LED Flashlights & Salt Water

snoop75

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

I've recently picked up the hobby of kayaking. During the week I participate in a group kayak training session in the bay, very early in the morning. The problem is that the morning session is very early and at this time of the year in Australia it means that we are training in pitch black conditions. I do have a marine grade kayak deck light which ensures that those around me can see me. However I'd like to bring one of my flashlights to allow me to read the waves better.

In particular I am thinking about taking my SWM M10A with me, attached to a headband or perhaps the shoulder of my life jacket. Of all the lights I own this one has the broadest beam so will probably give me the best short-distance visibility.

On most days the light will get very minimal salt water spray from my paddle. If I am unlucky I will tip the boat and fall in, meaning that my light will be submerged under 10cm - 20cm of salt water for a couple of minutes, until I manage to get back into my kayak.

Question - how will my M10A fare?

Should I bring it along, or look for an alternative solution, such as purpose built dive lights (if such a thing exists)?

Cheers!

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the usual suggestions: Maintain your lubrication and Orings -- will serve well. Do rinse the light off after use. And like anything else with kayaking, don't take stuff you can't bear to break.