for the size & output.

drew78

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies gents. Perhaps I should have tweaked my title a bit. I am really more interested in why Fenix uses the tabs and not a spring at the tail end of the light.

How are your LD15's holding up? How much daily use do they get. Trying also to determine if this style of light is reliable long down the road with lots of on/off cycles.

Thanks!

Drew

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just fyi but their e11 does have a spring & imo a less finicky ui (but different beam profile & does not tailstand); also e05, l1p, l1t, v1, & e01 all- I prefer springs too. I'd why the ld15 doesn't,but as said it's probably not that big of a deal.

tam17

Enlightened
Just fyi but their e11 does have a spring & imo a less finicky ui (but different beam profile & does not tailstand); also e05, l1p, l1t, v1, & e01 all- I prefer springs too. I'd why the ld15 doesn't,but as said it's probably not that big of a deal.

Leon, head design on E01, E05 and LD01 is different from LD15's (also EZ-AA's, etc.), which utilizes non-anodized (conductive) threads. Too much elasticity from the spring would cause flaky operation and mode skipping. In other words, contact has to be firm in order to operate this type of UI properly. Hence the "battery crusher" fame...

To OP: my LD15 is holding up quite well, although I'd like to use a better lube than common silicone grease (friction between aluminum alloy and brass sometimes is very close to galling).

Cheers,

Tam