Maglite bulbs

Buck268

Newly Enlightened
This is probably a no-brainer, but are they any "better than OEM" bulbs out there for Mag-lites? Both full sized (3D to be specific, if it matters) as well as "AA" mini-mags. Thanks!

pahl

Enlightened
I just replaced my AA maglite bulb and switch with a badboy from the sandwitch shop.

I think the light output is alot like the Surefire KL1 now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always try to find a least a halogen bulb for my maglights, and a lens replacement from flashlightlens.com for maximum light output.

Chuck

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard that the Brinkmann Nexstar bulbs are good upgrades for the MiniMag. As for the big Mags, go for krypton bulbs made by Mag or others. Get xenon bulbs if you can find them. Then overdrive. Put a 2-cell bulb in a 3-cell torch. Put 4C batteries in your 3D body and drive a 3-cell bulb. That's the easiest thing to do. Your bulb life will be shortened but you'll get more light while it lasts.

Wilkey

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nexstar Lamps

I got my Nexstar lamps from here. They increase light output (whiter and brighter) but at the expense of shorter run time. I have not tried lithiums in them yet.

On this subject of AA mag drop ins, I know InRetech and sandwich each offer one. InReTech (is the opalec newbeam?) may run longer but is dimmer, and Sandwichshop runs a luxeon in it making it brighter but shorter run time. Which one is good to run on alkaline/lithium batteries. I think Badboy and Madmax from dat2zip each run better on a different battery source, one being alkaline/lithium and the other being rechargable. I prefer alkaline and lithiums because I don't have to recharge them. If things work out the way it goes though, I might just have to get one or two, or three....

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the excellent xenon bulbs for mags at Home Depot and Lowes they make a major difference in the light I have not found any xenon bulbe for the 5 d cell yet but might try the 4 cell bulb for grins, I just hate to trash good products by misuse.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried the xenon Mag bulbs, and they are definitely an upgrade from the stock krypton bulbs that come in the light. Maglite claims that the xenon bulbs will also increase runtime by a couple hours or so, but I haven't performed a runtime test. They are much whiter, though. I found mine at Ace Hardware.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In a M*glite, the Xenon Star bulbs in my opinion will give an almost lazer 'spot'. But will STILL not open up to a flood for crap.

I have used Xenon Star bulbs in some other lights (I have NEVER overdriven one though) and in some lights, TEC 40 for one, I find them a HUGE improvement over other bulbs.

Driving a 2 cell Krypton bulb with three cells is not very good for bulb life. Driving a 3 with 4 is good stuff! And the ratio gets better as we go higher!

I have a 3D with 4C in it, and it is a wonderful light.

And don't forget to order some Acrylite lenses!!! They can make the most AWFUL M*g beam a thing of beauty!

Buck268

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
In a M*glite, the Xenon Star bulbs in my opinion will give an almost lazer 'spot'. But will STILL not open up to a flood for crap.

I have used Xenon Star bulbs in some other lights (I have NEVER overdriven one though) and in some lights, TEC 40 for one, I find them a HUGE improvement over other bulbs.

Driving a 2 cell Krypton bulb with three cells is not very good for bulb life. Driving a 3 with 4 is good stuff! And the ratio gets better as we go higher!

I have a 3D with 4C in it, and it is a wonderful light.

And don't forget to order some Acrylite lenses!!! They can make the most AWFUL M*g beam a thing of beauty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would I find both the lenses and the bulbs?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
JasonC8301
The MadMax/Badboy will run on either alkaline, lithium, rechargeable, or heavy duty. I assume you got the impression that the BB is better on rechargeable batteries because they don't drain the batteries down as far as the MM will and therefore you wouldn't reverse the polarity of your batteries. I have read that some prefer the BB for this reason. I use rechargeable batteries in the MadMax+ and this is not a problem.
The Inretch runs better on lithium batteries.