Why do you carry that stupid light she said

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
Why do you carry that stupid light, I have heard that statement a few times. I said it doesn't take up much space, don't worry about it. Last night we went out for dinner, it was a cold night. My wife got out of the car and took her gloves off to leave in the car. She then let out a mild scream, " my ring! my ring!". Some how her wedding ring came off and fell to the ground. I said don't move, I will be right there. I got out my EDC light (E1B) and got on the ground and looked around. I said get back in the car and shut the door. I layed the light on the ground and moved it in a circle pattern. Then I saw it, wedged under the right front tire. The diamond sparkled in the bright beam of my light. Needless to say my wife was very happy, I don't think she will ask me again why I carry that stupid light.

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Carry up to 3 EDCs and see what she says - mine said many things about it and about me for doing that. And I herd her say things over the phone to her sister too.
So now I'm down to 1, sometimes 2 depending on the situation. Carried (edc) 2 couple days ago when we drove a couple hours out up into the hills, plus the glove box light was along.
She carries usually 1 in her purse - LD12 or i1. Makes me want to drop a couple more small edc lights in her purse and I have my chance at it. Still, probably a loosing battle.

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
Let em say what they will......

I never leave the house day or night without 3 EDC's

I carry because I can.....Guess I'm crazy !

Ezeriel

Enlightened
All up in yo business 'bout yo lights...

she be not payin' 'tention, losin' da wedding bling

sounds like it might be time for you to be talkin' to da'man 'bouts a divorce

...just sayin'

lightcycle1

Enlightened
My GF is fairly understanding. I get many times from her "shine your light over here". I usually give her a blast while she's digging around in her purse at nite in the car.
I never leave the house without at least my ZL HL and a couple spare AA. I have a new Fenix PD32ue and that is usually on my belt as well as of lately.

She knows the value of these lights when we're camping. She's camped with me for years and I always had 2 Black Diamond HL's with me and a Mini-Mag incan back in the day when anything with an LED
Was hot stuff and state of the art tech.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine used to call me crazy too for carrying at least two lights with me on an EDC basis. One night when we were out late and she was dead tired. We decided to take a short cut through an unlit path through some trees with rather thick canopies. The whole path looks almost pitch black and she was scared. I took out my HDS for myself and passed her my Surefire E1B and continued with the walk. Seeing how bright these two lights are she calmed down.

Now she EDC her Nitecore D10 which I gave her many years back (I remember I bought it from 4Sevens while they were still selling Nitecore), and she no longer thinks I am crazy for having a couple of lights on me.

BUT..... She now thinks I am crazy for having a collection of 60+ flashlights in the house!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Why do you carry that {light | knife | gun | extra cell phone battery | jumper cables | emergency cash | blanket in the car | etc}?" I'd have ... a big stack of nickels.

We've become a society where everyone expects everything to go as planned, so materially preparing for things not to go as planned is often seen as a sign of undesirable weirdness or worse - until the moment when the unscheduled and unwanted occurs, then it can be briefly excused (but ideally it would not involve actually having anything that would unsettle your critics until the precise nanosecond of need).

Samy

Enlightened
A few days ago my wife was about to go out and she was standing at the front door digging through her handbag. She stops and looks at me and says "where's my flashlight!?" in that tone where she thinks i've done something wrong. I said "it's on the coffee table where you left it from when you used it last night"
she then said "oh, ok. Keep your hands off my light!" and with that she scooped up her Quark AA Tactical shoved it into it's holster, threw it in her bag, slapped a kiss on me and off she went.

You just have to train them well. ;)

cheers

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's stopped bugging me about the EDC after it's proven itself a few times...

It's now even normal to use my Elektrolumens ST90 when we hang out the washing at night - the spill is foreground lighting and the hotspot reflects off the shed for background lighting - full coverage from a single light source :)

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
I got out my EDC light (E1B) and got on the ground and looked around. I said get back in the car and shut the door. I layed the light on the ground and moved it in a circle pattern. Then I saw it, wedged under the right front tire. The diamond sparkled in the bright beam of my light. Needless to say my wife was very happy, I don't think she will ask me again why I carry that stupid light.

Nice.

You are now good to go..... (get more lights)

"why do you carry that stupid light" makes me want to laugh.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago my wife was about to go out and she was standing at the front door digging through her handbag. She stops and looks at me and says "where's my flashlight!?" in that tone where she thinks i've done something wrong. I said "it's on the coffee table where you left it from when you used it last night"
she then said "oh, ok. Keep your hands off my light!" and with that she scooped up her Quark AA Tactical shoved it into it's holster, threw it in her bag, slapped a kiss on me and off she went.

You just have to train them well. ;)

cheers
Your wife sir is AWESOME!

cerbie

Enlightened
BUT..... She now thinks I am crazy for having a collection of 60+ flashlights in the house!
You are. You are just in denial.

The first step to treatment is admitting you have a problem.

The next stage of treatment is to realize that the real problem is having unfilled niches in your collection! :devil:

It would be interesting to map the general locations of everyone who's posted in threads like this about it happening (such posts have been going on longer than I've been a member), to see if there is any geographical correlation.

I've only been asked twice. Both times the question was genuine. One of them I never met again, the other now EDCs a flashlight.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent real life experience. I would have been tempted to tell her I did not find the light - sell it, and fund some more lights! :sssh:

Only joking......

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
Excellent real life experience. I would have been tempted to tell her I did not find the light - sell it, and fund some more lights! :sssh:

Only joking......

Why didn't I think of that.............. I could have purchased a boat load of lights, LOL.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

I have it easy...I use so many lights for work, that its normal for me to have some in my pockets, etc.

The jumper cables, emergency blanket, etc...yeah, the wife is not the kind of person who wants ANYTHING she can't see needing immediately. IE: I leave an ice scraper in the rig year round, along with washer fluid, spare lubes, etc....the wife puts the scraper in the garage in the Spring, etc. I have to hide tow straps in her jeep, etc, so they'll be there if needed. If she knew they were there, she'd want them out unless she thought she was going somewhere she might get stuck, etc.

:D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are. You are just in denial.

The first step to treatment is admitting you have a problem.

The next stage of treatment is to realize that the real problem is having unfilled niches in your collection! :devil:
Yes I have a problem. A very serious one indeed. The problem is that I can't find anyone who agrees with me that having 60+ flashlights in the house is normal. What's wrong with this world?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yes I have a problem. A very serious one indeed. The problem is that I can't find anyone who agrees with me that having 60+ flashlights in the house is normal. What's wrong with this world?

Anyone?

You need to start going to local PF events, etc.

:D