any one here edit video

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its my new hobby to back up dvds to a cd ,but still remain dvd quality its fun there are so many good codecs last movie i backed up was the hulk it wssd kinda tough cause it was a long movie but i did a dual pass with divx on slow encodeing and force film and it dont look bad

was_jlh

Enlightened
Haven't lately, was burning some from the groups and from tv capture card. It is a lot of fun. Using linux or windows?

Joe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well if ya encode them in divx there are very few dvd players that ya can veiw them with. you can encode in svcd or vcd and many dvd players will be able to view them but svcd and vcd is very poor quialty im thinking there maybe just mpeg 1 maybe 2.but i belive more dvd players will suport divx soon.divx is a mpegs 4 type a codec dvd a cousree is mpeg 2

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i am a big fan of linux to i try a new distro weekly lol im a big fan a puppy linux i hang out and read distrowatch daily

was_jlh

Enlightened
My question wasn't clear. You doing the video work with Linux tools or Windows tools? I found that I preferred Linux tools because of the level of control on the final product.

Joe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o my bad i use win2k for editing.i wish i could find some good aps in linux though i bet it would be faster..this movie has been editing for like 23 hours on a amd 3200 slow slow

was_jlh

Enlightened
Just took a quick look at my notes from the last time I did this ( May, 2003 ). Looks like I used streamer, lav2mpeg, and arson, was happy with the results, and they played fine in my Apex dvd player. Mine was all tv capture though, not doing whole dvds like you are, don't know how long they would take.

Joe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
right now im trying to get a full movie on 350 megs at dvd quality ...a course in its dvd format it was like over 5 gigs

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, ive converted a few DVDs to AVI's. My favourite tool is Flaskmpeg, nice and simple. And you should give the Xvid codec a go too, ive had much better results with that than Divx.
For those of you trying to find a Divx set top player, try : http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=dp1000&v=press

They do a range of mpeg4 compatible players, some with HDs to record TV, some with ethernet connections. Exciting times indeed for PC multimedia.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah gota love xvid its open source and free.and a pretty fast codec