Buyer´s Remorse: How big is too big for EDC?

BMV

Newly Enlightened
I recently returned to reading CPF after a long time away. Back in the day, any light cranking out 60 lumens was jaw-dropping. I was excited with all the new releases, and it didn´t take long before I was sucked right back into it, ended up ordering a Jetbeam PA10.

Now I am experimenting a bit of buyer´s remorse, because I bought this flashlight for every day carry and frankly, I don´t know if I am gonna end up carrying it all that much. I have been spoiled by AAA flashlights and the Jetbeam PA10, with a length of 109mm, seems to be a huge step up in size. I am worried it will take up too much pocket space. Maybe my opinion will change once the light arrives, and I have never had a light this size (only smaller for EDC and bigger for around the house) but right now I would rather had not purchased it.

How big do you go for pocket carry? Why?

Glad to see CPF is still this great. Best regards to all.

jades_lucky

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you went too big for pocket carry - I carry a SC52 with me everyday and don't notice it at all. That said I would not go over a single cell AA or CR123 for EDC just because it tends to get in my way.
I hope you got a 14500 with your new light to see max output
Enjoy to new toy!

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
Would EDC only those physically carried in a holster or pocket?

The reason I ask is that with the very low lumens of the TM 26, I find myself using it more than just out-doors. It is certainly too big for pocket carry.

For pocket carry, I like the Nitecore EC 25 and the Fenix PD 32 UE, though the Fenix gets more night-time reading due to its nice diffuser cap. Either can be found in my side pocket quite a bit. As others have posted recently, it isn't necessary to hit 700 or 800 lumens in a small every-day carry type flashlight, but it sure is nice having the feature should we need it.

I like the EC 25 short size, but the smaller width on the Fenix.
I like the blinking indicator light on the EC 25. (including checking battery strength). I would have loved it to have been 25mm width but I understand the new upcoming Nitecore RST series will have 2 or 3 that has the small width that I love. Yet, their RST 7 hits 1000 lumens and has the wonderful color changes.

It is interesting to read your comments about "back in the day", and if you have time, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how things have changed.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I usually wear jeans and then the max size is AAA-light with pocket clip in my front pocket.
With jeans I find both AA and 123 to bulky.
If I wear something like tactical pants I can EDC 2x123 or maybe 2xAA lights but that doesn't happen very often.
At the moment (winter) I also have a 123 light (ZL SC30W) in my jacket pocket.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't wear tight pants, I can fit a ZLS6330 in my front pant pocket.

:D

I think its a bit large though for that, but its doable. Better for a coat pocket though.

I've also had a 47's S12, Klarus XT11 (A lot), ZLSC600, Armytec Pred/Viking, SF C2, etc.

Anything less than ~ 6" works OK, longer than that gets bulky for me at least.

Its VERY subjective.

If you were the kid whining to your mom that your socks were bunchy, etc...maybe you can't tolerate even feeling that something is there.

If you can be conscious something is there and tune it out if it doesn't hurt...almost anything will fit.

Almost everyone is somewhere between those extremes...and only YOU will know how big is too big, for you.

For me, less than 6" and ~ 1" barrel with the head not too much more than that works fine everyday. Start adding turbo heads, etc, and the pocketability, for me, goes further south.

:D

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 mm X 22 mm is perfect EDC for me. 120 X 25 works. Larger than that is belt or coat carry for sure. I usually use a neck lanyard or front pocket.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I tend to have a few diffrent EDC lights, in the winter I like a light with more runtime and output and will take a 18650 or 123^2 size in a coat pocket no problem. When the weather requires that I shed a jacket the AA is about right for me. But the newer AAA have me looking at them for summer cary. I may be the only CPF'er who does not own a AAA LED light I was not impressed by them a few years ago and went to bigger lights, but now some are peaking my interest.

makapuu

Enlightened
When I'm on my days off, or after work, I dress like a bum. Baggy cargo shorts, T shirt, slippers. You guys on the mainland call then flip- flops.
I EDC lights such as a NiteCore TM15, BlackShadow Terminator, and soon to be arriving NiteCore TM26
As you can see, I'm hooked on flood with throw lights, while still being fairly portable. (With cargo shorts)
It offers the best of both worlds for me. The lower modes the lights offers still allows my to be low key.
But when I need to, I can unleash the lumens.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
To BMV:

You sound like you put some thought into your purchase of the PA10. Therefore, I see a silver lining in that if you decide that it is inconvenient to EDC it in your pants, then I think it is likely you'll eventually find some other use for it ... camping trip, going for a walk at night, your indoor pet accidentally escapes out into the yard at night and now you have to find it, etc.

All I wear I are jeans of different brands, and my EDC is a 5" MiniAAx2 from 4sevens in my front left pocket from first thing in the morning till last thing at night. The jeans have front pockets of varying lengths. The length of this torch is only inconvenient when I'm driving the stick-shift pickup truck and the particular pants have a shortish front pocket. In that scenario, I have to take the torch out and put it into the compartment of the armrest because otherwise while I'm moving my leg to shift gears the torch is either uncomfortable or gets accidentally turned on. For me, I think 5" is the longest torch I likely could comfortably EDC.

fireonhigh

Newly Enlightened
i carry a nitecore mh2c 18hours per day,holstered on a carabiner ..its not big and very bright,use it alot starting work at 5am,lol:)

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here where I live, there is a big difference in how much light there is in the winter and in the summer. In the summer there really isn't as much need for flashlights outside, and lighter dressing without big pockets makes flashlight carrying more difficult, so an AAA light is often as big as I would want to get (and even this may be uncomfortable), but if I have the opportunity (clothing with enough room) then I would want to go bigger as in the AA to 2 X CR123 range. In the winter time it is cold and dark, so I wear jackets with deep pockets. I have recently moved from a SF E2L to a SF C3 with Malkoff drop-in because the E2L jammed in the bottom of the pocket and was difficult to get out, but in one of my jackets even the C3 is a little bit to short to avoid jamming, so I'm probably going to put together a 2 x 18650 light (maybe a Malkoff MD4 body with MD2 head).
So how big is too big depends on what you wear and how you are going to carry it, in my experience a light can also be too small to EDC.

N_N_R

Enlightened
I have the same problem... lol. I've always liked one AAA lights especially with modern lights and their capabilities... but two weeks or so ago I bought my Fenix E25 and I've been trying to carry it with me all the time.... I've put it in cargo pockets (it's about 15cm) or my EDC bag. I also think I'll just enjoy it for a few months and when the excitement cools down and I'd like to again go more compact, I'll leave it for my BOB or home use and go for AAAs again. So, the point is: may be don't get disappointed by the size, give it a try, enjoy it and if you don't like carrying a bigger light, you can always go back to the favourite AAAs :D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just did a quick count, and for work I have a total of 5 lights on me....4 in one pocket, with the knife and multi-tool, the 5th on my keys in the other pocket.

Two are 18650 sized, the others RCR123 or AA/AAA variations.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I just did a quick count, and for work I have a total of 5 lights on me....4 in one pocket, with the knife and multi-tool [...]

Do you have a pouch or small case inside that pocket for those 4 lights, or do they sit loosely inside the pocket ?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Its VERY subjective.

If you were the kid whining to your mom that your socks were bunchy, etc...maybe you can't tolerate even feeling that something is there.

I can recall whining to my mom about my socks or other clothes not feeling comfortable a couple of times when I was a kid... :whistle:

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I like AAA lights, but for keychain or pocket even they are a bit large for me. Using an AG3 lenser now, my Preon p0 gets here Friday, and the Quantum D2 next.

But in the city everyone carries bags, I think up to 5 inches with a slim head will be okay for a messenger bag or backpack edc, so I'll just use an 18650 light to replace current 1xAA bag edc.

So personally I don't have a lot of use for AA or 1xcr123. If its going in my bag, I may as well get twice the power and runtime with a 2xcr123 or 1x18650 that's just an inch or two longer. If you don't carry a bag you could leave this type of light in a glove box.

Like above poster says, it's personal preference.

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm used to my Nitecore EX10 as an EDC like the smaller size of 16340 lights over the size of AA lights. Lately got a Thrunite Archer 1A for work and that would be slightly to big for me as normal EDC. But at the end it's all about personal preferences.

rayman

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buyer´s Remorse: How big is too big for EDC?

I've edc'd up to 6" x 1.5" in my backpantspocket even. I really never noticed it after I put it on, like a pair of socks. It's just with the level of efficiency we're at now, &focusing optics to compensate for larger diameter throw heads, all the battery options, I personally don't have a need for anything bigger than a front pocket floater. There are plenty of perfectly good reasons to succumb to buyer's remorse. Give it a while, if it doesn't go away recycle it on the cpfm, otherwise just throw it in your bag/briefcase/manpurse etc. or glovebox.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
i carry a nitecore mh2c 18hours per day,holstered on a carabiner ..its not big and very bright,use it alot starting work at 5am,lol:)

This is my wife's EDC and she loves it. I wish it had a lower lumen to start, but she just loves it. She keeps the USB charger connection in her purse, so she never worries about battery change. It's a well built light. The diffuser cap from Nitecore stays on very well (better than the 34mm ones) which she uses for reading or even tail standing.

herosemblem

Enlightened
My largest EDC light uses 1x 18650 (or 2x CR123). My larger lights are mainly for fun or work-related tasks, not for EDC.