TerraLux LightStar 80 Questions

JNieporte

Enlightened
The 80 has a rubber piece on the end so you can hold it between your teeth. Does this come off easily? I'd like to put the clip where the bite ring is, and put the bite ring where the clip is (will trim the bite ring if necessary) for deeper carry.

Using fresh batteries, which is brighter, the LightStar 80 or the new (C4 version) of the Streamlight Stylus Pro?

Between the C4 Stylus Pro and the LightStar 80, which throws farther?

Last edited:

wedlpine

Enlightened
The tube is a little thicker where the bite ring is but it does come off. I don't know if the bite ring will be tight enough if you move it down the barrel. You might as well leave it off or you will be sticking quit a bit of the light in your mouth.

As far as the other stuff, I don't have a Stylus Pro so I can't tell you.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Just got the LightStar 80 in the mail. The rubber bite ring just slides off, but it's too big in diameter to be placed anywhere else on the light. The clip can be positioned where the bite ring goes (it will fit nice and snug) for deeper carry. I got the titanium-grey color, and simply removing and re-positioning the clip was enough to put some permanent scratches on the light.

The tailcap is a little too big around for me; it doesn't fit in any of my AAA holsters without really forcing it, and it won't fit in a mechanic's pocket. The LightStar 80 is about 1/3" longer than the Stylus Pro. The switch is easy to press - I think too easy - as simply laying your thumb on it often turns it on momentarily. The rubber boot has no texture; it's just smooth. The switch can be removed, as the inside of the tailcap has the two familiar holes to unscrew a retaining ring. The head and body are one piece.

On fresh alkalines (the LightStar came with two Duracells) the Stylus Pro looks brighter. This is probably because of the CRI, so I plan on having them run for a definite lumen count. The LED in mine is way off-center, and the smooth reflector adds some artifacts. The color is about 3500K. For me - a person who doesn't need colors to be their truest - the LightStar 80 is "meh" light. I'll stick with the Stylus Pro.

EDIT: The Stylus Pro and LightStar 80 were said to have the same clip. Looking at them, that's not the case.
1. The LightStar 80's clip is made of thicker metal, and is a tad bit stiffer.
2. The Stylus Pro has squared-off corners, both on the end of the clip and the sides where it attaches to the light. The LightStar 80 has rounded corners on all of those areas.
3. The anodizing is much better on the Stylus Pro.

I know these are slight differences, but the clip is either the same or it isn't. Well, it isn't. The clips are 100% interchangeable though.

Last edited: